Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disk Encrypttion

Options
  • 05-06-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im wondering if its possible to encrypt a usb key or external hard drive without having to mount it using the encryption software (i.e. TrueCrypt)

Im new to this and thought id ask her first!!

Thanks!!

Comments

I think the best solution is to use a Truecrypt file container. Say that your USB key is 8GB: create an encrypted file container such that you're left with about 50MB of free space; your file container would be a 50MB less than 8GB in size. Then, on this free space, extract the Truecrypt .exe so that it runs in portable mode. You can then use your USB key (or drive) on any computer without the need to install Truecrypt each time, as you can mount the volume from the portable install of Truecrypt that resides on your device.

There are other solutions and programs for encryption, but none are as rigid and secure as Truecrypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭masterjk

But some operating systems require admin permission to run the portable .exe version or TrueCrypt... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

gvn wrote: »
    I think the best solution is to use a Truecrypt file container. Say that your USB key is 8GB: create an encrypted file container such that you're left with about 50MB of free space; your file container would be a 50MB less than 8GB in size. Then, on this free space, extract the Truecrypt .exe so that it runs in portable mode. You can then use your USB key (or drive) on any computer without the need to install Truecrypt each time, as you can mount the volume from the portable install of Truecrypt that resides on your device.

There are other solutions and programs for encryption, but none are as rigid and secure as Truecrypt.

I have used this approach and works well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget you may have to consider the tmp folders and pagefile on the computer you use

Advertisement