Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what yis think

• 05-06-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Still an ongoing work in progress but love to hear opinions

www.dutchbikeshop.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shanno06

Hi!

Here's my opinion:

Although the site seems to be custom designed it all has a very "templatey" feel. I could imagine that colour scheme on a site related to anything.

It all seems a bit unorganized. Fair enough, you have three columns. But each item in each column is all pushed together. No separation at all.

Also, why you are using WordPress which is a blogging platform for E-Commerce is beyond me. There are one or two OK plugins for e-commerce with WordPress but in my experience these are normally just used for web masters that sell a few products to compliment their business, not webmasters that primarily sell products online.
    It's probably too late in the design process to change this. Shame.

Create a hover effect over each horizontal menu item so they feel like links to the visitor.

If you need me to expand more on any of my points drop me a pm or whatever.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I wouldn't quite agree with shanno06 on WordPress. It's OK for your purpose, not great, but not bad.

I would make better use of the centre of the homepage. The image is OK but I would have one and stick it in the header. Then rewreite the text so it is snappier and in list form. Currently you have 77 words in a block of text. When people first come to your site they like to scan bits of text not read paragraphs.

Eg. Dutch City Bikes and Accessories are:
    • practical and low maintenance
    • reliable and sturdy
    • safe and last the distance
    Take a test drive from our Lucan office and find out for yourself. Book Now! Call 085 165 7181

By moving the image up and having snappy text like this enables the products to start being visible without having to scroll sxo users know there's more down below the fold. The homepage product selection could be better with best sellers, special offers and promotions being given prominence (the twitter feed doesn't do this well enough). You also need to deal with 'price objection' as your prices are a bit on the high side (sell the benefits). Things like Free 3 month health check don't appear prominently.

Use css :hover and :visisted effects for links

Add to Basket buttons have no treatment, they would better as orange buttons.

Try to use logos more for brands.

Not all users want to register. Zip and State/Province has issues for the likes of Ireland. What are Shipping Looky Gloves and Babboe Cargo Bike Shipping?

There's no delivery and returns information.

The main body text on some pages is too small.

A landline number would be better. Contact page could have a form and a Google Map.

Display customer feedback/reviews and testimonials. Reviews are currently closed.

hth and gl

Advertisement