Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an post depot dock road

Options
  • 03-06-2011 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the post depot on the dock road is open on a saturday? My post office is open so i thought there might be a chance. Have a package waiting for me and dont want to wait until tuesday to be able to pick it up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Not go down today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Not go down today?

Sorry, should of been more clear, the package is on its way to limerick and wotn be there til tonight meaning they will have it in the morning.

Always a catch with a bank holiday :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Limerick one is 9:30 to 13:00 and 14:00 to 17:00 Mon - Fri.

061 212904 is their contact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Limericks wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the post depot on the dock road is open on a saturday? My post office is open so i thought there might be a chance. Have a package waiting for me and dont want to wait until tuesday to be able to pick it up!

A post office collection depot?.... open on a Saturday you say!???? :eek:

Of coarse not, despite the fact that the majority of the country work saturdays now that most of us need the depot as we were / are NOT avail at home during office hours we simply couldnt ask for a postal service worker to be in an office handing out parcels on a weekend ... my god... the idea is almost barbaric :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I still laugh at the slips left in the post box... "you werent at home today during 9am - 5pm so please collect your parcel between 9am to 5pm at X location" .... is the irony lost on them completely of what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yeah like many public services in Ireland the level of service has dropped dramatically. The last time you can post for collection in Limerick on an evening is 5pm, this despite the fact that many businesses work until 6pm and even later. Some years ago one could post until 10 and up to recently until 7, now 5 :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

what gets on my tits is the fact that i work from home, often getting deliveries of laptops and computer parts, my letterbox is literally just outside my door, DHL can knock, DPD can knock, hell even UPS or any private courier can knock, but SDS? nahh, course not, they drop the leaflet in the letterbox to tell me my parcel can be collected the next business day at their offices which are literally not even 100 yards down the road from me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

hightower1 wrote: »
    A post office collection depot?.... open on a Saturday you say!???? :eek:

Of coarse not, despite the fact that the majority of the country work saturdays now that most of us need the depot as we were / are NOT avail at home during office hours we simply couldnt ask for a postal service worker to be in an office handing out parcels on a weekend ... my god... the idea is almost barbaric :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I still laugh at the slips left in the post box... "you werent at home today during 9am - 5pm so please collect your parcel between 9am to 5pm at X location" .... is the irony lost on them completely of what.

I hate this, usually because even though there were two cars parked outside as my housemate is on holidays from college and I was working late shifts so was at home early, they still didnt bother knocking, I just got the "attempted delivery" slip in the postbox with the letters, ffs how is that an attempt at delivering something? now if I buy something online it usually means an extra days wait to get down to the depot (great fun on a friday afternoon that is) and collect it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

For small stuff some of the Centra stores now offer a (3rd Party service) a collection box. Where you can get your package delivered to the local Centra store if you work and are not at home during the day, and have it stored in a locker box. Even if it needs to be signed for
    apparently couriers will still deliver to the box.
    (There is a webpage but I dont remember it)

Only catch is the lockers are more or less like foot lockers or a double size foot locker so larger packages wont fit! and some stores may not offer to store larger deliveries.

There is either a small rental fee per year for the box or you pay a small charge per delivery.
    I had planned on using the service for reasons that High tower pointed out but the stuff
    I get delivered regularly is fairly large sized boxes.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

krudler wrote: »
    they still didnt bother knocking, I just got the "attempted delivery" slip in the postbox with the letters, ffs how is that an attempt at delivering something?
    +1
    they did they to me a few times, so woke up early to catch him putting in the slip so I opened the door and goes "juu'no how tah knock j'eaaah? :confused:" so he pulled a face and left, luckily for me now we've a nicer postman now

May interest a few people:
    http://www.localebox.ie/

At the moment its only on Trial period in Centra Beside South Court Hotel.
    (I've no idea if anyone signed up for it but I've never seen anyone use it)

Thinking of using it myself as I used to get all my stuff delivered to work
    but nowadays thats frowned upon. (especially with my interests and the things I get delivered but for me the lockers are a little small, if they offer to hold stuff for me in the back office for slightly longer and larger boxes etc will happy sign up)

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

bullets wrote: »

Thinking of using it myself as I used to get all my stuff delivered to work
    but nowadays thats frowned upon. (especially with my interests and the things I get delivered ...

~B

i think anyone would frown upon a package with "bullets" on the delivery docket! :P

i'll get my coat / bulletproof jacket... :o

xsiborg wrote: »
    i think anyone would frown upon a package with "bullets" on the delivery docket! :P

i'll get my coat / bulletproof jacket... :o

Ohhh all the gun fun stuff I used to get delivered when I knew a friendly bloke from stores that unfortunately left the company.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

They even close for lunch and don't open late! FFS!

slinky2000 wrote: »
    They even close for lunch and don't open late! FFS!

Yep! and the an post drivers are not issued with phones so they cant and wont phone you if you have contact details on the package your getting delivered. If you travel in on a Saturday morning there is usually someone in the office but the room with the packages is locked and they cant give you the package even when there are members of staff there and working!!!! (or sometimes they can depending on who's on!)

For people like myself, I dont drive and only own a bicycle and am working 8:00 - 17:00 so cant be there to meet a driver unless they phone me in advance (as am only 5 mins cycle from home) and cant collect the package when they are open.

Being able to get a package delivered to your local shop I think is a great idea! The Centra place doing the trial of the eboxes are now open until 11pm (new opening times) 7 days a week, so on my way home from work I could collect anything I missed during the day. Was talking to the local centra today they cant offer to take larger parcels that wont fit in the lockers unfortunately as they said they dont want to be responsible for anything that may be put into a store room or office where it could go missing so they are only going to stick to things that can fit in the lockers that have been provided to them. (to cover their own asses) they did say they would ask about getting provided with larger lockers though. So far they said the've only had 5-7 deliveries despite the service running
    for as far as I know well over a month. (Which is a pity as I think it may not take off but I wish it would)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭manna452121

The depot is open during lunch time,and for security reasons on a saturday all reg items are in a safe but if the package is a standard item this can be given out.Some months ago UPS sent me a card saying the were holding an item for collection and could I make contact.On phoning the number I was asked if I could collect the item in Shannon.They had no van in my area for at least two days,I live on the ennis rd.In the end I just waited for the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hi folks,

For people living in Castletroy is this (Dock Road) the closest Postal Depot? Don't particularly fancy driving into Limerick City after work this evening.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

callaway92 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

For people living in Castletroy is this (Dock Road) the closest Postal Depot? Don't particularly fancy driving into Limerick City after work this evening.

Thanks

I think the dock road one is the only post depot in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Hi folks,

Thanks

Yeah, I live in Castletroy and have to go to Dock Road to collect registered post.

Jaysis.

Thanks lads!

Feck me this place was some trek altogether. Far far side of town through what can only be described as the 'rougher' part of Limerick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Feck me this place was some trek altogether. Far far side of town through what can only be described as the 'rougher' part of Limerick!

Why did you go by Newcastlewest?

leakyboots wrote: »
    Why did you go by Newcastlewest?

Yeh good one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's rougher parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

I'm not trying to start a fight but I'm genuinely interested in what the rough area is between Castletroy and the Dock rd?

I'm not trying to start a fight but I'm genuinely interested in what the rough area is between Castletroy and the Dock rd?

I thought down by the depot itself was proper run-down and rough.

I thought down by the depot itself was proper run-down and rough.

It's an under-developed Docklands area, wouldnt expect much more tbh. Could be developed into something like Dublin or Cork has and there were plans a few years back but the Council love announcing these "plans" and then not following up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mc Love wrote:
    It's an under-developed Docklands area, wouldnt expect much more tbh. Could be developed into something like Dublin or Cork has and there were plans a few years back but the Council love announcing these "plans" and then not following up with them.

Have you got details of that plan? I'm almost certain it was a private venture and nothing to do with the Council.

As much as I love pointing out the inadequacies of our local government, I don't think we can pin this one on them!

zulutango wrote: »
    Have you got details of that plan? I'm almost certain it was a private venture and nothing to do with the Council.

As much as I love pointing out the inadequacies of our local government, I don't think we can pin this one on them!

My bad - I think it might have been the Port company.

This is as much as I can find at the moment: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/limerick-docklands-plan-could-create-1-000-jobs-1.1042530

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Old thread but still relevant.
    THe times have changed I believe but I can't find them on the site. Anyone have a copy of one of the newer slips, I believe it is 7pm these days for collection at dock road.
    Anyone confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Yup open till 7pm

Advertisement