Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Meteor Carrier Settings Update Now Available

Options
  • 06-06-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

Just opened up my iTunes and got a dialogue box pop up informing me that a Meteor carrier settings update is now available. Only took a few seconds to update the settings.
    Went in to check the data settings and you can no longer manually enter in them.

iPhone must be landing on Meteor soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Tonio

I am on Meteor with a 3GS and was prompted to update carrier settings. I declined. Is there any advantage/disadvantage of accepting this update over entering the settings manually (as I have done up to now)?:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tonio wrote: »
    I am on Meteor with a 3GS and was prompted to update carrier settings. I declined. Is there any advantage/disadvantage of accepting this update over entering the settings manually (as I have done up to now)?:confused:

if the only change is the data manual input to e lost then no, but O2 and Vodafone have hidden items that ban tethering etc

doesnt affect me tbh so i accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

There's a thread on this here also:
    http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=1953&pid=11891&st=0&#entry11891

I declined the update. I don't want to be stopped from tethering / using Personal Hotspot.

Has anyone who has accepted the update tried tethering? Is it still working of have Meteor disabled it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Does it definitely disable tethering?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Kensington wrote: »
    Does it definitely disable tethering?

I accepted the update and just tethered my iPad to my iPhone so it doesn't disable it. Additional costs are another thing. I'll have to way till my bill date until I know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

They are releasing the Iphone 4 soon, its on the meteor homepage.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I accepted the update and just tethered my iPad to my iPhone so it doesn't disable it. Additional costs are another thing. I'll have to way till my bill date until I know.

We need to see if it changes the APN used for tethering. If it does, Meteor can apply different charges for internet tethering, based on using the new APN.

We need to see if it changes the APN used for tethering. If it does, Meteor can apply different charges for internet tethering, based on using the new APN.

I'm hoping they don't do this to us, I use tethering a lot for my iPad. Don't fancy paying extra.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I'm hoping they don't do this to us, I use tethering a lot for my iPad. Don't fancy paying extra.

Even if they do, I'm pretty sure it's possible to bypass / edit the APN used. Just a bit of a pain that's all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

That's the thing Kotek, with meteors new carrier update, they have removed the 'cellular data network' tab, so you can't manually enter the APN settings or the mms settings, which is a bit of a pain in the ring!

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    That's the thing Kotek, with meteors new carrier update, they have removed the 'cellular data network' tab, so you can't manually enter the APN settings or the mms settings, which is a bit of a pain in the ring!

I think there are apps to install which force the 'cellular data network' tab to re-appear though.

Yes but if I was you I wouldnt advise people of this as it may only get their hopes up.

To install these 'apps' you need to have your phone jailbroken, which let's face it, lots of people don't!

has anyone else noticed that there connection seems to be throttled somewhat since accepting this settings update?

My facebook app barely works(constantly getting "no internet connection") and safari is very very slow of late also!

has anyone else noticed that there connection seems to be throttled somewhat since accepting this settings update?

My facebook app barely works(constantly getting "no internet connection") and safari is very very slow of late also!

I don't think this is happening since the carrier settings update. I was having these problems long before the update. But it did start happening after Meteor announced the iPhone being supported.

Maybe meteors changing things around. Slowing connections down temporarily??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Its definitely happpening me a lot on Meteor the last few days, multiple times a day

I keep getting messages data settings lost, and no service ,
    and connection lost on facebook

its frustrating becuase the 200/200/1gb bundle for 25.00 euro is a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Even if they do, I'm pretty sure it's possible to bypass / edit the APN used. Just a bit of a pain that's all.

I tethered to the ipad with the new carrier settings then looked at my bill online the next day and there was no charge for the data. Fingers crossed I wont be charged when i'm DD'ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The data charges are usually updated within a few hours hours so fingers crossed you're OK!

Disappointing to hear of slow speeds and network issues with the new carrier files though. Maybe they are testing out new iPhone specific APNs, a temporary inconvenience at most?

I'm hoping that's all it is.

Meteor is easily the best carrier I've been with to date on an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

i'm happy now that when i update to ios 5 in autumn i wont have to put in my meteor settings, and meteor is the best network for iphone bundles like €20 per month gets you free meteor to meteor texts and internet or free meteor to meteor texts and calls, for prepay easily the best for iphone i think

I'm hoping that's all it is.

Meteor is easily the best carrier I've been with to date on an iPhone.
    nowayout1 wrote: »
    i'm happy now that when i update to ios 5 in autumn i wont have to put in my meteor settings, and meteor is the best network for iphone bundles like €20 per month gets you free meteor to meteor texts and internet or free meteor to meteor texts and calls, for prepay easily the best for iphone i think

I agree. Meteor offer excellent prices for iPhone users on pay as you go. Also, I find the 3G data speed pretty damn good.

PDy03PPT_original.jpg

• Advertisement

yeah their 3g speeds previously have been astonishing.

around christmas there i was getting 6mbps down, fantastic! the last few days tho it's been around 4mbps...:o

I just tested there and I'm getting 5 mb/s down and 2mb/s up. It's not bad speeds at all. It's just sometimes my Internet slows and It usually kicks back in after I turn Aeroplane mode on and off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Its definitely happpening me a lot on Meteor the last few days, multiple times a day

I keep getting messages data settings lost, and no service ,
    and connection lost on facebook

its frustrating becuase the 200/200/1gb bundle for 25.00 euro is a good price

im getting the same, more noticeably while in Donedeal, Facebook and Adverts Apps.

just done one there using the Speedtest App, full 3G signal in Dublin City Centre : 1.9 down and 2.85 up.
    my highest being 6.08 down and 2.81 up from the same place in September 2010.

just done it again and got 4.41 down and 2.43 up.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I just accepted these settings and for some reason I now have no carrier name in the status bar on top on my phone, just get, signal bars, and 3G, anyone else getting this?

Edit: Sorry guys, figured it out, it was an issue with springtomize.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JustinCase1

I'm using meteor all the time and it's very fast sometimes it drop one bar but it's ok after switching airplane mode on/off. Anyway this carrier update is good for ppl using their 3G always cause you don't need to worry about settings ever., but those who use lots of data on wifi and sometimes in 3G.... Not good . for all jailbreakers I recommend to search for SBSettings on so you can quickly toggle data and wifi.

Advertisement