Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to london, arriving late, leaving early..

Options
  • 02-06-2011 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

So I fly to stansted on the 18th, arrive in stansted at 11.15pm. need to get into london, I believe the train still runs that late, however, when I get to liverpool st, what are my options then? The tube will be shut? buses run through the night? are they safe at night? Im either going to be staying near brick lane, or in clapham, or willesden Green, whoever overs me a floor first!
    likewise, I fly out from stansted on monday at 8.20am, how early does transport start, for me to make my flight?

anyone got advise or help? on a tight budget, so trying to figure out costs but its all a bit daunting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Buses will be running throughout the night & are safe in my experience. Take a look at tfl.gov.uk, especially the route planner for buses from Liverpool St to your destination. If you're staying in Willesden Green the National Express coach (A6) from Stansted may be a better option - check the stops before Finchley Rd & the relevant night buses from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I got easy bus to Luton airport one night over Xmas from Victoria bus station. I know it does stansted also. Cheap, safe and reccommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Stay in brick lane if you can. Ten minutes walk from Liverpool street.

I've done the trip from Clapham junction to stanstead many times for flights as early as 6.30. The 344 bus runs through the night and is about half an hour / 40 minute trip if there is no traffic. You just have to time it with the stanstead express schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

thanks very much for the tips so far, now, whats the best travel payment option to buy? I may still have an oyster card lying around upstairs somewhere, but if I dont find it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

zuroph wrote: »
    thanks very much for the tips so far, now, whats the best travel payment option to buy? I may still have an oyster card lying around upstairs somewhere, but if I dont find it?

Honestly, if you can't find your old Oyster card I'd probably buy another one... It's a fiver, which you can claim back if you return the card before you leave, but even if you don't it's still worth it for the amount of money you save. It works out the cheapest option for you, so once you go above the cost of a one-day travelcard it will stop charging you. It's more convenient than paper tickets, as it is slightly quicker to go through the barriers and it won't get scrunched in your pocket (They also currently have a picture of William and Kate on them... This may be a pro or a con, depending on your viewpoint :D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement