Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed up roster - missed a day!

Options
  • 03-06-2011 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all,

I started a new job in a retail store just over a week ago and it's been going fine so far. I thought that I was rostered to work today and tomorrow, but when I clocked in this morning the times for tomorrow's shift, which begins half an hour earlier, showed up on the computer. I presumed it was a mistake and mentioned it to the main manager who said she'd fix it.

However, later on during my shift I met my department manager who informed me that the later shift was scheduled for YESTERDAY and the earlier one for today. So in effect, I missed a shift yesterday and turned up half an hour late for one today! I never got a phone-call or anything yesterday so I guess I wasn't desperately missed but I still feel that it was a pretty big mistake to make. I was obviously extremely apologetic and the manager was understanding about it but I've never felt to stupid in my life for reading the roster wrong. I would never normally make mistakes like that and have checked the roster numerous times this week - I honestly don't know how I got it wrong, presumably it was because I worked these days last week.

I'm now off for a few days and honestly I'm dreading going back to work because I feel like I've really messed up - some of the other staff were there when the manager corrected me so I know that a lot of people will know. I'm just wondering for people who've worked in retail for a while, is this a huge error or do people tend to confuse rosters at times? I've worked in a few shops and never seen this happen which is why I feel like it is a really big deal and that I've really messed up. Honestly I've been in tears since I came home because I hate doing silly little things like that, especially when I've only just started. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You've only just started. Probably the best time to make a mistake like this, because you're given the leeway for it.

You're being way too hard on yourself. Yes, you probably feel a little silly but it's a mistake, you're not perfect. It won't be hanging over you for the rest of your life :)

If it was really that big a deal, someone would have noticed it yesterday and called you in. You say that your boss was understanding about it and presumably didn't make a scene or anything, so I'd let it go. If it really was a big deal, there would be formal warnings and the rest flying about.

Just remember to be more careful and in a few weeks you'll have forgotten all about it. And from the short time I spent in retail, yes it is relatively common for rosters to be mixed up by people.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

I don't think you have anything to worry about really. In a roster based job where your hours are different from one week to another it's easy to make a mistake. I'm sure it's not the first time your manager has seen someone make such a mistake.

As long as you don't make this a regular occurrence your manager won't be long forgetting about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davey122

Your over reacting... Whats the big issue? You made a genuine mistake. Your manager has said its fine etc and plus uve only just started. You shouldnt even be thinking about it anymore.... Be happy that this is ur biggest worry. Uve got a job and are healthy enough to work. There are lots of people who cant.

Advertisement