Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work relationships got too personal!

Options
  • 01-06-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

my current boss used to have the same job title as me before she got the managers job and we used to be great friends!!! my performance in ONE aspect of my job is dipping, and im finding it hard to bring my targets back up, but everything else is perfect!
    my boss told me the other day "as a friend" who "doesnt want me to lose my job" (her words) that the big execs up top are watching my performance and told me to just try a bit harder or else they'll bring me in for disciplinary, and that im not meant to know and she'd be in big trouble if they found out she told me!
    (after 6 years in my job, being very tired of it, a little crappy retail job) i STUPIDLY (I KNOW!!:() told her that i was actually looking for a new one anyway! i said to her "i trust you enough not to say it to anyone" and she was like "oh of course, id never do that".... a week later, one of the other girls told me that she over heard the conversation my boss had with the big boss, and she said she was told to tell me that they were watching me, to try "motivate me in to doing better"!!!
    okay, i got over it, she lied to me, i was really hurt by it but whatever, i let it go, kept my mouth shut! but then today, i find out that she told HER boss that i was looking for a new job, and her boss is telling the execs and even other managers!!! i feel SO stupid for telling her, but i genuinely thought she was saying it to me as her friend, as we get on really well, and always have!!!totally betrayed my trust, i know the company is trying to push out old staff, and hire new fresh people and this gives them the perfect excuse to get rid of me! they already stopped giving me a certain day off a week, where i did volunteer work, and they chose to hire a college student who conveniently couldnt work the day i needed off because she had a class (not her fault)!!! and i know that the execs are watching my boss too cos her managing performance isnt exactly pulling in targets! Why would she do this to me??? what should i do?? just leave it??? what are your thoughts on this??? can they technically get rid of me just cos i expressed interest in finding a new job???

(and before you all say it :), i KNOW now I should of said nothing about finding a new job!!! i well and truly learnt my lesson!!!!)

thanks for reading :)

P.s, just a little note, my boss and her boss (team leader for all our stores) are really "good friends" and knew eachother before they started working together....and my boss has bitched and bitched (both professionally and personally to not only me, but other staff members too) about her boss (who is a wagon anyway) since she started with our company, and as recently as last week!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Please break up that wall of text into paragraphs. It gave me a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭poozers

thanks for your advice :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tbh I think you've been a little foolish in blurring the lines between friendship and someone who is now your manager, and have failed to recognise the change in your relationship.

Essentially you've stuck your foot in your mouth and been caught.

Learn the lesson, and move on.

I do think your behaviour was at best naive and at worst stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

Would not worry about it, just don’t say it again. Ever.

If I had taken it seriously each time and employee said or a supervisor told me ; I’m / He / She is going to look for a new job, I would never get any work done.

A Good supervisor or Manager should know when someone means it or says it as reaction.

Try to reach the targets, if the targets come up again in conversation just say that you’re doing your best but you would appreciate any advice or support they can offer you to reach the target.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It looks to me like your boss is on a bit of a power trip in her new position.What she done was totally wrong.Also her telling you to work harder because you are being watched by other bosses must have panicked you a bit which was bad form.
    Whats to be is to be and as long as you do an honest days work,you cant do any more.I dont see on what basis they can let you go.
    All the best.

P.S The wheel will turn on her to.It always does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

It looks to me like your boss is on a bit of a power trip in her new position.What she done was totally wrong.Also her telling you to work harder because you are being watched by other bosses must have panicked you a bit which was bad form.
    Whats to be is to be and as long as you do an honest days work,you cant do any more.I dont see on what basis they can let you go.
    All the best.

P.S The wheel will turn on her to.It always does.

I agree with everything this poster is saying OP. I couldn't have phrased it better myself. (Well actually, I could have phrased it a lot better, the syntax and punctuation are awful, but the core ideas are spot on).

I also wouldn't be afraid to say to your "friend" that you'd heard that she'd reported back to the bosses that you were looking for work and that you think it's two-faced. Just say it calmly and leave it at that.

Advertisement