Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper problem

Options
  • 05-06-2011 4:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone that might be able to give advice would be very much appreciated.
    Leitrim area camper westfalia. Weve had a few probs with it, leak which was fixed at garage appeared to be power steering. Key wont work in the outside gas fixture (ie cover )and sometimes main doors sticks. Is this just a tick of the age of the model, 1990?
    However, the main prob was heating was blowing cool air but since back from its last repair (was there a while) the whole inner system not working, ie no fridge, no heating at all and no warning lights re fridge and water. Do you reckon its the actual leisure battery itself? We ve ran it a bit out on the road, no change.... ill it need replacing or should we bring it in to get looked at and any ideas of places in the North west for this kinda of (I presume) electrical thing.
    Btw only had a year so we're still finding our feet! Love it though and of course theres Temple House festival we are supposed to be going to this weekend :eek::)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

So have you any 12V power in the van at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Thanks Fingers for getting back to me....But Oh Oh 12v this is where we arent technical :o
    The van itself is running, ( we got a new battery for the engine last year)the internal heating in the front is running. The gas is working fine. And the lights of the van itself as well as the lights itside the cab are working. Gas coming through for the cooker okay.
    But when we are parked up the heat in the back cab that you switch on wont go on at all, the guage that tells ya how much water and leisure battery left is not lighting and the fridge appears to be off too. :confused: Do you reckon it culd be a fuse or leisure battery....or one of sat on a switch that we never knew was there! :rolleyes::D

tuppence wrote: »
    Thanks Fingers for getting back to me....But Oh Oh 12v this is where we arent technical :o
    The van itself is running, ( we got a new battery for the engine last year)the internal heating in the front is running. The gas is working fine. And the lights of the van itself as well as the lights itside the cab are working. Gas coming through for the cooker okay.
    But when we are parked up the heat in the back cab that you switch on wont go on at all, the guage that tells ya how much water and leisure battery left is not lighting and the fridge appears to be off too. :confused: Do you reckon it culd be a fuse or leisure battery....or one of sat on a switch that we never knew was there! :rolleyes::D

Its likely you sat on a switch somewhere or there's a fuse blown, theres a lot gone off in that van very quickly.

Where you based in Leitrim? I'm in Sligo and I may be able to have a look for you. PM me if you prefer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

God fair play to you. Thats really kind of you. Will pm you in two shakes of a lambs tail. :) Seriously thanks again. : )

All Fixed :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

All Fixed :D
    Tell more.

One of the main fuses was the old 'bullet' type fuse. As what tends to happen with the bullet fuses, the holders spread slightly and the connection gets loose.

As you all know with loose connections heat is never far behind. The plastic bullet had heated up over time and had crumbled breaking the connection. New fuse and bend in the lugs a little, problem sorted.

Volvo-Bullet-Fuse-Kit-003481803.jpg

Also noticed that the tap for the sink wasn't working. Had a dig and a nose about and it turned out that the submersible pump in the water tank had seized up. Wiggled the impellor round a few times and it sprang back into life.... so all is well in the garden.

How do you like those apples?;)

P.S. As for the gas cover, the lock has corroded and siezed. It'll need to be replaced, but shouldn't be too expensive to get one. I think a barrell for a locker or post box may even do the trick. You'll find that you're current method will eventually lead to the lock getting loose and the cover falling down when you're on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

fingers
    your a legend

boards community at its best

maith an fear;)

Glad to help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Well done Bri , get stuck in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Note to self: When problems arise be sure to invite Fingers round for a cuppa :D

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Well done Bri , get stuck in there!

Cheers. Nice to be able to actually help someone. Also got to have a look at someone else's van too....... bonus..

WildWater wrote: »
    Note to self: When problems arise be sure to invite Fingers round for a cuppa :D

Indeed. Milk no sugar thanks...... Don't forget the custard creams.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Indeed. Milk no sugar thanks...... Don't forget the custard creams.....:D

And I don't even have to buy chocolate biscuits :)

WildWater wrote: »
    And I don't even have to buy chocolate biscuits :)

Well, now that you mention it.............

Advertisement