Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countries with a lower focus on alcohol

Options
  • 02-06-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Thinking of going travelling but I hate getting caught up in that culture of constant boozing. I would rather go somewhere I can partake in lots of sports and other activities. I know it's really what you make of a place but I was just wondering what countries people have been to and how they found the attitude to alcohol there. I think it would be easier for me if I was in an environment where alcohol wasn't such a focus as I'm trying to kick the booze for good.
    Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

When I was a postgrad @ Uni, a new postdoc arrived from China to join our research group. To be friendly a few of us asked him if he wanted to join us for a pint in town. His response I will never forget; he said...
    "No thank you, I'm not thirsty"

None of us had ever heard anyone say that before, yet it made so much sense.

So perhaps China. Also in New York I was too distracted to even think about drinking. Amazing city.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

I once had a heavy drinking friend who on Mondays used to fantasize of having a job in a lighthouse. Believe it's called a 'geographical' in recovery circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

There is plenty to do in China, but going by the hangover I have now I think it is much the same as any other country, and being foreign may mean it is somewhat expected of you to drink

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

It's not uncommon in the States not to drink (at least away from the Irish scene). And even if some of the people in the group do drink, it's not considered nearly as odd to be a non-drinker there, nor do people make such a big deal out of it if you don't partake.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

i traveled in vietnam for 6 weeks without drinking..
    no probs beautiful fruit smoothies everywhere..
    a freind who doesnt drink done 6 months in s.america
    without drink..

i think you can go anywhere in the world and not drink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lisa8786

I know you're right. It's probably more about the place you're in in your head rather than physically with some exceptions maybe!Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Lisa8786 wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I would rather go somewhere I can partake in lots of sports and other activities.
    Thanks a lot.

Dubai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Wisco wrote: »
    It's not uncommon in the States not to drink (at least away from the Irish scene). And even if some of the people in the group do drink, it's not considered nearly as odd to be a non-drinker there, nor do people make such a big deal out of it if you don't partake.

No problem to just have a coffee or a juice in the company of drinkers here. But it may be a little difficult to stay with it if everyone is getting tanked. Just stay away from the Irish pub scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Shakti wrote: »
    Dubai
    Not really, considering Dubai is like 95% expats :P

But it IS one of the more non-drinker friendly places I know [and love] as it has lots of things on late into the night

OP, dont worry about the drinking in countries. Go somewhere you wanna go, see what you wanna see. Its down to people, and everywhere has idiots fixated on drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

One of the main reasons for me stopping (or at least massively cutting down, as I'm not entirely teetotal) was experiencing life in France. The social scene there is about going out, having a laugh and maybe a couple of drinks, whereas in Ireland it's about going out, getting locked, suffering a severe hangover, trying to piece the previous night together, and posting on facebook about how awesome the night was. I played on a rugby team that had training on Saturdays at 10am and matches on Sundays at noon. No one seemed to care.

Generally, anywhere in the continent is good, so long as you stay away from the Irish ex-pat crowd (and to an extent the British crowd).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Israel is amazing Tel Aviv is a brilliant safe place, with great beaches and hot wimmens : ) its really cheap too. Id describe it as America in the middle east and being Irish your accent will get you laid :cool:

Advertisement