Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Clubs in Ireland and why you recommend them

Options
  • 07-06-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

OK, The question was asked and turned into a shambles so I'm going to ask it again but this time in a different way.

Someone is looking to join a club or know about clubs on the north side,
    It would be appreciated if people with experience of there clubs could give some positives about the club they trained in and why they love there clubs

I'm going to open it up as an all Ireland thread and let people from any club give there reason to recommend there clubs and hopefully some from the North side of Dublin will get in!!

Keep the negatives off here as we don't want a flame war starting and most clubs get on anyway and it should stay that way

Please keep this on topic and only answer if you have something relevant to the conversation.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

I had trained kickboxing in a club back home before I moved to Dublin and realised that the coaching I had been getting was not up to scratch and was been taught by someone with a huge ego that know's it all!!!

When I walked in to SBG I felt at home straight away as everyone was friendly and extremely helpfull.

The level of coaching is amazing and there is a great atmosphere in the gym. The facility's are really good too so that also helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

To go off on a bit of a tangent... What would any of the clubs on here do if one of their fighters was training at 2 different clubs.. We'll say training mainly BJJ at SBG and stand up at RFA?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

cowzerp wrote: »
    Please keep this on topic

Although Scaregilly, I doubt that would work out very well. Besides we have Owen Roddy and Conor McGregor for stand up so why need to?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I know a lot of people who might be interested in taking up MMA/BJJ feel they need to get fitter before they join. I know I did, but in the end I just ended up biting the bullet and heading up to SBG to check it out. That was in September last year. I was 18 stone, not particularly fit, new to the city and kind of shy initially with most people.

I wanted to try MMA, but it was mainly BJJ. I started the 12 week introductory course in both, missing some days due to work, but making it down 2 times a week at least. This grew to 3 and eventually 4 at least, sometimes 5. I stopped the MMA in favour of BJJ not long into the first few months. I was injured for the last month, but I'm back on the mats again. So in all I've been there 10 months. Not a long time, but a lot has changed for me in the time I've spent as a member.

In that time, I've dropped to 15 stone by a combination of training and eating (mostly) right. I've become obsessed with the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to the point where I'm constantly visualizing situations in my head whilst trying to get to sleep! I think I'm improving week after week and I'm always learning and trying to test myself against anyone who'll roll with me.

But, mostly importantly, I feel like I'm a part of something. Like, a big family. The people who work and train and fight for the club have welcomed me and I'm proud to call some of them friends. I've hardly met a person in there who wasn't sound to be quite honest.

I think the rep of the place is second to none. I don't need to list the achievements or the coaching credentials the place possess. So I thought I'd tell a more personal point of view rather than just saying "Yeah it's deadly, awesome trainers, good atmosphere".

Apologies for the length of the post, but I really wanted to try and show how much this place has changed my life in such a short span of time.

I know this would probably have happened to me no matter where I joined, but I'm glad it was SBG.

The Combat Sports Centre in Limerick and Pedro Bessa in Cork also deserve a mention as I've trained in both places; I spent a week or two in Pedro Bessa before getting a job and moving to Dublin.

Peace,

Richy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

ScareGilly wrote: »
    To go off on a bit of a tangent... What would any of the clubs on here do if one of their fighters was training at 2 different clubs.. We'll say training mainly BJJ at SBG and stand up at RFA?

Just to give a quick answer, if fighter was going to compete it would not be ideal, who would he fight for and he'd know both teams fighters and in theory could help 1 Team over the other if they where to compete.

Also a club should cater for all areas of the Mma game, especially the top teams who would tend to be well rounded.

Thanks for the experiences lads, it's refreshing to hear these type of stories on here rather than negativity

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Im fairly new to MMA (at the age of 34) but I done Kempo and Bushido for years when I was younger. Like Ritchy06, I was out of shape and although I was training a lot doing weights, my cardio wasn't as good as I thought it was - this was due to smashing my knee to pieces about 7 years ago! I started MMA with Leixlip Shootfighters and really enjoyed it but that club closed and due to work commitments and getting married, I had to take some time off.

I was looking for a new club and when Husaria moved from Celbridge to Clane that made my mind up. Have been going for a few weeks now training in MMA and Judo. Mariusz and Ivan are great Instructors and will really push you but they understand that it takes time to get the fitness back... all they expect is that you give it your all and don't hold back. Their knowledge is brilliant and they really pass it on well and are always on hand to make sure you get it right, they have great patience! The atmosphere in the club is brilliant and everyone is friendly and respectful. I thought it might be a bit intimidating but its definitely not.

Their new premises is great and very big and although its a work in progress its well equipped. I would definitely recommend it as a club for both beginners and experienced fighters.

The one thing I have noticed is that I really need to increase the number of sessions I do a week, at the moment I am doing 1 session of Judo and 1 of MMA but I am going to up this to 2 of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I'd recommend Point Blank in Galway. Mainly because we painted the place at the weekend and it's looking well! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Tim sells it short, The pillars are black, the walls are magnolia AND the floor is red (well kinda maroony). it's awesome:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Tim sells it short, The pillars are black, the walls are magnolia AND the floor is red (well kinda maroony). it's awesome:D

True. :) Everything in the weights corner is vaguely magnolia-y at the moment, not sure that's a good thing though.

Advertisement