Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know what to do next please help

Options
  • 07-06-2011 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I have been in my job just over a year. Initially it was full time 5 days a week then my hours were reduced to 3 days a week as business became tight.

I have seperated from my husband just over 3 months ago and am struggling financially. My job has always involved driving which I am paid mileage of 50c per mile.

However due to financial difficulties I can no longer afford tax and insurance on my car and so can no longer drive it. I met with my employer to discuss this today and he basically offered me no help.

Plus my employer has not paid my full mileage the previous 3 month when I claimed which I am also addressing with him. He keeps promising to "look into it" when I ask but I am getting tired of asking him at this stage.

To be honest at the rate I am being paid while paying for the car too I would be better off on SW. I just want to know if my employer lays me off how do social welfare check this as opposed to quitting the job.

I do not want to do this but cannot keep going the way I am. Talking to my employer is like banging my head of a brick wall.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lgc2010

do you have children, if so u could claim fis r u can claim for d other 3 days. social may refuse to pay u if u were t leave a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brokebroad

Hi lgc2010,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have a 10 year old child. I am currently applying for OPFP and Supplementary but these have not come through yet.

Surely though social welfare would be lenient if I explained the circumstances. After all i cannot do my job without a car and this is a direct result of my boss underpaying me.

I am going to contact NERA today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Social welfare will not make allowances on that basis.

However, if you are working a three day week you can claim JSB for the other three days of the week (Social welfare is based on a six day week) so that would potentially bring in around about 98 euro extra a week for you (half the weekly payment)

As you have applied for OPFP as well, you could approach your Community Welfare Officer in the Health board and they may be able to help with your car expenses.

You really need to chase your boss on your expenses though!

Hi Stheno,

Thanks for your reply. I have chased my boss about the expenses verbally and I sent an email outlining them also to which he has not replied. I contacted NERA today too and apparently there is nothing I can do to force him to pay the expenses.

Basically I seem to be at his mercy regarding these.

In any case I will be seeing my community welfare officer tomorrow and I will speak to him about this too.

Thanks again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

brokebroad wrote: »
    Hi Stheno,

Thanks for your reply. I have chased my boss about the expenses verbally and I sent an email outlining them also to which he has not replied. I contacted NERA today too and apparently there is nothing I can do to force him to pay the expenses.

Basically I seem to be at his mercy regarding these.

In any case I will be seeing my community welfare officer tomorrow and I will speak to him about this too.

Thanks again

Visit your local social welfare office also to get the process going for you to sign on as a part time worker

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Just an update on my situation. I was provided with a company van to travel to my work yesterday. When I asked if there would be one available tomorrow I was just told "probably".

Anyway, I arrived at work today ready to drive to my location. When I asked about a van no-one knew anything about it.I was advised to speak to my boss but then was told he was unavailable and in a meeting.

So I was left without the transport to get to my job.

I feel absolutely humiliated in this and don't think I can take much more.

I visited with a community welfare officer this morning and explained my situation re finances and the job and he told me to hold on to my job at any cost. I am not eleigible for Supplemetary Welfare Allowance and it may be some time before my OPFP comes through.

I will go to my local social welfare office later today to sign for the 2 days I am not working anyway and maybe explain the situation and find out if there's anything I can do.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Advertisement