Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUI Postgrads entry.. Competitive??

Options
  • 02-06-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi

I'm applying to do a postgrad in NUI Galway this September. (Corporate Strategy and People management and International Management)

Are these hard to get into? I see there is only 20 spaces. But i heard they take more sometimes.

I have an Honours degree in Business with 2.1 result.

Thanks! :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I wouldn't worry about it. The fools at the top have decided they want to output 200 postgrads a year from now on, so, much like the degrees, I would suspect that it's a "pay your money and take your qualification" job.
    Quantity looks better than quality on paper.
    If you're looking for funding it might be a different matter, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Thats very interesting. :) I will worry about the funding element later.

Thanks Ficheall. I was never in NUI. Did you study there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

Don't worry, a 2.1 is a great degree level to apply to a masters. If they don't take you on, then they are missing out! I wish you the best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

scabo33 wrote: »
    Thats very interesting. :) I will worry about the funding element later.

Thanks Ficheall. I was never in NUI. Did you study there?

Just finishing (hopefully!) my postgrad here.

And it's too late to worry about funding now, if you've not looked into it already. Though I don't think there's much funding for masters in any case.

This smbc strip seems relevant: http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110515.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vivagora

Ive a friend that did that course this year. 2.1 is grand and course wont be too tough compared to other masters. Galway is fantastic great craic!

• Advertisement

Thanks Ficheall I will get on researching grants from the morning! Appreciate that Marguerite!! :):D

Thanks Viva did your friend enjoy it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vivagora

Oh god ya! And got a job with Accenture in America so must be a very good course. Sounds interesting

Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I was told over 120 people applied for my post-grad course, with 50 places available. I got a 1.1 under-grad so was told that I was 'safe', however all the friends I made in the course got a 2.1 and they were there, so I reckon you're safe enough

Thanks John! Results in 2 weeks so hopefully the average is safe until then :):D

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 8 Verified rep JE Cairnes

Just to let you know that this year we have been operating a roling offer system in response to requests from students so they could know as early as possible if they have a place for next year.

Places are limited and there have been some offers made in the first 3 rounds but there will be further offers made in the 4th round in Late June. Best advice would be to get your application in asap as once the programme fills the programme will be closed and listed here http://www.nuigalway.ie/postgrad/closed-programmes/

Thanks! Any ideas when the offers are out? I heard it was early this week?

Advertisement