Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Need to resize logo?

Options
  • 07-06-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi.. Im googling away all morning trying to resize a logo which is showing jagged around the edges/blurred when I upload it to Facebook.

* The logo is saved as jpeg 543 x 122 - 48.3kb

* I copied it into word and saved it twice as GIF and PNG which is now showing on both as 17.5kb in size

Is there an easy way, preferably online, where I can upload the logo and resize in order to achieve the quality im looking for for Facebook? I havent used photoshop so would prefer to steer clear for now as Im in a hurry to launch the page.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It's really easy to do it in Photoshop (and I'm guessing other free programs like Gimp etc).

All you do is...

1) Open your image in PS - File > Open (your file)
    2) Then go to Image > Image Size
    3) Set the width and height to whatever dimensions FB uses. (Make sure that a little box called "constrain proportions" is ticked. This means that if you alter the width then the height gets automatically adjusted (and vise versa) so the ratio remains the same.
    4) Then go to Save > Save for Web Devices (you can select file type (gif, jpg, png) and quality)
    5) Boom!

The manual way of doing this is by selecting the layer you are working on and holding ctrl+T. A box then appears around you image that allows you increase/ decrease the size by left clicking (holding the button) and moving the box. If you hold shift while you are doing this it is the same as ticking the "constrain proportions" box above.

Alternatively, you might be able to upload your image onto imageshack and set the dimensions there.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by jagged edges - it's difficult to say if the above methods will remove these without know more about the image and the dimensions you want to resize to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JonW

Excellent stuff! ill try that now! About time i started using photoshop! cheers

Keep me posted.

I meant to add that if you untick "constrain proportions" then you are allowed to set the x and y axes (width and height) independently.

I see that you have to pay for Photoshop so im in the process of downloading GIMP..according to Cnet users they say its the Photoshop for FREE! Have you/anyone tried it? Are "constrain proportions" used in Gimp also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What in God's name made you use Word ?

There is an image resizer power toy for Microsoft Windows if you're badly stuck, but Photoshop is the way to go if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I prefer Paint.NET to GIMP. It looks and feels more like Photoshop though lighter in features.

Paint.NET

What in God's name made you use Word ?

It was sent to me in jpeg so popped it into word to save as GIF as suggested.
    I prefer Paint.NET to GIMP. It looks and feels more like Photoshop though lighter in features.

Ill take a look thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shanno06

I've always used Photoshop but on the odd occasion when I've been using diffferent computers without it on, I've had to use GIMP. Honestly, I absolutely hate GIMP. I find it really difficult to use compared to Photoshop. If you are planning on doing much image manipulation in the future I'd invest in Photoshop or "acquire" it somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

JonW wrote: »
    It was sent to me in jpeg so popped it into word to save as GIF as suggested.

That was my question - why ? Who suggested that ?

Word is a word-processor, not a graphics package. And - IIRC - it doesn't even "resize" images....it does what FrontPage used to do and changes the display size of images within a document, leaving the image itself at the original dimensions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

chakotha wrote: »

Paint.NET

+1 on Paint.NET, great program.

If you're using MacOS, Paintbrush is a small image editor that can be useful (but not as good as Paint.NET).

Firstly, im completely new to editing such.. I only copied into word to convert to GIF and PNG to see if it uploaded in better quality to Facebook profile. Looking at Paint.net it seems to be easier to use v Gimp so I will use this in future thanks for that.. I have just edited the logo/sharpened it up with this very easy to use program http://www.resizr.com Perfect!

Looking at some tips re facebook profile pics.. It seems that 500 x 112 is best for size so im thinking as my logo is 543 x 122 its impossible to stretch in proportion.. Im thinking of incorporating the logo onto a product photo.
    How do I do this/overlap and resize the logo onto a picture in Paint.net?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Firstly, im completely new to editing such.. I only copied into word to convert to GIF and PNG to see if it uploaded in better quality to Facebook profile. Looking at Paint.net it seems to be easier to use v Gimp so I will use this in future thanks for that.. I have just edited the logo/sharpened it up with this very easy to use program http://www.resizr.com Perfect!

Looking at some tips re facebook profile pics.. It seems that 500 x 112 is best for size so im thinking as my logo is 543 x 122 its impossible to stretch in proportion.. Im thinking of incorporating the logo onto a product photo.
    How do I do this/overlap and resize the logo onto a picture in Paint.net?

Thanks again!

Not entirely sure what you want to do - do you want to superimpose your logo on to a photograph of a product? Do you want it to appear like it is on the packaging of the product, or is it just to put a "watermark" on the image to show it's yours?

By the way, you should always keep your logo and other images at a true proportion, it just looks bad when the proportions are obviously stretched.

I see that you have to pay for Photoshop so im in the process of downloading GIMP..according to Cnet users they say its the Photoshop for FREE! Have you/anyone tried it? Are "constrain proportions" used in Gimp also?

Yes, Photoshop will set you back €100's. Gimp/ Pint.net almost certainly has a similar feature - but it might be called something else. You probably don't need to worry about this feature too much (just be aware of it). If you do decide to manually resize your image just make sure you don't distort it too much or else you have something that looks like those fairground mirrors.

543x122 will resize to 500x112. But even if it wasn't perfect, people wont notice a few pixels difference here and there.

Thanks for all your feedback! Paint.net is definitely the way to go for beginners

Advertisement