Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tangerine Dream

Options
  • 05-06-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

Anyone into this great electronic band, the granddadey's of electronic music.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I haven't heared them for years, used to have their album Phadra ( not sure how it was spelt) in the 70's. Used to be known as a Pink floyd rip. I enjoyed them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I'm into them big time, been buying their albums since the late 70's, they are still going but doing soundtracks and TBH and not great. My favourite album is Tangram from 1979 you should check it out, they were way ahead of their time. Another few to check out are White Eagle, Hyperborea, Force Majure,Rubycon, and Stratosfear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Tangerine Dream were my route into electronic music in the 70s. I loved pretty much everything up till Cyclone. Zeit, Rubycon, Phaedra, Ricochet and Encore would still get a regular late night listen.

Yeah Cyclone was rather disappointing but they picked up again after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

With a username of 200motels thought you'd prefer Zappa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭francois

I was lucky enough to see them play the Tangram tour, october 30 1980 in the national stadium, at 14-I still have the ticket! I have loads of their stuff, though I don't think they made the crossover to digital that well-Best stuff is from the early to mid 70's

Nolanger wrote: »
    With a username of 200motels thought you'd prefer Zappa?
    Yes I'm a huge fan of Zappa, and heavy rock, prog rock, I like lots of different types of music for different reasons.

francois wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to see them play the Tangram tour, october 30 1980 in the national stadium, at 14-I still have the ticket! I have loads of their stuff, though I don't think they made the crossover to digital that well-Best stuff is from the early to mid 70's
    I've always regretted missing that gig. A bunch of mates went but I couldn't travel at the time. I'd agree with you there with the digital crossover.

I've often felt that from around Cyclone onwards Froese started to see TD as his backing group. After the departure of Baumann and later Franke it just started to sound too much like Froese.

That whole 60s-70s era in German electronic music was fascinating. How the different schools developed regionally resulting in the Berlin school sounding very different from the Düsseldorf school and likewise elsewhere in Germany is quite interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only know them from the Thief and Sorcerer soundtracks. Love Diamond Diary track.

mike65 wrote: »
    Only know them from the Thief and Sorcerer soundtracks. Love Diamond Diary track.
    Go and explore them your in for a treat, stay away from anything they did from about 1998, their best years are from 1974 to 1983 and they are known as the Virgin years as they were on that label during that period. Enjoy exploring them as I'd love to be doing that all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Yeeears ago!
    I was only thinking lately, while trying to pick some tunes for the "how you got into" thread, that there's no dance track that triggered anything. I think as long as I've been listening to music I've had an interest in electronic music. Maybe Fanfare for the common man, or some ELO from the jukebox in my granny's pub as a nipper, but when I started buying albums, there was a lot of Jarre, Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream bought. I can't for the life of me think where they might have gone, so I've to resign myself to the likelihood that I sold them in Freebird or Comet to fund my Joy Division and Sisters of Mercy collection :(

milltown wrote: »
    Yeeears ago!
    I sold them in Freebird or Comet to fund my Joy Division and Sisters of Mercy collection :(

Nowt wrong with Joy Division, excellent band

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Was only listening to them yesterday,

I was very fortunate to have grown up surrounded by good music from my older brother when i was to young to be going ouy buying music, this one i always loved when i was younger he played a lot,

Love this also,

This aswell,

And cant ever forget,

Sorry for straying off topic.

Heres one for you old gregg, went to google maps after posting this above & the text i used to serch for the vids copied in somehow & pulls up OZ:D

Love will tear us apart - OZ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

To clarify, the frowny face was for the fact that I sold the records. No apologies for what I bought with the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

milltown wrote: »
    To clarify, the frowny face was for the fact that I sold the records. No apologies for what I bought with the money.

You're not going to apologize for Sisters of Mercy?

You're not going to apologize for Sisters of Mercy?

I wouldnt.

I wouldnt.

Ah, but you're a bit odd is mise…

Heres one for you old gregg, went to google maps after posting this above & the text i used to serch for the vids copied in somehow & pulls up OZ:D

Love will tear us apart - OZ

ah now I'm homesick again :(:p

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

and trent reznor under a different moniker

That version of Supernaut is amazing. There was some brilliant stuff coming out of industrial music in America in the late 80s and 90s.

Ahem, anyway, eh, back on topic…

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah love Tangerine Dream but probably prefer some of Klaus Schulze stuff on his own, especially the likes of 'Timewind' & 'Moondawn' - big long epic synth pieces.

Heard a great album today in Tower by yet another German electronic krautrock type band from the 80s called 'You', never heard of the album before but added to my want list...

You - Live Line [presumably this is where Joe got inspiration for the name of his show]

http://www.discogs.com/You-Time-Code/master/106620

I really need to spend more time hunting down weird German electronic music from the 70s and 80s.

Advertisement