Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trial work and payment

Options
  • 03-06-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I started a new job a few weeks ago in a bar and was initially taken on a trial basis but wasn't told how long the trial would be for. Was told I'd be taken on for weekend work (when they'd be busiest) but they've not called me back.

My main question is whether or not I can ask them for payment for the hours I did. They never told me I'd be paid but neither did they tell me I'd be working for free, just that I'd be doing working on a trial shift. Is it legal for an employer to do this?

A fair few of my friends have worked in places where they were kept on for a few shifts and then let go, only to have a new person brought in and the process repeated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

staygold wrote: »
    I started a new job a few weeks ago in a bar and was initially taken on a trial basis but wasn't told how long the trial would be for.

<snip>

A fair few of my friends have worked in places where they were kept on for a few shifts and then let go, only to have a new person brought in and the process repeated.
    Sounds like a scam that gets work done for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 staygold

Happy ending, they offered me regular hours yesterday!

Advertisement