Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Office Power Point Slides Look Rubbish is MS

• 07-06-2011 3:08pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭

They are being saved as ppt files, but the formatting etc gets lost / messed up when opened in the microsoft suite. Is there any way to get around this?

Save as a pdf perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

I have had some success with the fork of openoffice, LibreOffice.
    It has many improvements built into it, a lot of them to do with compatability.

Also, if you go from one version of MS Office to another they tend to look bad too. You could alternatively install LibreOffice impress on the machine you need to do the presentation from.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Also try IBM's Symphony, another fork of OpenOffice. They've put a lot of work into MS Office compatibility so it often works better than OOo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I personally will never install Symphony again after the complete balls-up they made of the first release and total lack of support for that balls up.

Libre and OO.o save files in the same format afaik so I don't know if that will help. Aren't there different save filters? Maybe try to save in a different version of Powerpoint and see if that helps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

a more appropriate thread title might be "MS Powerpoint can't read standard open document format" ... but I guess that wouldn't tell us anything new. One version of powerpoint can barely manage to read another. Hardly surprising that it messes up everything else too. Let's face it MS put a lot of $$$ and effort into making sure their office application is incompatible with everything else, that's their sales strategy! The only way to be 100% sure of getting around this is to stop using MS office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

croo wrote: »
    a more appropriate thread title might be "MS Powerpoint can't read standard open document format" ... but I guess that wouldn't tell us anything new. One version of powerpoint can barely manage to read another. Hardly surprising that it messes up everything else too. Let's face it MS put a lot of $$$ and effort into making sure their office application is incompatible with everything else, that's their sales strategy! The only way to be 100% sure of getting around this is to stop using MS office.

agree 100%
    MS have market share and try to force everyone to use their software I find it most disheartening the continuing pressure to upgrade to newest version with little backward compatibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement