Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem not connecting via ADSL2+ mode

Options
  • 02-06-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I upgraded to 24mb with Digiweb last Thursday, however I am still syncing at 7616kbps :mad:. Having rang them today, they insist that they have upgraded the line and that the problem must be my modem. The modem is a Netgear DG834G v3, which is adsl2+ capable. When I telnet into the modem it shows that it's connecting via adsl1, and forcing it to use adsl2+ I get no connection. Could the router be the problem, or are Digiweb telling me porkies about the line being upgraded? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are your line stats? Did you check with digiweb before agreeing to the upgrade that your line was capable of the increased speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sweetafton

My line is capable of ~15mbs according to Digiweb. I am 0.75-1km from the exchange. My line stats are:

Line Attenuation: 22db 4.5db

SNB (Noise Ratio): 12db 25 db

The first being down, the latter up.
    (Presumable still on ADSL1)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may be connected to a legacy adsl1 card in your exchange and eircom may have to physically transfer you to an adsl2 card for the service to work but didn't bother yet and confirmed the process as complete anyway. eircom have 100s of 1000s of adsl1 ports in their physical system even now, perhaps as many as 400,000.

These are fine for 1 and 3 mbit legacy packages of which there are stacks out there.

Get digiweb to chase eircom wholesale.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You may be connected to a legacy adsl1 card in your exchange and eircom may have to physically transfer you to an adsl2 card for the service to work but didn't bother yet and confirmed the process as complete anyway. eircom have 100s of 1000s of adsl1 ports in their physical system even now, perhaps as many as 400,000.

These are fine for 1 and 3 mbit legacy packages of which there are stacks out there.

Get digiweb to chase eircom wholesale.

You were right on the money, Sponge Bob. Just got a call back from digiweb saying that eircom have to have an engineer go to the exchange and physically set it up and that it would take a few working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

sweetafton wrote: »
    My line is capable of ~15mbs according to Digiweb. I am 0.75-1km from the exchange. My line stats are:

Line Attenuation: 22db 4.5db

SNB (Noise Ratio): 12db 25 db

The first being down, the latter up.
    (Presumable still on ADSL1)
    That line attenuation looks very high for such a short line, do you have a lot of extension sockets or cables in use? Do the stats change if you plug the modem into a different socket, without a splitter?

• Advertisement

Seems to be constant, even when isolating the connection. I can see the exchange out the window (I think it's the northeast regional headquarters) so I'm surprised I don't have better attenuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The 04 area HQ was apparently in Drogheda though this was back in Telecom Eireann days, network management and national level stuff is all done in Citywest now I think. The staff on the ground would still operate from Dundalk for the 042 area, but I'm not exactly sure how that's managed. I'm not sure where regional switching of phone calls take place either.

The 04 area administrative HQ was in Drogheda all right (which is why it's 041), but as far as I'm aware the engineering HQ is here marked by a huge communications tower which was/is used to radio the engineers. Either way, I do wonder why I don't have better attenuation when I can see a four storey eircom building out the window. :confused:

Advertisement