Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Murtagh for Ireland?

Options
  • 03-06-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES4/articles/000012/001259.shtml
    Ireland may have a new cricket recruit if Middlesex bowler Tim Murtagh has his way. Murtagh, who played for England U19s, qualifies through his grandparents, both of whom were born in Dublin.
    "I think I would be eligible for an Irish passport and be able to play.
    "Whether they're keen or not I don't know as I haven't pushed it yet, but it's definitely an avenue I'd look at exploring," he told BBC London 94.9.
    "I've got Irish grandparents and do have Irish blood in me. There have been a couple of enquiries but I've heard nothing back since."
    Murtagh’s Irish roots came up in conversation with Ireland batsman Ed Joyce, a close friend since their days at Lord’s.
    "I was away with Ed during the winter for the weekend with our partners.
    "The topic just came up one night when we were sat in the pub, and he was asking about my Irish roots as I've got Irish grandparents."
    The seamer continued: "It's up to the Irish Cricket Board and whether they're interested in me, I've had some emails back and forth and I would qualify as both my grandparents were born in Ireland."
    1Tim-Murtagh%5B1%5D.jpgMurtagh has taken 32 wickets in 5 games so far this season, and stands third in the averages.
    His uncle Andy, who was born in Dublin, played for Hampshire for many years, while Tim’s brother Chris was at Surrey for several seasons. He now plays with Shropshire in the Minor Counties championship.
    He would join former Hamish Marshall, the former new Zealand test player, as a high profile player who “declared” without having played in Irish cricket.
    "I'm coming up to my 30th birthday so realistically if I was going to play for England then that would have happened by now,” says Tim.

"So the chance of playing an international tournament would be massive for me and something I'd find very hard to turn down."

I always thought he was a decent player but I don't know if he'd make a massive difference to our bowling attack. That said he's a seasoned pro so he'd obviously bring something.

What do people think?

And as a side note how do people feel about our cricket team perhaps turning into something like the football team? Lads not good enough to play for England, having waited until they are in their late 20's, deciding to play the granny card or whatever and get a game for Ireland.

Given that the playing pool is smaller in Ireland I think it would be far more detremental to start overlooking our homegrown players for failed england players on a regular basis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

as you say we have a small player pool and adding in a player with lots of first class experience does have a lot of benefits, for me our bowling is still quite weak, we need a player like Murtagh to provide some depth there but I don't think just anyone should be allowed in he'll need to prove he's committed, not just there for the couple of big ODI's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'd be happy for him to play for us. Very decent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bazzmundo

Tim Murtagh would walk into the Irish team as a seamer so bring him on I'd say. Decent bat aswell actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭wicorthered

I think this is a route we should be going down. I'm sure there are plenty more Irish qualified players on the county cricket circuit!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I think this is a route we should be going down. I'm sure there are plenty more Irish qualified players on the county cricket circuit!!

I don't - we need to ensure that up & coming youngsters get a chance if they're good enough. It's too easy to trawl for Irish grannies and build a temporary team that way.

In this specific case, Tim Murtagh would be a good fit, so long as he gets involved for the whole 9 yards - ICup games, winter tours to not-very-glamorous places, everything. Showing up for a couple of ODIs a year won't cut it.

I trust Phil Simmons and CI to manage this area properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭wicorthered

TrueDub wrote: »
    I don't - we need to ensure that up & coming youngsters get a chance if they're good enough. It's too easy to trawl for Irish grannies and build a temporary team that way.

In this specific case, Tim Murtagh would be a good fit, so long as he gets involved for the whole 9 yards - ICup games, winter tours to not-very-glamorous places, everything. Showing up for a couple of ODIs a year won't cut it.

I trust Phil Simmons and CI to manage this area properly.

Is there genuinely enough young talent coming through to compete consistently against the big boys? I don't think so. The second ODI against Pakistan was a case in point, yes we competed for a large portion of the game, but we never looked like we could win it. At crucial points in the game, we lacked the talent/experience to turn the screw. Getting a core of 5-6 good experienced county players on board, will fix that and hopefully turn hard fought defeats into victories.

We'd all love an Irish team containing 11 born and bred Irish men, competing with the very best. The fact is though, cricket is still very much a minority sport here, with a small player pool. Outside influxes are need to add depth. Otherwise we won't grow past our current position. If an Irish cricket team containing 5-6 granny rule players suddenly starts beating, not just competing with test nations, popularity will increase and then in 10-15 you'd hopefully have a Irish born 11 competing as a strong cricketing nation.

Advertisement