Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice about hill walking

Options
  • 06-06-2011 4:38pm

hi all, im looking for a bit of advice, hope thats ok!

im interested in doing a bit of hillwalking, i have never done it before and am definately not too fit!
    i want to do this for fitness and would love to get into hiking and camping etc.
    im not a gym type and i love fresh air, good views etc.i live in south dublin, very close to stepaside so there are lovely mountains not far from me!

my question is, how do i get started, is there any kind of guide book? also i realise i'll need some gear but until i get going properly i dont want to spend too much, what are the essentials? presumably shoes, but do i need to spend a fortune on them?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

All you really need is a pair of boots. You could use runners but they'd get ruined and wouldn't have as good a grip. About €100 - €120 should get you a decent pair of boots that will do the job fine. Leather waterproof ones are easier to keep clean. I don't know how anyone keeps those nubuck ones clean. :confused:

Then you need a map and a compass both relatively inexpensive. You'll find guides for walking routes in most of the bookshops.

As regards fitness - if you're a couch potato you'll probably find the first few trips tough. It gets easier though every time you do it so don't get discouraged and keep at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Hill walking's one of those sports that sounds much more idyllic than it really is, so you should try out a few of the marked walking trails before you go out and spend any money at all. All you need is a pair of trainers, a rain jacket and your phone, just in case.

Then you simply head up to Ticknock, Tibradden or Cruagh woods in the Dublin mountains, or Curtlestown or Crone woods near Enniskerry. If you're worried about navigation, then just do simple out and backs walks along one of the tracks. If you like, then you can worry about maps, boots and all the other fancy stuff.

Donny5 wrote: »
    Hill walking's one of those sports that sounds much more idyllic than it really is, so you should try out a few of the marked walking trails before you go out and spend any money at all. All you need is a pair of trainers, a rain jacket and your phone, just in case.

That's how I started. Just get up and get out there. Boots are critical if you think you like it, but maybe decide if its the sport for you first before spending a wad of money. Know a few people who bought really good boots, went on one walk (usually up Carrauntoohil as it happens) and then felt they had done everything that there was out there and the good boots now sit in the utility room gathering dust. If you do a few trails and notice you're getting further and further, then start pushing yourself by going off trails, for which you will need the boots, maps, compass etc. I found that I gradually acquired stuff as the need arose, cheap set of waterproofs bought at Heatons golf section or Lidl to tackle the light trails gets replaced by more expensive gear as you push yourself etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Like 'Donny5' says; trying out some of the waymarked trails, like the Wicklow Way, Kerry Way, and so on can be a great way to get into hill walking/hiking and with decent paths and OK signage you shouldn't get into too much difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

where are you based?

If near Glendalough has lots of marked trails, ideal for starting off. All colour coded and of varying difficulty.

All bar White and Red routes can be done in normal shoes, hiking runners or boots would be needed for those two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement