Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Domino Killer

Options
  • 06-06-2011 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi I started a topic in afterhour about being bored and some body said i should try to write some storys. does anybody have some advice about starting writing? i think i will try and put a story up here soon , should i put it up here or in afterhour? thanks :p

>>>I have the start of my story writen so look at it please and tell me what you think :P

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just make sure it's the best you can make it and post it up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Matthew23

He knew the killer was out there somewhere, but he didnt know where, and that was the problem. How can the head of the garda not even figure out a simple case like this , he thought to himself as he serveyed the city far below him. He was standing on the balcony of a tall building alone. The plum night sky was like a ceiling, low and opresive as it hung above him. He new that somewhere in the city the domino killer was getting ready for his next murder. The victim is probebly happily sitting with her family tonight , he tought to himself , but tomorrow it will be rubbish bins and rats that she lies with. The only clues so far are the dominos left at the scene of the crime. It is like he is mocking us he tought to himself. What kind of sick mind could do this , he said out loud but then he instantly scolded himself. No Harry , you cant think of him like that , you must empatise with him if you are ever going to know how his mind works. You have to think like a killer. The wind picked up a little bit as Harry looked out over the city the last time. I will find you Domino , I will bring you to justice

hope you like it and can tell me if it is good :p thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It has potential, and could be the start of an interesting story.

I would suggest that you cut out all the "he thought to himself". The reader knows she is in the mind of your characters (what is his name? why does he have to think like the killer?) so you don't have to keep saying it.

You might shorten your sentences a little, it gives a great sense of urgency.

EileenG wrote: »
    It has potential, and could be the start of an interesting story.

I would suggest that you cut out all the "he thought to himself". The reader knows she is in the mind of your characters (what is his name? why does he have to think like the killer?) so you don't have to keep saying it.

You might shorten your sentences a little, it gives a great sense of urgency.

hey thanks :p

i was saying he has to think like a killer because he is trying to catch one so he will work out what he thinks and then try to guess what the killer will do from knowing that. his name is Harry and he is the head of the garda

It wasn't clear that he was the head of the Garda. Would he not have a title like Senior Commissioner or something like that? "head of the Garda" sounds like something a layperson might say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Head of the Gardai is the Garda Commissioner. Also, I doubt that they ever investigate individual cases; I'm sure some sort of senior detective or something would be put in charge of a high profile case (I'd recommend researching that).

If your story is about the police trying to catch an elusive serial killer, why would he think of it as a "simple case"?

Lot of spelling errors too.

Head investigater Clint Cage walked down the allie way. The flashing blue lights of the squad car were behind him and he didnt want to look at them , because he knew they could only mean one thing....another murder. He looked around for the police.

"Detective Jenkins" Said Clint as he saw the young detective infront of him. Detective Zack Jenkins was new to the police department , but he was doing well so far. Clint asked him questions, many many questions. But then he asked the only one that really mattered to him.

"Is there a domino?" He asked Zack.

"No" He replied.

A strange sense of releif washed over Clint. It was strange because he was looking at a dead girl, only 20 years old, but he was still feeling happy that it wasnt another domino killing. He nealed down next to the dead body and looked at her. Now he felt sad for her. She had a pretty face , but there was a bit of blood on it. Hmmm she was strangled and shot...just liek all of the domino killers murders. He felt scared as he tought about this. Suddenly something caugt his eye. The girls mouth was full. He put on one of the plastic gloves and opened her mouth. Inside there was blood and it ran down her face. Then he took out the little bag that was in her mouth. He let the blood drip off. And then he saw what was in it....a domino!

I fixed some of the problems from the first one. I changed his name and I didnt put in the thinking to himself parts. And I tried to show how he feels emotonaly. Please tell me what you think is good and bad :p hope you like it! It is good fun writing!

Watch the spelling - allie, nealed, didnt, liek etc.

Head investigator Clint Cage sounds like a joke. If this is in Ireland, give him a proper title that a Garda would have, and a name that sounds like it could belong to an Irishman. If this is Ireland, it is Gardai, not Police.

How could a Detective be new to the police? You have to be in a while before you get promoted.

Describe the dead girl. Is she blonde or brunette, dressed for jogging or clubbing, clean cut or slutty? Is she lying face up or down? Are her clothes torn?

Once someone is dead, you generally don't get blood running, it starts to coagulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

This has a lot of potential, and there are a few good images that I will point out as I go along, the first thing I will say though, is spelling, a quick run through a spell check in Microsoft word will sort most of them out, but not them all (eg. It might say capitalise Allie because it is a name, rather than change it to alley, because word doesn’t recognise words that sound similar but are used wrongly)

Anyway, on with the critique!

anything i have changed in the text i have changed to blue, then explained the reasons for the change, mostly though i just put my comments after the paragraph. I have looked over everything you posted rather than taking one, or doing them both individually.

He knew the killer was out there somewhere, but he didnt know where, and that was the problem. How can the head of the garda not even figure out a simple case like this , he thought to himself as he serveyed the city far below him. He was standing on the balcony of a tall building alone.

Try to point out that it is a thought someway before you actually say it, you can use quotation marks and finish with he thought or italicise it and finish the same way, either way, it helps the reader determine that he is thinking rather than it being part of the narrative.
    Quotation marks are usually used for speaking and I have mostly seen thoughts in italics so maybe go with that.

The plum night sky was like a ceiling, low and opresive as it hung above him.

I quite like the connection between plum and hanging, even if it was unintentional it was good and shows you have some skill. Maybe add coloured after plum? I think it sounds slightly better, but then it is up to you, what sounds better to me might sound atrocious to someone else!

He new that somewhere in the city the domino killer was getting ready for his next murder. The victim is probebly happily sitting with her family tonight , he tought to himself , but tomorrow it will be rubbish bins and rats that she lies with.

Once again thought thing, it can be a bit jarring, as I read it it was part of the narritive then I’m told he is thinking it, it kinda shifts perspectives a bit

The only clues so far are the dominos left at the scene of the crime. It is like he is mocking us he tought to himself. "What kind of sick mind could do this" , he said out loud but then he instantly scolded himself. "No Harry , you cant think of him like that , you must empatise with him if you are ever going to know how his mind works. You have to think like a killer." The wind picked up a little bit as Harry looked out over the city the last time. I will find you Domino , I will bring you to justice

Who’s harry? Is that Clint? Or someone else who havn’t been introduced to yet? Also, as he is speaking you should use quotation marks, you can use “ or ‘ I have seen both be used for speaking. Add to the “last time” as it is it sounds like he is going to die or it is the last time he will ever look at the city. Maybe, for the last time before he turned and left?

Head investigater Clint Cage walked down the allie way. The flashing blue lights of the squad car were behind him and he didnt want to look at them , because he knew they could only mean one thing....another murder. He looked around for the police.

I’m confused? He is walking away from the lights, towards the body, but he dosnt want to look at the lights because he knows that means there is a body?
    Maybe have him walking towards the lights, hoping that there isn’t a body there, that it’s some other crime and I would have thought that police uniforms were fairly easy to spot, so maybe saying that he looked for someone he recognised from the police or someone who knew about the domino case. The ellipses here are not necessary, you could simply use a comma in its place.

"Detective Jenkins" Said Clint as he saw the young detective infront of him. Detective Zack Jenkins was new to the police department , but he was doing well so far. Clint asked him questions, many many questions. But then he asked the only one that really mattered to him.

"No" He replied.

A strange sense of releif washed over Clint. It was strange because he was looking at a dead girl, only 20 years old, but he was still feeling happy that it wasnt another domino killing. He nealed down next to the dead body and looked at her. Now he felt sad for her. She had a pretty face , but there was a bit of blood on it. Hmmm she was strangled and shot...just liek all of the domino killers murders. He felt scared as he tought about this. Suddenly something caugt his eye. The girls mouth was full. He put on one of the plastic gloves and opened her mouth. Inside there was blood and it ran down her face. Then he took out the little bag that was in her mouth. He let the blood drip off. And then he saw what was in it....a domino!

Where was the blood? Was it splattered on her? Streaked? Where did the blood ocme form? Domino Killer should be capitols because it’s a name, like Jack the Ripper.
    How did he know the girls mouth was full if it was closed? Maybe the cheeks bulged? But then, if it was full to capacity, the lips would be parted slightly as the muscles are relaxed after death. The blood running down her face is fine if there was blood pooled in the mouth that was pushed out as the plastic bag was pulled out.

You don’t need the ellipses there, maybe just a comma.
    oh and you don't need to put a space before a comma.

Over all, as i said before, it is good and has potential, you have the hard part done, a good storyline and the rest is just editing which can be learned.

Also a really good way to edit is to read it outloud (if you can) it allows you to read it how your reader will and allow you to catch things you may have skimmed over previously or hear jarring phrasers/help you find things that while they sound fine/make sense in your head may be confusing.

looking forward to seeing the rest and keep at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

You'll need to look at the spelling, but that's easily remedied with a spellcheck or getting someone to proofread.

One thing I would say is that you might want to rethink the names; they're almost parody at the moment, which is fine if that's what you're going for, but if you're trying to set a mood things like that can take you right out of it.

I'd also say try doing a little research into the Gardai, if it's going to be a procedural then accuracy about ranks, etc can only help!

Anyway, keep it comin'!:D

• Advertisement

CD. wrote: »
    This has a lot of potential, and there are a few good images that I will point out as I go along, the first thing I will say though, is spelling, a quick run through a spell check in Microsoft word will sort most of them out, but not them all (eg. It might say capitalise Allie because it is a name, rather than change it to alley, because word doesn’t recognise words that sound similar but are used wrongly)

Anyway, on with the critique!

anything i have changed in the text i have changed to blue, then explained the reasons for the change, mostly though i just put my comments after the paragraph. I have looked over everything you posted rather than taking one, or doing them both individually.

He knew the killer was out there somewhere, but he didnt know where, and that was the problem. How can the head of the garda not even figure out a simple case like this , he thought to himself as he serveyed the city far below him. He was standing on the balcony of a tall building alone.

Try to point out that it is a thought someway before you actually say it, you can use quotation marks and finish with he thought or italicise it and finish the same way, either way, it helps the reader determine that he is thinking rather than it being part of the narrative.
    Quotation marks are usually used for speaking and I have mostly seen thoughts in italics so maybe go with that.

The plum night sky was like a ceiling, low and opresive as it hung above him.

I quite like the connection between plum and hanging, even if it was unintentional it was good and shows you have some skill. Maybe add coloured after plum? I think it sounds slightly better, but then it is up to you, what sounds better to me might sound atrocious to someone else!

He new that somewhere in the city the domino killer was getting ready for his next murder. The victim is probebly happily sitting with her family tonight , he tought to himself , but tomorrow it will be rubbish bins and rats that she lies with.

Once again thought thing, it can be a bit jarring, as I read it it was part of the narritive then I’m told he is thinking it, it kinda shifts perspectives a bit

The only clues so far are the dominos left at the scene of the crime. It is like he is mocking us he tought to himself. "What kind of sick mind could do this" , he said out loud but then he instantly scolded himself. "No Harry , you cant think of him like that , you must empatise with him if you are ever going to know how his mind works. You have to think like a killer." The wind picked up a little bit as Harry looked out over the city the last time. I will find you Domino , I will bring you to justice

Who’s harry? Is that Clint? Or someone else who havn’t been introduced to yet? Also, as he is speaking you should use quotation marks, you can use “ or ‘ I have seen both be used for speaking. Add to the “last time” as it is it sounds like he is going to die or it is the last time he will ever look at the city. Maybe, for the last time before he turned and left?

I’m confused? He is walking away from the lights, towards the body, but he dosnt want to look at the lights because he knows that means there is a body?
    Maybe have him walking towards the lights, hoping that there isn’t a body there, that it’s some other crime and I would have thought that police uniforms were fairly easy to spot, so maybe saying that he looked for someone he recognised from the police or someone who knew about the domino case. The ellipses here are not necessary, you could simply use a comma in its place.

"No" He replied.

Where was the blood? Was it splattered on her? Streaked? Where did the blood ocme form? Domino Killer should be capitols because it’s a name, like Jack the Ripper.
    How did he know the girls mouth was full if it was closed? Maybe the cheeks bulged? But then, if it was full to capacity, the lips would be parted slightly as the muscles are relaxed after death. The blood running down her face is fine if there was blood pooled in the mouth that was pushed out as the plastic bag was pulled out.

You don’t need the ellipses there, maybe just a comma.
    oh and you don't need to put a space before a comma.

Over all, as i said before, it is good and has potential, you have the hard part done, a good storyline and the rest is just editing which can be learned.

Also a really good way to edit is to read it outloud (if you can) it allows you to read it how your reader will and allow you to catch things you may have skimmed over previously or hear jarring phrasers/help you find things that while they sound fine/make sense in your head may be confusing.

looking forward to seeing the rest and keep at it!

Hey thanks that is alot of help it is a really good reply thanks so much! :D

It was already nearly 3 in the morning , and almost everybody had gone home. From the outside the garda head offices looked empty. Just one like twinkled in the darkness , the light in head detective Paul O'Brien's office (changed his name from Clint Cage to Paul O'Brien to sound more irish because Clint Cage sounds too american:p) He was going over the case files. The lives of six young women reduced to sterile crime scene photos, ziplock bags of blood stained evidence lay before him on pale white desks. Sometimes he spoke to them , sometimes they spoke back. Secret conversations with murder victims. They never judged , they only spoke, of there lives and there loss. The light rain tapping on the window was like a metronome for the rhythm of his thoughts. The serching light of the torches which hang over the tables of evidence is incessant , and so are his questions. There relentless examination is matched by his endless pursuit of something , anything that can connect the six black dominos at the top of the room with a living breading man who somewhere sits under the same white light , and who is conducting a search of his own , but with a light of pure darkness.

I tried to fix some of the mistakes from the other ones. please tell me if it is better or worse this way and any thing else you think might help me get bette.r thanks!!! :p

Definitely better with Paul O'Brien.

You still need to watch the spelling. Don't confuse there and their. And most men don't bread unless they are bakers.

This scene needs some work. What is the point of this scene? It should illuminate character or advance the plot in some way, and I don't get the feeling that this does.

What is actually happening? Is O'Brien at his desk in his office, or in a laboratory? If he's in an office, he is not going to have blood samples out on his desk, he could contaminate the evidence. He might have reports on the blood, though, as well as photos.

Why would he have have torches hanging over the table rather than electric lights?

As a detective, his job is to not to examine blood samples or compare fingerprints or DNA or anything technical like that. He should be reading the reports from the technical people, and then directing his staff to question all the possible witnesses of the murders, and the family and friends and workmates of the murdered women. He'd probably want to see all CCTV footage for the city that night, and talk to all the security people in bars and clubs around, as well as taxi drivers and people like that.

Try to put in a bit of Garda speak into his internal monologue. Gardai tend to think in terms of "Young female" rather than girl, and they often refer to other Gardai as "Members" (which leads to statements like "A Member was injured")

Put in some details about what he is doing.

Give some details about O'Brien, so that we can get to know him as a character. For instance, when he's staying late at work, what program is he taping at home? What someone watches says a lot about him. Is he married, single, separated, single with children, serial dater? When he's working late, does he go hungry, order in Chinese, send someone to the chipper, or eat a tin of tuna at his desk?

:( i thought i was gettin better. looks like it is worse. it felt like i was writing a real story in this bit.

i give up :(

Don't give up, just remember that what you see in your head has to go on paper for your reader to see it too. You probably have a very clear idea of your detective character, and you know what he looks like, and how he acts and what his favourite drink is. But unless you tell us, we don't know.

When you are writing a detective story, you need to give some technical details. Not too many, because they get boring, but most of your readers will have seen enough CSI and Law & Order to have a basic idea of procedure, so you need to know at least that much.

EileenG wrote: »
    Don't give up, just remember that what you see in your head has to go on paper for your reader to see it too. You probably have a very clear idea of your detective character, and you know what he looks like, and how he acts and what his favourite drink is. But unless you tell us, we don't know.

When you are writing a detective story, you need to give some technical details. Not too many, because they get boring, but most of your readers will have seen enough CSI and Law & Order to have a basic idea of procedure, so you need to know at least that much.

when i read what u say it makes me want to give up :( u are like my teacher , always makes me feel worse

Oh dear, I don't mean to make you feel bad. But if you put stuff up for critique or feedback, that's what you are going to get.

Take what people have told you and use it. You have a story in your mind, let people help you to flesh it out so it becomes a story that people really want to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭cobsie

hey M23, don't give up! Sometimes criticism is a killer and it's easy to feel defeated by it at first. But you've done really well to take on board what people suggested and it has made your story better. Don't worry about the negative stuff - take what is useful advice and move on. There is no way to write that makes everyone everywhere happy for ever :) Relax about it and keep going! I am a BIG reader and I'm pretty entertained by this, and really - isn't that what it's all about, in the end?

O'Brien had a strained relationship with the forensic technicians, or labs rats, as he called them. Sure they had helped solve cases over the years, but he couldn't help but feel that they ran in opposition to everything he believed about police work. For O'Brien, the ability to read the expression on the face of a witness would always be more important than all the microscopes, slides and test tubes stacked up in the forensics lab.

"What have you got for me, O'Donnell?" Asked O'Brien with as much civility as he could muster while checking his watch. Christopher O'Donnell, head of forensics, smiled with condescension so subtle that only O'Brien himself could recognise it.

"You might want to check that watch again, O'Brien. I've got a good one for you today...a real juicy one, could be worth even your precious time." Replied O'Donnell as he turned and walked towards the back of the lad, inviting O'Brien to follow with a swish of his claw like hand.

"And what would that be, my dear?" Sighed O'Brien, looking at the gaunt, diminutive man before him. A part of him acknowledged that the his dislike of the lab rats was based on insecurity. He knew that someday their microscopes and scalpels would render men like him obsolete. But he also knew that he could do things, see things, that could evade even the most powerful tools of science. He could see the conflicts in the human heart, because he had lived them himself. He knew the dark regions of the soul, pregnant with murderous thoughts. He knew the moments when the only light that can be found is darkness. He had seen these things first hand, and there was nothing Christopher O'Donnell, or any other spotty college graduate peering into a microscope, could tell him about it.

"What we have, honey, is a partial print on the Domino case" Beamed O'Donnell. "They all make mistakes, O'Brien, just like you" He added. O'Brien didn't acknowledge the smug expression on the head lab rat's face. Instead he looked for a moment at the small piece of plastic which had just given up its secret. Could this be the elusive break this case had been waiting for?

"That's right, O'Donnell. Everyone does. If they didn't there would be no crimes to solve in the first place."

>>>>ok I got alot of help with this bit from one of my freinds from school but i think it is better. please tell me what you think

• Advertisement

also i have started poetry now too :) will put some up later

Can somebody tell me what i should do from here with my story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

If you're stuck, then maybe you should take some time to write an outline of the whole story. You basically sit down and try to figure out where you want the story to go in a general sort of way. If you know the ending, then it's easier to make it there. It's hard to do the first time, but it gets easier.

I like to outline as little as possible, but lots of people are into detailed plotting like the "blueprint" on this page: http://susan-bischoff.com/downloads. There is also the snowflake method which might work out great for you. Constructing an entire story that works is a huge step forward. http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php

I would also recommend reading some books in the same genre and then reading your own stuff again. It's kind of hard to get opinions on a paragraph or two, so maybe you could write a couple of chapters without caring if it sounds good or is technically correct, and then go back over it and see if you can make it better. The more you write (and read) the better your writing will become. Most writers spend longer editing than actually writing the story for the first time.

I wouldn't give up. Everyone has to start somewhere, and everyone has a lot to learn. You've only started writing stories, so don't be so hard on yourself. Maybe some of the advice you've gotten feels overwhelming, that's perfectly normal, so try to take one point at a time and see if it makes sense to you. But as I said before, I'd worry more about figuring out the story, rather than trying to make each individual sentence perfect right now.

The most important thing is to enjoy it, so best of luck with your fiction and poetry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

You've probably seen that there's a thread with courses and classes. There's loads in Dublin, so you're lucky to live there. They can be a good kick start if you think you'd like to take up story writing. Plenty of courses for beginners.

Advertisement