Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Predictions 2011

Options
  • 03-06-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi, apologies if this is early but you don't have to look :P

I just saw in another thread that solar activity has increased. Not too sure what's happening with the NAO?
    Can any of you good weather people make a wild guess as to how this winter will unfold. As severe as the last two winters? Or getting milder and more like what we are used to? I realise it is a good bit away, but there must be some pattern?

I have to travel around November/December and looking to book flights but don't want to get caught out. I can book earlier if this winter is going to be like the last ones.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I just saw in another thread that solar activity has increased. Not too sure what's happening with the NAO?
    Can any of you good weather people make a wild guess as to how this winter will unfold. As severe as the last two winters? Or getting milder and more like what we are used to? I realise it is a good bit away, but there must be some pattern?

I have to travel around November/December and looking to book flights but don't want to get caught out. I can book earlier if this winter is going to be like the last ones.
    Thanks

I am flying from Dublin to London on December the 5th , 2011. Can someone tell me if Dublin Airport will be closed due to heavy snowfall?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Give me a minute, the wheel hasn't stopped spinning yet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

o dear:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

derekon wrote: »
    I am flying from Dublin to London on December the 5th , 2011. Can someone tell me if Dublin Airport will be closed due to heavy snowfall?

Thanks in advance.
    sarcasm at its best :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭pauldry

dont have any forecast for this winter but Im sure it will be wet and cold at times:), anyone got any clue why the Summer is taking an Arctic turn???!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,642 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pauldry wrote: »
    dont have any forecast for this winter but Im sure it will be wet and cold at times:), anyone got any clue why the Summer is taking an Arctic turn???!!:eek:

You obviously had a look at the latest ECM run which is indeed the very opposite of what one would hope for at this time of year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

pauldry wrote: »

Probably it's the atmosphere's way of setting up a cold surface for heights to build inexorably towards the big heat wave at the end of July. At least that's my theory -- I remember here in 2009 it was frigid for three or four days in mid-June and then we had the two hottest days ever at the end of July.

This current "regime" has been flipping regularly from one extreme to the other, think back to early November, five days of near-record warmth, then a big windstorm, then six weeks of record cold, then intervals of record warmth especially February, more record warmth in April, really cold end of May, this current warm spell, the projected cold spell next week ... would it really surprise anyone if there was a big heat wave any time after 20-25 June?

There is already heat building up in central Russia so with any retrograde signal there could easily be a Scandi high which is what's generally needed to produce heat in the UK and Ireland in July and August. See the charts for the 1911 heat waves for a good example, highs in the Baltic and near the Azores and a ridge joining them through Ireland and the northern U.K. The 2003 and 2006 heat waves were of a different sort, allowing a Spanish plume to develop or just heat trapped under high thickness near the southern parts of Ireland and Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,642 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

. See the charts for the 1911 heat waves for a good example, highs in the Baltic and near the Azores and a ridge joining them through Ireland and the northern U.K. .

Didn't the Shetland Islands hit a staggering 29C during that spell?? - Hope it works out like that MT and not like last summer when the heat staid put over Russia and we had another mediocre effort:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Thanks
    Impossible to know, no one predicted that December 2010.
    As far as I can see cold winters always follow poor summers eg 1946 and 1985 were probably the two worst summers of the 20th century and both were followed by the two coldest Febs of the century. June 1962 saw record breaking low temps at the beginning of the month and we know what the following winter was like.
    We'll see what summer '11 is like before before making any long range winter forecasts.
    * a poor summer doesn't guarantee a cold winter, mild winters often follow poor summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If we accept that the very cold winter periods of the last two years were mainly due to low solar activity, and that we are still in this cycle, then it's interesting to note that each year the cold has started a month earlier than the year previously, so maybe we are going to get a much colder than average October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

If we accept that the very cold winter periods of the last two years were mainly due to low solar activity, and that we are still in this cycle, then it's interesting to note that each year the cold has started a month earlier than the year previously, so maybe we are going to get a much colder than average October.

