Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Cert R101 Change from Category N1 to M

Options
  • 03-06-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Well it looks like That the powers to be in the transport Section in Shannon Co Clare, don't want to change the cert RF101 from N1 to M.

I rang Shannon the other day to inquire about the Change and the lady I spoke to said she did not know any thing about this. I explained what I meant and She said that she had heard of that and suggested that I send the Cert in to Mr B xx C xxxx As he is the man that makes all the Changes.

So I sent the cert in with a cover letter and my phone number.

Dear, Mr Cxxxx.
    I Have just Received my Registration Certificate for my Mororcaravan, I have noticed that under. ( J ) The EU Vehicle Category is N1.
    I Beleive that this is the incorect Category. The correct Category should be ( M ) As stated under Commission Directive 2001/116/EC.
    I would be grateful if this change could be made.

Kind Regards,
    xxxxxxxx.

Only to Receive a reply Dear Mr xxxxx can you Please Clarify why you have returned your certificate to this Office. So it seems that the man in charge Mr xxxx. Claims to not know this.:confused::confused:

Since they have all ready have changed certs for other people.!!!

From my cover letter I would have thought that was obvious. :(

P.S. And to make matters worse my cert came back torn on two sides.:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You just gotta love the way we do things in this country. Nothing can ever, nor will it be simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mrgriswold

Its funny how they make no mistakes when they are sending out the tax renewal notices... they are very efficient when it come to taking money :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Your reply couldn't be simpler,
    Dear Mr Cxxx, please refer to Commission Directive 2001/116/EC, it will provide the clarification you require.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tom22413

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Your reply couldn't be simpler,
    Dear Mr Cxxx, please refer to Commission Directive 2001/116/EC, it will provide the clarification you require.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

lol, Ha, Ha. Mr Cxxx seems to have a very bad memory, I think I'll wait for a bit longer before I reply. :rolleyes:
    You just gotta love the way we do things in this country. Nothing can ever, nor will it be simple!

lol. Having Re-Examined the cert the tear to the front and back measured about 3 x 2 inches, and a semi-circle shape when I put it up to my mouth Guess what It fit's perfect. Looks like they didn't let Mr Cxxx out for lunch, so he took it out on my Cert. :D:D. Hope this is not the new way of doing things. Ha, Ha.
    mrgriswold wrote: »
    Its funny how they make no mistakes when they are sending out the tax renewal notices... they are very efficient when it come to taking money :mad:

In Fairness this issue has being going on for quite a while.

Remember, if your 'van is down as N1 and its GVW or (Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass -same thing) is over 3,500kg, which in itself is an error, 'cause if it's over 3,500 it would be N2, which it shouldn't be anyway 'cause it's a motor caravan and that's a category M vehicle :rolleyes::rolleyes:, 'they' could try to get you for speeding if you are over 80 KPH where 100KPH or 120KPH applies to 'cars', 'cause there is a lacuna in the law which sets out the types of vehicles over 3,500kg restricted to 80 KPH in relation to motor caravans over 3,500kg.
    Juuust like the one in the DoE legislation :D:D:D

BTW, I've been away for a while putting a few thousand km on the clock around Europe, anyone heard if the regulations for the testing of motor caravans has been signed into law yet.

• Advertisement

Remember, if your 'van is down as N1 and its GVW or (Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass -same thing) is over 3,500kg, which in itself is an error, 'cause if it's over 3,500 it would be N2, which it shouldn't be anyway 'cause it's a motor caravan and that's a category M vehicle :rolleyes::rolleyes:, 'they' could try to get you for speeding if you are over 80 KPH where 100KPH or 120KPH applies to 'cars', 'cause there is a lacuna in the law which sets out the types of vehicles over 3,500kg restricted to 80 KPH in relation to motor caravans over 3,500kg.
    Juuust like the one in the DoE legislation :D:D:D

BTW, I've been away for a while putting a few thousand km on the clock around Europe, anyone heard if the regulations for the testing of motor caravans has been signed into law yet.

So to find the G. V. W. I would look at (F.1) on my cert, which shows ( F.1) = 1.

And then match this up with the plate on my Motorhome. Which shows 1- 1750Kg
    2- 1900Kg.

Would I be right in thinking that the G.V.W of my van is 1750Kg.

My van Is a Hymer C 524.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

tom22413 wrote: »
    1- 1750Kg
    2- 1900Kg.

Would I be right in thinking that the G.V.W of my van is 1750Kg.

No those are the max loading for front and rear axles ..

Before that you should have GVW and max towing weight ..

Also it will be well over 1750kg unladen, where did you import it from. A lot of those hymers are upplated to 3850kg.

paddyp wrote: »

Before that you should have GVW and max towing weight ..

3400 Kg
    5400 Kg
    1- 1750 Kg
    2- 1900 Kg
    3- ...... Kg
    This is what's on the plate on the side of the van .

[QUOTE Also it will be well over 1750kg unladen, where did you import it from. A lot of those hymers are upplated to 3850kg.[/QUOTE]

I Bought it in Ireland, But the van was first reg in the UK.
    Dealer said a B License would do to drive this, this did not matter to me as I have a C1 License.

F.1. should show 3400 Kg, it looks like there are other errors on your RF101 besides the incorrect EU Vehicle Category, see attached file for how a correct RF101 for a motor caravan should be filled out.

BTW 3400kg is quite a low GVW and you could run into an overloaded situation, as you have a C1 licence why not investigate increasing the GVW to the maximum technically permissible for the axles. This company SvTech will issue an amended vehicle plate for a fee, the SvTech amended plate is fixed over the existing plate and is acceptable to the RSA when it comes to roadworthiness testing.

If you do run overloaded you will run the unlikely risk of prosecution by the Gardaí but if you plan to go abroad police elsewhere are reported to be quite active with regards to checking the weights of motor caravans. Overweight will also be a 'fail' when the roadworthiness testing of motor caravans becomes law here.
    More importantly it could compromise your insurance in the unfortunate event of a accident

F.1. should show 3400 Kg, it looks like there are other errors on your RF101 besides the incorrect EU Vehicle Category, see attached file for how a correct RF101 for a motor caravan should be filled out.

Thats for sure. F1 is indeed Incorrect, and G is also incorrect it reads 55555.
    what a mess.

will look into the weight thing and way up my options.

Thanks to every one for all the help.
    Cheers Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

If it has an alko chassis there might be another plate?

[edit] Just checked and its the 654 GT that has the al-ko chassis[/edit] so yours is 3400kg gvw alright unless it been upplated.

paddyp wrote: »
    If it has an alko chassis there might be another plate?

[edit] Just checked and its the 654 GT that has the al-ko chassis[/edit] so yours is 3400kg gvw alright unless it been upplated.

Hi Paddyp. Had a look to day and found another plate. so their is 2 plates one is under the bonnet, the other is under the electric plug in point, they both show the same as I described in post 9 above.
    cheers thanks again.

Advertisement