Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English poetry - HELP!!!

Options
  • 03-06-2011 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Ok so yesterday I was convinced I need to know more than one poet (Boland) so I resigned myself to shutting myself in my room for the next six days and drilling Dickinson and Yeats into me. Problem is, I only have notes on Wordsworth and Hopkins. The Hopkins notes are much more in detail but I heard he's not meant to be coming up... Could someone link me to good, printable Dickinson/Yeats notes or is Hopkins a good choice? Coz I'm flipping out here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Fbjm wrote: »
    Ok so yesterday I was convinced I need to know more than one poet (Boland) so I resigned myself to shutting myself in my room for the next six days and drilling Dickinson and Yeats into me. Problem is, I only have notes on Wordsworth and Hopkins. The Hopkins notes are much more in detail but I heard he's not meant to be coming up... Could someone link me to good, printable Dickinson/Yeats notes or is Hopkins a good choice? Coz I'm flipping out here

Why would you assume Hopkins isn't coming up and Yeats might be? Ridiculous. Hopkins hasn't appeared on the paper since 2004. Eavan Boland and Emily Dickinson both came up in 2005.

Why are people predicting that Hopkins won't be on the paper? What on earth are they basing this on?????

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

But at the same time, Yeats was there last year, as the previous post said Hopkins hasnt been there for a long time, if i was a gambling man i would DEFINITELY GO WITH HOPKINS.

But i'm not, an we didnt do him, so i'm going with Boland (could be a tough question), Dickinson and Frost. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Why not study Wordsworth and Hopkins instead? You already have notes on them and, if you're to believe predictions, one of them is expected to come up. That would leave you with 3 poets, none of whom came up last year. Although I'd advise anyone to have 5 poets to be completely sure, if one of those 3 poets doesn't come up it would be extremely unlucky! Wordsworth hasn't been up on the paper ever I believe, Hopkins hasnt been on since 2004 and with Boland not being on last year she's due to come up, although I have a feeling she'll be left off again to throw people off. As much as a lot of people would be devastated I'd find it oddly funny! When I think of people putting in so much effort learning 4 or 5 poets and then think of people able to get the same results from just learning one poet it just seems unfair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Why not study Wordsworth and Hopkins instead? You already have notes on them and, if you're to believe predictions, one of them is expected to come up. That would leave you with 3 poets, none of whom came up last year. Although I'd advise anyone to have 5 poets to be completely sure, if one of those 3 poets doesn't come up it would be extremely unlucky! Wordsworth hasn't been up on the paper ever I believe, Hopkins hasnt been on since 2004 and with Boland not being on last year she's due to come up, although I have a feeling she'll be left off again to throw people off. As much as a lot of people would be devastated I'd find it oddly funny! When I think of people putting in so much effort learning 4 or 5 poets and then think of people able to get the same results from just learning one poet it just seems unfair!

Ok, ok. Cool. All the polls are saying they're far from favourites but you're right, one of them HAS to come up. Which means I'm currently wasting valuable seconds. Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Dont pay too much heed to those polls. Teachers from all over the country are going to be telling students different things. Obviously some are goin to get it 100% right but the majority of them won't. Just study smart and you'll be fine! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I wish now I could have given myself more time to study a couple of more poets, the only ones im knowing going into the exam are Boland and Frost, if I don't see one thier names on that paper I think I will cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

I have a bit of insight from someone high up in the Department of Education who implied that Dickinson and Hopkins will be on the paper.
    We studied Wordworth in school instead, unforch =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

Iceboy wrote: »
    I wish now I could have given myself more time to study a couple of more poets, the only ones im knowing going into the exam are Boland and Frost, if I don't see one thier names on that paper I think I will cry

If I were you I'd do Dickinson as well just to be on the safe side.

Advertisement