Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking Boots: Which ones to buy & where?

Options
  • 07-06-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,
    I'm looking to buy a new pair of hiking boots and was hoping someone could give me some good advice! I find the leather ones can be very heavy and worry they could be tough on the feet. Am I better off going for a lighter pair? Also where's the best place to get the best range and value? All advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deegster

I'm based in Dublin. I'm happy to spend up to €150/160ish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I recently bought a pair of Brasher Hillmaster's/

http://www.walking.org/walking-equipment/our-reviews/brasher-hillmaster-gtx-review/

I got them -20% in Millets but they are well within your budget at full price. A very good boot worn by many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I can't really help you since I'm no expert, but a couple of things I've learnt the hard way:
    1. I wouldn't buy online. At least not your first pair of a particular boot. It might work out, but it almost certainly won't.
    2. Bring your own socks that you'll wear out on the hills and try on boots with them. If there's any play or looseness, don't buy. That movement will turn into blisters.
    3. Do a few lunges in the shop. This will show you where the upper will crease when walking. If there's any pinching, don't buy them.
    4. If the top of the ankle of the boot is very stiff (except with leather and it will probably soften), there's a good chance it will rub and cause blisters or irritation.
    5. When you've chosen your boots, don't wear first them on a trip. Wear them around the house for a good few days. If there's any pinching or blisters, I'd bring them back.
    6. Boots are one of those things where expense is no guarantee of comfort (or quality for that matter), so you should check out the cheapo boots as well as the Hanwags and Matterhorns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

go into the great outdoors and get your foot measured , guys there will recommend a boot , a bit more pricey than others but worth it for the service and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

I've had two pairs of brasher supalite,great boot.Well worth the money.Think they were €150 in the great outdoors,about the average price...The great outdoors was a bit dearer than other shops but they seem to tightened up their pricing......best of look and enjoy the walking

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I'd definitely recommend going into Great Outdoors for sizing. Every boot is different. I got new boots a couple of weeks back, and tried on a huge variety of boots in Great Outdoors, Some boots just didn't fit me well while others were great fitting.

The other thing to think about is what kind of usage will they be for? Will you be mainly walking on tracks and trails in which a lightweight boot (like the Brashers already mentioned would be good). Or will you be off track hiking? In which a stiffer boot like Meindl would be better.

The people in Great Outdoors will recommend boots depending on what you plan to do anyway! And remember to wear them around the house for a few days before going outside to make sure they are comfortable and give them a chance to adjust to your feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Agree with the advice already given.
    Also, get a good pair of socks also to avoid friction and wicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

Make sure that you have good quality boots, avoid at all costs buying them over the internet or from Saturday staff. Choose a shop where the assistants know what they are talking about. Go to the best boot selling shop you can find and ask for their best fitter to help you. Don't prelook at the boots on the wall or you will have in your mind a preference based on looks. They all look the same covered in mud.

Don't decide on a brand of boot in advance, every boot manufacturer uses a different foot template and no matter how much you like a brand of boot they may not suite your feet.

Take your own socks with you when you buy them. Your feet will swell on a long walk and you need room to cope with that. One tip is to remove the inner from a pair of boots and stand on it. Your weight will flatten your arch and your foot will stretch, with full weight applied you should still have a cm between your toes and the front of the inner. The other thing to watch for is heel lift, try walking up a ramp, your heel should not lift up and down and rub the back of the boot.
    Take your time and dont buy boots youre not 100% happy with. Don't be afraid to look like a berk… be really picky and if you are not satisfied with the professionalism of the assistant...leave without buying. At they end of the day its your feet that must be satisfied, not the shops sales figures.
    Many a good walk is ruined by badly fitting boots.
    Don't worry too much about price, blister plasters cost a fortune.
    Happy hiking.;)

• Advertisement

Okay, I know what I'm saying might appall people.

But when you see a pair of fairly highly regarded boots like Scarpa Mantas second hand on some site for €100, and you know they are your size, it's very hard to persuade someone that it's not worth taking the punt. That's a saving of €150.

I got my Meindl "almost new" for €50, through a friend of a friend. They were a tad uncomfortable around where the upper creased for the first couple of walks, dunno if they readjusted, or if my feet just got immune, or whether putting in soles worked, but now they feel like a second skin, they have kept my feet dry for coming up to 2 years now, and wouldn't cross the road without them.

I have told many people here that, no matter what else you do, get the boot right. On the other hand (and the OP seems to be used to walking, so this does not apply to him), for first time walkers the prospect of going in and getting feet measured and paying a fair wedge of money is very offputting. Particularly if the limit of the use is a trek a couple of times a month. I wonder is it not a teensy bit like running sites where everyone talks about getting feet tested and buying the top of the range €200 runners when a lot of people just want to get out and do the odd 5km or 10km and is almost daunted by the advice on footwear.

Think of the great Victorian explorers. Think of even more recent hillwalking exponents like Richard Mersey with his flannel shirt and stout brogues. Think of Alfred Wainwright. I appreciate they may well suffered for their enthusiasm mind...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I wonder is it not a teensy bit like running sites where everyone talks about getting feet tested and buying the top of the range €200 runners when a lot of people just want to get out and do the odd 5km or 10km and is almost daunted by the advice on footwear..

don't see that on running sites much, a trip to get gait analysis usually puts someone in shoes costing less than €100. Its about getting the right shoes, not the dearest ones. People with certain gaits can get very cheap shoes.

Imo hiking boots are pretty overpriced in general, but I do nearly all my walking in trail runners costly less than €100 also. Personally I wouldn't be bothered with boots unless carrying a heavy pack or on really bad weather days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

copacetic wrote: »
    don't see that on running sites much, a trip to get gait analysis usually puts someone in shoes costing less than €100. Its about getting the right shoes, not the dearest ones. People with certain gaits can get very cheap shoes.

Imo hiking boots are pretty overpriced in general, but I do nearly all my walking in trail runners costly less than €100 also. Personally I wouldn't be bothered with boots unless carrying a heavy pack or on really bad weather days.

Boots can be expensive, but a good pair is likely a lifetime investment. As they get old, you can replace everything on them at reasonable prices. The problem with runners is you get six months, admittedly longer with trail shoes, and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Cotswold Outdoors on the way into Belfast.

I am from North Dublin and anytime I need advice I go to them. The staff are very knowledgable and they have a great selection of gear at "ok" prices.

I returned a pair of Mammut boots to Snow & Rock after wearing around the house for a few days. I went back to Meindl in the end as they just suit my foot type. I recall the guy in S&R being very helpfull but slightly pushing the sale which is how I ended up with the wrong boot.

On the flip side the guy in CO's was very relaxed and even said to walk around the shop for a half hour in them and not just a kick on a step and a few star jumps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Hope this isn't off topic but when buying new walking boots, I always stock up on wooly socks with loads of padding and it isn't a bad time to but a pair of nylon gaiters to save the ends of your jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

meindl vakuum. great boots

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Deegster

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all your advice. I went into The Great Outdoors at the weekend and picked up a pair of Salomon. The store is a bit pricey but the service is amazing so well worth the additional euro.
    I'm a very happy hiker now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fonkalei

just for those looking for boots in future - capel st camping are excellent. the service is outstanding & yr man gave me a discount & threw in a couple of pairs of hiking socks for free. I def recommend giving them a try.

my criteria for choosing boots were:

- comfort
    - reasonably lightweight (as much as hiking boots can get)
    - good reviews (check out online)
    - waterproof
    - price

best of luck
    :D

Advertisement