Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murky Water

Options
  • 07-06-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

For the last week or so, the water in my 27ltr tank has been quite murky. It's well cycled, the ammonia (that was really high) has been regulated, PH is 6.5. It's a tropical tank with some endlers, neon tetra's and a couple of guppies (bridge and 2 plastic plants). Tried the clear water from the fish shop. But it's just occurred to me - I set up a light for the tank maybe 3 weeks ago. Does anyone know if this could be a cause for the water going off clarity?
    Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

algae?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

But there's no living plants in the tank - could it still be algae? It's kept in great condition otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

algae can grow from rotting food and organic waste, particularly where a light is present...

total noobie myself though, just taking a guess. Sure one of the more knowledgeables will give you a better answer soon.

thank you tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

How are you regulating your Ph? Some softening additives will release tannins in your water making it appear "tea like". Adding some activated carbon can help clear this up. If it's got a greeny tinge it could be an algae bloom, possibly caused by the new lights being too strong or on for too long.

Your PH is very low for endlers and guppies. I'd be incline to aim for a ph of 7 as a happy medium.

• Advertisement

Hi CP - We haven't been regulating the PH - that's been fairly constant all along.

I've reduced the length of time the the lights are on.

Got the water clear and gave it two doses. All back to normal TG and everyone seems happy enough.

Used to look like this
    imag0467t.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

now looks like this
    imag0474u.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fish are more active now as well. :D

Advertisement