Remember those CFS charts a while back?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Remember those CFS charts a while back?! :eek:

Yes I do. Didn't they project the October temperature to come in something like 2-3 degrees below normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ah a Winter thread in the midst of Summer, Dedication lads!! :D

Yes I do. Didn't they project the October temperature to come in something like 2-3 degrees below normal?

can't remember the details but it was something ridiculously cold anyway!!!

no one predicted that December 2010.
    You obviously didnt see MT's winter forecast then :cool:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Came across this article/forecast.

http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

Basically saying that this coming winter could be colder than the last 3! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Positive weather solutions released an extreme long range weather forecast- theyre forecasting an extremely cold winter every monthe from october til march is colder than average or much colder than average yay! we can only hope!
    :D:D:D:D

Autumn 2011 - Winter 2012

These are the latest long term projections produced by the PWS System.

September 2011 - Warmer than average; slightly wetter than average.

October 2011 - Slightly colder than average; slightly wetter than average.

November 2011 - Slightly colder than average; on the average for rainfall.

December 2011 - Slightly colder than average; on the average for rainfall.

January 2012 - Substantially colder than average; slightly wetter than average.

February 2012 - Substantially colder than average; slightly wetter than average.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Positive weather solutions released an extreme long range weather forecast- theyre forecasting an extremely cold winter every monthe from october til march is colder than average or much colder than average yay! we can only hope!
    :D:D:D:D

Autumn 2011 - Winter 2012

These are the latest long term projections produced by the PWS System.

September 2011 - Warmer than average; slightly wetter than average.

October 2011 - Slightly colder than average; slightly wetter than average.

November 2011 - Slightly colder than average; on the average for rainfall.

December 2011 - Slightly colder than average; on the average for rainfall.

January 2012 - Substantially colder than average; slightly wetter than average.

February 2012 - Substantially colder than average; slightly wetter than average.

Who are PWS? Never even heard of them?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

http://www.positiveweathersolutions.co.uk/index.php

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions :pac:

Fionagus wrote: »
    http://www.positiveweathersolutions.co.uk/index.php

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions :pac:

I'll believe it when it happens . . .long range forecasts need to be taken with about this size of a pinch of . . .

salt.jpg

Edit: Speaking of which, we'll need all of that^^^ if that prediction come true!

• Advertisement

Forget PWS.
    Il be looking out for these :)
    Fionagus wrote: »
    Berwick swans have arrived in England 3 weeks earlier than last year. It's supposed to indicate a harsh winter's on the way though to be honest its probably more of a reflection of likely conditions in Siberia
    http://www.independent.ie/and-finally/arrival-of-swans-sparks-winter-fear-2384431.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks in advance.

Yes, maybe, possibly, probably, don't know, no, definitely not, what you think we are psychics

choose one of the above :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Originally Posted by Fionagus
    Berwick swans have arrived in England 3 weeks earlier than last year. It's supposed to indicate a harsh winter's on the way

Pangea wrote: »
    Forget PWS.
    Il be looking out for these :)

Yep!! Predicts With Swans is a way better option :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Positive Weather Solutions - they predicted a severe February last winter, it was 2c above average. Pay no attention to them.

Positive Weather Solutions - they predicted a severe February last winter, it was 2c above average. Pay no attention to them.

In fairness we where all expecting a third wave of very cold weather that never came around that period! FI was teasing us all.

Won't trust them either way, but it could eb possible that they just had one bad month!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yes, maybe, possibly, probably, don't know, no, definitely not, what you think we are psychics

choose one of the above :)

You may have detected a slight note of sarcasm in my original post? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You may have detected a slight note of sarcasm in my original post? cool.gif

Just a teeny weeny winchey bit.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Thanks

Mystic Meg brings good news, Dublin will be under 3 feet of snow by Christmas Eve! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

Mystic Meg brings good news, Dublin will be under 3 feet of snow by Christmas Eve! ;)

http://www.almanac.com/blog/weather-blog/boom-eruption-gr%C3%ADmsv%C3%B6tn-volcano

according to this, maybe earlier? This particular clairvoyant thinks volcanic eruptions cause cooling for a year or more post event.

Advertisement