Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Down in Limerick?

Options
  • 03-06-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having issues with their UPC internet in Limerick? Mine's been down since yesterday afternoon and is still down... Third light on the Cisco router blinking.

I have tv with them too and that still seems to be working.

Rang customer support and the fella said it would be Tuesday before they would send out an engineer, that's the whole bank holiday without it if it's not resolved their side :mad:

He asked me to call into my neighbours and ask if their Internet was also down and if so to get them to also call up. I suppose they wait for the number of complaints to rise before they actually take it seriously?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

mine is fine anyway i'm in thomondgate

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Fine here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I suppose they wait for the number of complaints to rise before they actually take it seriously?

No, they'll want to confirm that it's not just localised to you. As such, the problem could be your router, or even your computer, but if the neighbours are also out, then it'll be somewhere on their network or on the cabling in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Thankfully it's back up now. Got a text saying the fault in my area was resolved. Not sure if that's just a generic message though. Seems like it was an external issue as nothing had changed from my side.

Service was down for a few hours last week too. Only been with them a couple of months, hope downtime like this isn't always so regular with them.

Fantastic speed mind, although the 250GB cap is a bit of a pain.

One thing I learned is this. If you lose your connection report it immediately. I should have done so yesterday rather than this morning. You get a refund from the time you report the fault to the time service is restored.

Wonder if their freephone number really is free from the mobile. Was on hold for 20 minutes with 3 people in the queue. It was as if they only had one person working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

jor el wrote: »
    No, they'll want to confirm that it's not just localised to you. As such, the problem could be your router, or even your computer, but if the neighbours are also out, then it'll be somewhere on their network or on the cabling in the street.

So the approved way of doing this is to get your customer to ask his neighbours? They can check from their side right? Tech support laziness/indifference I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So the approved way of doing this is to get your customer to ask his neighbours? They can check from their side right? Tech support laziness/indifference I think.

To check a problem in the locality of the end user, they may need to send someone out. A quicker way to verify would be if other customers were to confirm that there was a fault, then it's not localised to one user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Slattery123

Hello,there is problem here to, Im in south Tipperary, and iv been only getting 3 megs for last week and im paying for 30 megabits. When I rang them they told me the whole Munster area has some technical difficulties and they told me they would sent an engineer to check the problem in the estate i live in, that was a few days ago now that phone call when they promised to fix it, and im still getting slow connection slow download, sometimes you tube wont even load properly, They were able to confirm from there side it wasn't my router or modem and it was problems on there network so im still waiting for them to sort this issue out aswell as you,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Slattery123

Since then I have been told the UPC van has been in my area and they have been looking at the problem but the internet is still very poor, Like you say they they have tenancy only to acknowledged things when enough people ring them, If this is still poor connection in few days I will be ringing them again as they should not be making fake promises to me on phone saying we will sort it straight away, I would rather just be told truth then lied to over phone as to when the problem is going to be completely fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I'm in Limerick and noticed the 10 meg UPC acting a bit sluggish last 2-3 days. YouTube takes ages to start a movie, pages opening slow, etc.
    As usual I went to speedtest.net, but for some reason I don't believe what I'm seeing, the speed is going up and down from 1-44 megs, but at the end of the test somehow stops at 11 megs. I'll try to record it and maybe post later, but in the meantime, anyone else having problems wit speedtest.net?

here's the video:
    http://screenr.com/tAss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    I'm in Limerick and noticed the 10 meg UPC acting a bit sluggish last 2-3 days. YouTube takes ages to start a movie, pages opening slow, etc.
    As usual I went to speedtest.net, but for some reason I don't believe what I'm seeing, the speed is going up and down from 1-44 megs, but at the end of the test somehow stops at 11 megs. I'll try to record it and maybe post later, but in the meantime, anyone else having problems wit speedtest.net?

here's the video:
    http://screenr.com/tAss

Test to the dublin server.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

^^ doesn't make any difference, tried few different servers, funnily enough most UK servers seems to have lower pings than Irish

and just tested it with Chrome (previous test with FF4) to check if it's not a browser issue, but Chrome shows the same

Advertisement