Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New trainee accountant & accommodation in Dublin

Options
  • 07-06-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello folks

I'm starting a training contract with one of the Big 4 in Dublin cc at the end of August. I've not lived in the city center before and was looking for some help.

I was wondering what sort of price should I budget for cc accomodation?
    Also, is there a forum or other resourses where trainee accountants connect to look for accomodation?
    And, if working near Stephens Green, where do most trainees live?

Any help would be appreciated or if anyone will be looking for accomodation around that time feel free to get in contact.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

I'd look around Ranelagh/Rathmines/Doneybrook/Harolds Cross all within walking distance.

Are you in Audit or will you be based at the office all the time.

But as for rent I don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 seneca

thanks

Will be based in the office full time and dont have a car so walking distance to and from the office would be preferable, i think.

Get out google maps and look at your new job

then use daft/gumtree etc for flats/rooms etc in the surround streets and keep going further out till you see a price range you like.

If you know what college you'll be going to, I'd factor that in to your search too.

Would be interested in living with people in the same work situation as myself ie young professional working and studying at the same time.

I dont know of anyone looking for a place at that particular time in the cc and was wondering if there was a way to find out, other than using daft and gumtree.

You should use them to get a rough idea of prices etc, if you don't know the areas any pointers like that would be of benefit to you.

Perhaps there are people you know from your hometown or who were a year or two ahead of you in college that you could also ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

you could place a add on daft yourself and say your looking to life with people who work in the same field as yourself or who work & study and you want to live within walking distance of CC - that way ppl in that situation can contact you if they have something to suit u

cheers messrs

just after checking out daft there and sounds like a good way to go. They have a room wanted section as well as a team up section to find ppl who are in a similiar situation to myself as well as a time frame as to when I am looking to move in.

Will give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vivagora

You in Deloitte?! Me and my friends are in the same situation and we are going living in Dublin 6/8 through advice by friends that work for Big 4. Due to the horrible weather last year last thing you want is not being able to get to work so going for access to bus and luas. Walking to work would be a nightmare in suits especially with Irish weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mollymalone100

Hi all..I am starting tax in deloitte in 2 weeks time and still have no accommodation.. Has anybody got accommodation yet?? Did I leave it abit late??? can anybody recommend areas?? Rathmines??I am very stuck.. Are most people moving in with friends or staying alone??? Any advice would be much appreciated.. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vivagora

We live in Dundrum because of access to luas. Cant stand buses especially with rush hour traffic before and after work. Ideally Ranelagh and Rathmines would be great we couldnt find a nice house big enough for our group there though. Dont go northside because it would be too hard to cross liffey for Deloitte. Luas saves time in morning but its expensive and rent increases in houses near it. I reckon its worth it for extra time in bed!

Wouldnt go over 450 a month rent because of bills on top of that given our salary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mollymalone100

Vivagora wrote: »
    We live in Dundrum because of access to luas. Cant stand buses especially with rush hour traffic before and after work. Ideally Ranelagh and Rathmines would be great we couldnt find a nice house big enough for our group there though. Dont go northside because it would be too hard to cross liffey for Deloitte. Luas saves time in morning but its expensive and rent increases in houses near it. I reckon its worth it for extra time in bed!

Wouldnt go over 450 a month rent because of bills on top of that given our salary.
    Thank you very much for your reply. That is very helpful. I will take your advice and look into Ranelagh and Rathmines. Dundrum sounds very appealing but think I will try to get somewhere closer. But I'd say that it is a bargain for ya if you are moving in with a group. Are there many in your group?? 2 girls im friends with asked me to move in with them but im weary of living and working with friends although on the plus you do know the people..thank you again

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ros_lad

I'm starting soon too. Looking for a place at the moment. Wondering if anyone knows how the pwc bus operates before we decide on a location. Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ros_lad wrote: »
    I'm starting soon too. Looking for a place at the moment. Wondering if anyone knows how the pwc bus operates before we decide on a location. Thanks

With PWC you would ideally live in IFSC or Spencer Dock. However it is walkable from the DART and the PWC bus goes to O'Connell Street and Stephens Green so you can really live anywhere in the city. To walk you would be looking at D1 and D2. Careful where you look though as there are dodgey areas in both.

Advertisement