Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 13 Finale **Possible Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Might try and catch the Scott Jorgensen and Josh Grispi fights from the prelims. Are they on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Len Bentley shot himself in the foot asking for a fight on the finale. I'd have done the same in Dana White's shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

seadnamac wrote: »
    Might try and catch the Scott Jorgensen and Josh Grispi fights from the prelims. Are they on Facebook?

Yep, all 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Not a hope of petis submitting guida imo, we will see ;) Kingsbu is gonna run through maldonado, he was lucky that mcsweeney gassed to **** in their fight and then took him apart, hope nijem takes the winners spot home too

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

It isn't often you see somebody sparked from inside guard, that was epic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭alcomoholic

any idea what time pettis and guida will start?
    in work so cant doss off for too long so just gonna watch the co and the main

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

any idea what time pettis and guida will start?
    in work so cant doss off for too long so just gonna watch the co and the main

card starts at two, expect the usual ad breaks so best case scenario i think 4 ? maybe sky has it different it's on the grispi fight at the moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

linkie anyone?

jayteecork wrote: »
    linkie anyone?

Got one.
    http://www.stopstream.tv/ch2.html

Really looking forward to seeing Pettis again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Pettis has been pathetic. . . .

• Advertisement

Joe Rogan "Spectacular performance by Clay Guida"

Awful by both of them tbh.
    Clay Guida must have done the least damage in a MMA fight in as a winner in recent history.
    That fight showed all that's bad about MMA tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Joe Rogan "Spectacular performance by Clay Guida"

Awful by both of them tbh.
    That fight showed all that's bad about MMA tbh.

Guida saying put the best Lightweight in the world in the octagon to fight for the title was just laughable.Thats the 1st time I seen Pettis fight and he was unimpressive.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Guida saying put the best Lightweight in the world in the octagon to fight for the title was just laughable.Thats the 1st time I seen Pettis fight and he was unimpressive.

At least Pettis tried a couple of kicks and a couple of submissions.

Guida had no other intention but to impress the judges by takedowns.
    He did absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

At least Pettis tried a couple of kicks and a couple of submissions.

Guida had no other intention but to impress the judges by takedowns.
    He did absolutely nothing.

He always does that gets on top of a guy & hits him more with his hair than anything else.Pettis had constant wrist control & I was praying for Pettis to catch him but he didn't.TUF Final was forgetable,can't say i'm looking forward to next weekends card too much like last weeks & tonites card it's not looking good on paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Finales was decent - theres a video of the Ferguson vs Nijem here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6etszjs

Better fight than I expected! :):):)

Apparently Nijem lost control of his bowels.....:o How embarrassing. Good fight overall. Hated the Guida fight. He's turning into a Fitch with Epilepsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

2 fights shown after the main event were very good

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Was so disappointed in Pettis, huge fan of him and really thought he choked last night. IMO Roller and possibly Henderson are better wrestlers than Guida. He's also been training with Ben Askren for the last 6 weeks. I know Guida uses some good footwork to set up the takedowns but I was very disappointed with his wrestling defence. He's still young and his last loss was a close decision and his fight after that he was so fired up and got an excellent finish. So I'm looking forward to seeing him again. Would love to see him against someone like Sam Stout or Melv Guilard.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

He's turning into a Fitch with Epilepsy.

Best comparison I've heard so far :p

All I can say is at least Fitch works when he gets people to the ground... Wish there was yellow/red cards a la Pride at times like this...

ScareGilly wrote: »
    All I can say is at least Fitch works when he gets people to the ground... Wish there was yellow/red cards a la Pride

Exactly. There are times that I hate MMA just because of the scoring system. Working subs off your back should score more than being caught in someone's guard in "control".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Guida can't win, he had to nullify Pettis' standup, and a good wrestling base was what would do it, he does not posses the hands to KO, or even stand and bang 3 rounds with Pettis. He executed his gameplan perfectly, he picks up sub of night and FOTN honnours quite regularily. If he picks up another good win and I'd see him as definate #1 contender spot.

Pettis was built up the "SHOWTIME" character and he was made look absolutly one dimensional, no wrestling defence & even the spin kick he attempted looked pathetic.

I dont think Guida is getting enough credit for this one. Taking compustrike (yes i know the arguments) into account, they were essentially the same in landing standup, the firgure quoted is Guida 46 landed, Pettis 48 landed. Aside from that Guida controlled the octagon and takedowns absolute. Good win in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

weemcd wrote: »
    Pettis was built up the "SHOWTIME" character and he was made look absolutly one dimensional, no wrestling defence & even the spin kick he attempted looked pathetic.

He lacked a good TD defence but he isn't one dimensional. He has got good striking and looked very dangerous off his back, constantly controlling the wrist off his back trying to throw up an armbar or triangle. He nearly got Clay a few times tbf.

Good fight and I don't think Guida was as bad as suggested, he did more work on the ground then I have seen from a lot of wrestlers and did well to nulify Pettis' striking.

Have you see Anthony fight before or have you just seen highlight videos of him? Disregarding the superkick against Henderson he showed unbelievable and unique striking in all his fights in the WEC. Also to say he is one dimensional is absolutely laughable. I'm sorry but of his 13 victories he has 6 submissions and 5 ko's. I fail to understand how someone with more submission victories than kos can be branded a one dimensional striker. I'm aware not all of the submissions were clear subs and I know at least one was tap out due to strikes but I stand by my comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭threeball

Thought Maldonado was robbed in his match v Kingsbury. He nullified the knees of Kingsbury, controlled the ring, landed the best head and body shots and did the most damage. Was very impressed by him, moves like Cro Cop in his prime too, with vicious body shots instead of kicks

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Better than was I was expecting from the reports.

I think Guida thourougly deserved the win. Aside from controlling on the ground he was trying to advance his position on the ground but Pettis has such good hips that he was regaining his guard any time Guida gave him the slighest bit of space.

Guida knew he couldn't outstrike him and stuck to his strength and very nearly subbed Pettis in the dying seconds of the 3rd round. He had both hooks in and looked more likely to finish the choke than Pettis did when he had Guida's back. Escaping out the back door like he did and his scrambling to eventually take the back was fantastic as well. I really liked Guida's footwork in the short time the fight was standing also. He doesn't just bob aimlessly around anymore. He's always looking for angles and changing levels and kept Pettis from settling into a rhythm. It set up his shots very nicely.

Having said that, Pettis will be back stronger. He's an amazingly talented kid from a very good camp. His guard is phenomenal, so active. I think he's a little too comfortable off of his back though, which isn't going to help if it goes to the judges. The addition of Askren to that camp and maybe more time working with him could pay huge dividends in the future. For Askren also, as his striking game is where he lets himself down.

Otherwise, a decent night of fights. Some decent action but nothing that got me going too much. I agree that Maldonado should have taken the decision. He probably could have pushed on and tried to KO Kingbury in the last round when Kingsbury was visibly gassed and couldn't see out of his left eye.

he had to nullify Pettis' standup
    he does not posses the hands to KO, or even stand and bang 3 rounds with Pettis..

^ I am quite aware of Pettis' traits and WEC achievments, don't patronise me with nonsense like:
    Have you see Anthony fight before or have you just seen highlight videos of him?
    Next time read the post.

Secondly I did not say he was one dimensional either, on the night Guida took all his dynamic striking and put him on his back, on different occasions throughout the fight. On the one occasion Pettis had top position in the fight he lost it. I am not an avid Guida fan, I am calling it the way I saw it. On the night, he was made look one dimensional.

Secondly I did not say he was one dimensional either, on the night Guida took all his dynamic striking and put him on his back, on different occasions throughout the fight. On the one occasion Pettis had top position in the fight he lost it. I am not an avid Guida fan, I am calling it the way I saw it. On the night, he was made look one dimensional.

I agree Guida had an excellent game and credit Greg Jackson on that. I also feel Pettis had a poor performance and it will be a fight he looks back on and think he could have done much better. However I still refuse to believe that Pettis was made look one dimensional. He threatened off of his back and in the brief stand up exchanges looked by far the better striker. If anything the argument could be made that Guida was made look like a one dimensional wrestler. However, obviously wrestling wins fights and he'll avoid any heavy criticisim because of the victory.

Xlami wrote: »
    I agree Guida had an excellent game and credit Greg Jackson on that. I also feel Pettis had a poor performance and it will be a fight he looks back on and think he could have done much better. However I still refuse to believe that Pettis was made look one dimensional. He threatened off of his back and in the brief stand up exchanges looked by far the better striker. If anything the argument could be made that Guida was made look like a one dimensional wrestler. However, obviously wrestling wins fights and he'll avoid any heavy criticisim because of the victory.

Agree to disagree? I see your points. I was expecting more from Pettis, Guda is getting his fair share of boo's for the method of victory too:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

calex71 wrote: »
    2 fights shown after the main event were very good
    seadnamac wrote: »

They knew what I wanted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement