Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying online buisness

Options
  • 03-06-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi
    I know of a company who recently went in liquidation, part of there buisness was an online ecommerce store for there products.
    The store was developed by another company, what i would like to know is would it be possible to purchase this store or would it be licensed to the company, i dont want the domain, just the platform that allowed them to add products etc. Would it be likely just to exist as a software package or would it be possible to buy the licence from the company.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Have you asked the company that developed it if you could buy it from them?
    (I wouldn't think that they'd be willing to sell it as it's a custom solution they've designed and developed for the company in liquidation and likely to be covered in the terms and conditions or some such on what can happen with it)

There are many open source and freely available solutions for this. What you don't get it is setup / configured and templated the way you want it.

At the end of the day you'll still require a Merchant Bank Account no doubt (which if you've not got you should get the process going for immediately)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 noel69

I did ask the company who developed it and they wanted euro9000.00 for a basic platform.
    The website in question is perfectly set up for my business. I wouldnt make any changes except add my own products.
    I know the developers would have custom made this, the company in liquidation would have paid for it at the time.
    So would it be possible to buy the shop/software from the company or liquidater or is there a license likely to be in place between the developer and the liquidated company that would stop me from being able to do this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

noel69 wrote: »
    I did ask the company who developed it and they wanted euro9000.00 for a basic platform.
    The website in question is perfectly set up for my business. I wouldnt make any changes except add my own products.
    I know the developers would have custom made this, the company in liquidation would have paid for it at the time.
    So would it be possible to buy the shop/software from the company or liquidater or is there a license likely to be in place between the developer and the liquidated company that would stop me from being able to do this.

Thanks

Honestly that's a question for the two companies in question and one that I don't think anyone here will be able to answer. They'll have a legally binding contract which states who owns what that you'd have to abide by I would guess. If I designed a site for one company and it was bought by another company and changed they'd be in violation of my copyright on the original design I would guess and as such not up resale which as liquidation is selling off things .. it would be ? (it's late I've had a few beers and I'm not aware of the legalities hence I said you'd want to talk to both parties)

James

Advertisement