Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Bahrain GP go ahead?

Options
  • 02-06-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Here's the latest on the Bahrain GP: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13608826.stm

This is the official line:
    BBC News wrote:
    "Things have calmed down tremendously in Bahrain. Life is back to normal. We are happy to have the race anytime really," added Alzayani.

But there is a lot of very suspect goings-on in Bahrain with regard to the democracy protests there. See this letter to the Irish Times today:
    Madam, – The College of Psychiatry of Ireland would like to express its grave concern in relation to the arrests and detention of doctors, nurses and medics in Bahrain. It currently appears that their only alleged crime is providing medical care to the wounded and injured in recent civil disturbances. The government of Bahrain should arrange their immediate release and allow them to return to their families and their previous humanitarian work.

When an event such as the detention of doctors, nurses and medics occurs, grave concern also arises in relation to the treatment of other civilian detainees. – Yours, etc,

Dr JOHN TOBIN,
    Human Rights, Ethics LawCommittee,
    College of Psychiatry of Ireland,
    Herbert Street,
    Dublin 2.

So doctors are being detained in Bahrain because they treated the non-government-approved injured. Surely one basic tenet of civilisation is that doctors are allowed to get on with their business irrespective of who they're treating.?
    In the light of what's going on, should Ecclestone not be saying "thanks but no thanks" to the lads in Bahrain, or indeed using his power over them to raise the issue in the letter above?

Or is he just a greedy money man who doesn't care about principles or human rights as long as he can make a profit?

Assuming he's the latter, should some of the drivers, commentators, sponsors, etc. take a stand and refuse to participate in the Bahrain GP if it goes ahead?

And those of us who love F1, but are uncomfortable with the way Ecclestone cozies-up to these nasty regimes, what can we do about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

It certainly should not go ahead.
    What to do about it?
    Boycott F1 and its sponsors.

Red Bull for a start
    Avaaz are doing a campaign about it.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/no_f1_in_brutal_bahrain/?slideshow

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

no, ****e track, ****e races, bring back somewhere good instead: france, Imola, Austria, hell even run Brazil twice, it's just that good

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Yeah they were even cancelling India for Bahrain instead. How shocking would that be?

Also why are they targeting red bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Mark Webber on twitter 3 hours ago.
    When people in a country are being hurt, the issues are bigger than sport. Let's hope the right decision is made..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I would love more races every season but not in a country where there is so much unrest and Webber was right it the issues are more than sport.

Is Mondello free ;)

• Advertisement

SD7792 wrote: »
    Yeah they were even cancelling India for Bahrain instead. How shocking would that be?

Also why are they targeting red bull?

Red Bull are probably the most image conscious of the sponsors.

"Red Bull has built a reputation as a sporty, fun drink -- but by this Friday, it and other leading F1 teams may become better known for endorsing government torture and murder. Formula One has 24 hours to decide whether to hold its already-delayed race in Bahrain, site of one of the most brutal crackdowns in the Middle East.

If Red Bull refuses to race in Bahrain, other teams will pull back as well -- and the Formula One race could be taken off the schedule, sending shock waves through Bahrain's brutal government and sending an unmistakeable message that the world will not ignore state brutality. Sports boycotts have piled pressure on other regimes such as apartheid South Africa -- we can do it again.

Red Bull will only act if enough of us join together to make clear that its brand, its very reputation, is on the line. Let's raise a cry that Bahrain's government thugs can't silence, and call on Red Bull to pull out of the Formula One race slated for Bahrain. If 300,000 of us sign the petition, Avaaz will run hard-hitting adverts carrying our messages to Red Bull executives. Just one day remains -- sign now
    ."

When people in a country are being hurt

so, that's every country in the world then :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

SD7792 wrote: »
    If that's true one wonders how ready India are.
    20Cent wrote: »
    Sports boycotts have piled pressure on other regimes such as apartheid South Africa -- we can do it again.
    Took a while for F1 to follow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

so, that's every country in the world then :rolleyes:

In fairness this is a lot more serious than that. People were shot dead and mown down by security services who are not even from Bahrain because the government doesnt trust them. The democracy there is in no way fair. 80% of the population is Shia but they end up with a tiny percentage of seats and terrible living conditions in a rich country.

Who cares wether its a brilliant, good or terrible track. I say no to a GP there. There was Formula 1 in South Africa during the height of apartheid - this would be making the same mistake twice.

In fairness this is a lot more serious than that. People were shot dead and mown down by security services who are not even from Bahrain because the government doesnt trust them. The democracy there is in no way fair. 80% of the population is Shia but they end up with a tiny percentage of seats and terrible living conditions in a rich country.

Who cares wether its a brilliant, good or terrible track. I say no to a GP there. There was Formula 1 in South Africa during the height of apartheid - this would be making the same mistake twice.

so what about China then, with it's daily human rights abuses?

• Advertisement

so what about China then, with it's daily human rights abuses?

Shouldn't go there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

On Sky News Breaking News ticker-tape running at the bottom of the screen at the moment says:

"Bahrain Government Official says Bahain F1 Grand Prix will go ahead"

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I also think that any talk of human rights should be knocked on the head. Then again, I also get confused as to whether the barbed wire around the Anmesty candle is protecting or repressing it.

It's mental to run that late into the year, as Ross Brawn pointed out, without a dedicated test team, the same crew have been on the go since March.

On the other hand, as I write this, I am very sad. The Bahraini government has been overthrown and replaced by the benevolent general Krull. All hail Krull and his glorious new regime!

Sincerely,
    Boards Poster

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Lets just have another race in Monaco, should be nice and wet by then. Championship decider in the wet at monaco on christmas day...with drs in the tunnel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91955

India moved to December which I don't like at all, won't be able to enjoy it at that time of year. One also wonders if India were only too happy to take the extra time. :pac:

so not to finish in Brazil again, gay:mad:

I actually dont see why Human rights should be knocked on its head with all due respects to the moderator. Its a very important subject and this isnt like the soccer forum where we start insulting each other. I reckon the motor sports federation are hoping that the whole thing will have sorted itself out by then.

Human Rights have nothing to do with F1 racing, money is the only consideration. If they think they'll make money out of running the race they will, otherwise they'll skip it.

Human Rights have nothing to do with F1 racing, money is the only consideration. If they think they'll make money out of running the race they will, otherwise they'll skip it.

Oh, I agree thats all Bernie Ecclestone thinks about - money. I am a huge fan of F1 but in many ways its a terrible activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,069 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

20 races cool :D

So yeah it's kind of surprising they decided to go ahead with it. In some ways maybe it will force the teams to come and say they're not going.

I'd say there's still a chance it mightn't happen but the FIA probably don't want to be the ones calling it off.

Will be interesting to see what sort of negative press it generates for F1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

shouldn't go ahead

regarding the 2012 calendar 21 races is way to much should be max of 18 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Great to see the council really don't give a damn about the teams that provide the entertainment, nor the poor staff who've been working almost all year round - it really is all about the money, no matter how much Bernie denies the fact :mad:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/02/formula-one-bahrain-grand-prix

And 21 races next year? How long before its 26, nice round number, then we have one every second weekend! :rolleyes:

From the Guardian: "The campaigning organisation Avaaz has also called for the teams to boycott the race, repeating reports that a quarter of the Sakhir circuit's staff were arrested, suspended or dismissed during the unrest."

The teams come back to Bahrain and the person you were always dealing with has been sacked for wanting democracy. Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

It's not the best thing for F1 to do. I guess it's all to do about money. Bernie made F1 to what it is today, but for a man who says he doesn't care about money (easy to say when you have more than enough) He asks a lot from the circuits. If the race is cancelled it will cost bernie money is my gut feeling. As said before there have been races is South africa in the time of "i ain't gonna play sun city", remember the song. If the teams pull out, they might get a fine as well. Wouldn't suprise me.
    The organisers will do everything to make it look like all is well, but we all know better.
    For me they better have called it off.
    Also if you think of the work the teams have to do. 12 weeks between the last race this year and the first next year, with 21 races. They better start with the 2013 cars soon, there will be no time for it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

No Way should Bahrain go ahead.

A large number of Medical staff from Hospitals have been imprisoned, for treating wounded from the uprising. What should they have just let ppl die.?

Also they have bulldozed the Pearl Monument, so they are trying to remove the public uprising from the worlds memory.

It really is about Bernie's 60 Million fee that he will get yearly, and no collective will for democracy will stop him getting his money.

If the teams have to go, they should not run with liveries, will be very disappointed especially If Red Bull acts as if nothing had happened in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think the teams should go so they don't breach their contracts - we support the teams and they have to fulfill theit contract.
    However they should turn the whole event into a farce like not putting enough fuel in qualifying so every car fails to complete a flying lap then do a Indy 2005 on the race except every team does the right thing.

It would be far more exciting than the race, Bahraini's with red faces, let them pay Bernie $40 million for a farce.

Top Dog wrote: »
    And 21 races next year? How long before its 26, nice round number, then we have one every second weekend! :rolleyes:

Yes please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

No way this should go ahead.
    Disgusted they've decided its officially back on.
    I really hope some team or other has the stones to say no and start the ball rolling for others to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Agree with all, definitely shouldn't go ahead.

I really have to wonder how well the smaller teams will cope with the shorter prep time for 2012 if it happens and India is pushed back. Eleven days into December is surely the latest ending to an f1 season ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,069 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Agree with all, definitely shouldn't go ahead.

I really have to wonder how well the smaller teams will cope with the shorter prep time for 2012 if it happens and India is pushed back. Eleven days into December is surely the latest ending to an f1 season ever.

1962 last race was Dec 29th,
    http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_Formula_One_season

I guess we did have late start to this season

Advertisement