Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs with off-license sales

Options
  • 02-06-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭

Quite often you'll find yourself in a traditional pub with the usual array of beers on sale, while next door, in the attached off-license (same premises/company) you'll find a much wider array/selection of beers for sale.

Is there anything preventing the pub from selling the same selection of bottled beers in the pub as they do in the off-license? Obviously they would have to be priced at the same (or greater) price point as their standard fare, just wondering if there was a law or licensing condition that prevents them from selling a wider selection of beers. Are wholesale off-license sales based on specific selling conditions (over the counter pub, Vs off-sales) and are they priced/taxed differently? Would the publican have to pay more for a bottle of beer that they sell over the pub counter, versus one they might sell in off-license sales?

My local pub only sells the standard fare, while their off-license has a nice selection of brew-dog, Brooklyn, wheat-beers, etc. for which I would happily pay a premium.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is there anything preventing the pub from selling the same selection of bottled beers in the pub as they do in the off-license?
    Nope. A pub licence comes with an off licence built in.
    Would the publican have to pay more for a bottle of beer that they sell over the pub counter, versus one they might sell in off-license sales?
    Nope. the only difference is the higher overheads involved in the on-trade.
    My local pub only sells the standard fare, while their off-license has a nice selection of brew-dog, Brooklyn, wheat-beers, etc. for which I would happily pay a premium.
    And did they refuse you when you asked for some?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeerNut wrote: »
    And did they refuse you when you asked for some?
    I'll be honest, it never occurred to me before (and I don't frequent my local pub too often). I walked 2.5 miles to the Porterhouse in Bray last night to enjoy some good beer, instead of walking half a mile to the local pub to enjoy lesser beer.

Seems like a simple way to increase a pub's range of products without a significant overhead (some additional pricing sheets, perhaps). Will the pub lose discounts if they don't have the same turnover of their more typical products, like Guinness, Carlsberg, etc?

Holland's in Bray is another example. Superb beer selection in the off-license (conveniently kept in fridges), and a single tap of craft beer in the pub (and lucky to have it too). They were also selling Curim in bottles the last time I was there though.

Holland's in Bray is another example. Superb beer selection in the off-license (conveniently kept in fridges), and a single tap of craft beer in the pub
    I'm willing to bet you haven't been in any time recently. Go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Foley's pub in Sligo will sell beers from the wide range in their attached off-licence shop.

Seems to be a 5 euro standard price.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Aha, Foleys eh. I sell her Beers. Frankly her store room around the corner is an Alladins Cave of products. She'll buy anything once. I wish everybody had an Off License like hers nearby. The choice is something else.

The public bar on the other hand is completely different. The simple affair is on offer and is very very much an old mans bar.

• Advertisement

I'm willing to bet you haven't been in any time recently. Go back.
    I was there last Sunday (for a quick drink). The O'Hara's stout tap had been switched for Belfast Blonde (which was lovely), but they also had posters up around the place for a promotion of Curim for €4. Why, did I miss something?

I was there last Sunday (for a quick drink). The O'Hara's stout tap had been switched for Belfast Blonde (which was lovely), but they also had posters up around the place for a promotion of Curim for €4. Why, did I miss something?
    I thought they had Dungarvan beers on cask, maybe that was temporary. BrewDog 5am Saint went on tap yesterday.

In the fridge there should be the Whitewater, Porterhouse, Hilden, Carlow and Dungarvan bottles. Was there not?

BrewDog 5am Saint went on tap yesterday.
    In the fridge there should be the Whitewater, Porterhouse, Hilden, Carlow and Dungarvan bottles. Was there not?
    No way? One of my favourite beers, and I missed it <personal note - must go back soon>. We were just stopping by after a hike over Bray Head, so were looking for a thirst quencher, and the Belfast Blonde fit the bill perfectly.

I did a quick scan of the tap-heads, as I'd had a O'Hara's there previously, and only saw the usuals, plus the Belfast Blonde. A quick glance in the fridge, didn't reveal anything, of quality. It's a pity they don't have a beer list, or advertise in some way. Next time, I'll be more pro-active and just ask the barman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I thought they had Dungarvan beers on cask, maybe that was temporary. BrewDog 5am Saint went on tap yesterday.

Is the Brewdog on tap in a few places?

Yesterday they were claiming Holland's was the first in the country. FourCorners are the people to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This situation really beggars belief, it has come up in other threads, this illogical "it won't sell" mentality publicans have. But when you have publicans with attached offies with a huge selection and then the bog standard fare in the bar then it's just plain nonsense.

I have said before some publicans treat getting in a 6 pack of craft beers into their pub as though its some crazy risky investment, like getting in sky sports & plasmas, or a beer garden revamp which would cost 20,000. Its a 6 pack FFS, if it doesn't sell drink it yourself, or resell it in your attached offie.

Imagine going into mc donalds,
    -"big mac, twisty fries and a strawberry milkshake please"
    -"is that for here or takeaway"
    -"here please"
    -"sorry, eating here you can only select from standard burger, medium fries and medium coke"
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Thats spot on Rubadub
    My local's old manager was talking to me one night about getting in some Weiss beer and a few other us types.
    All he wanted was a few free samples first!!
    He was left with just about his dignity.
    to look at it from the other side.
    But theres also people who dont ask for these beers or the ones who ask and you never see them again. A lot of publicans wouldnt know great beers there brainwashed by the big guys so there scared of trying to expand the range. the best thing to do if your talking to a publican is explain its a huge market thats not being exploited to its fullest in the average pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Here's an example.

Salesman: I would like to you try product X on draught and if you have a free line lets give it a go.
    Publican: Sure, I wont lose money by trying so lets roll with it

1 week into new product on tap

Heineken: I will give you 5 free kegs to get rid of that product
    Publican: ***hmmm profit***, sure get rid of it and put in another heineken line.

:(

Happens all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Berty wrote: »
    Here's an example.

Salesman: I would like to you try product X on draught and if you have a free line lets give it a go.
    Publican: Sure, I wont lose money by trying so lets roll with it

1 week into new product on tap

Heineken: I will give you 5 free kegs to get rid of that product
    Publican: ***hmmm profit***, sure get rid of it and put in another heineken line.

:(

Happens all over the country.

Diageo are the worst (obviously) for this kind of stuff. Every year for the Spraoi festival in Waterford, the pubs/clubs in the company I worked for had to cover their non-Diageo (excpet Bulmers) products with Guinness branded covers. Heineken was our number one selling draught beer so you can imagine the trouble that caused. All so that the owner got a nice pay-off. Jokes on him though - all the pubs went into receivership and he lost everything.

Adyx wrote: »
    Diageo are the worst (obviously) for this kind of stuff.
    That's certainly not what Ive heard. It's an understandable practice when a company has paid to sponsor a specific event, but totally different when it's just general company policy to be ruthless, as I hear Heineken are.

Diageo are extremely aggressive in the off trade though, heineken don't seem to pushed about it. We have two or three visits a week from diageo. I only see the heineken rep once six weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

That's certainly not what Ive heard. It's an understandable practice when a company has paid to sponsor a specific event, but totally different when it's just general company policy to be ruthless, as I hear Heineken are.

But they weren't sponsoring anything, at least nothing to do with us. We had no part in the festival.

We had no part in the festival.
    Were you far from where the festival was happening? If festival goers are likely to be in your pub, then you're part of the festival. And hey: the owner could always have said "no", right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Diageo are the worst (obviously) for this kind of stuff. Every year for the Spraoi festival in Waterford, the pubs/clubs in the company I worked for had to cover their non-Diageo (excpet Bulmers) products with Guinness branded covers. Heineken was our number one selling draught beer so you can imagine the trouble that caused. All so that the owner got a nice pay-off. Jokes on him though - all the pubs went into receivership and he lost everything.

It's standerd practice for events where drink companies are sponsers. I would also doubt that the publican got a payoff as you call it. The sponsers bring people to your locality and you make money. The trade off is that you only sell their products.

• Advertisement
Advertisement