Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happiness is an airport called Schipol...

Options
  • 01-06-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭

On a recent trip to the Netherlands I was very happy to find that Schipol airport has not one, but two indoor smoking areas once you pass passport control for an outward flight.

Compare and contrast with tetchy old Ireland, where US troops can't even have a ciggie when resting over airside at Shannon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Zürich Airport is the same. Absolutely great if you're a smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe the law has changed since but i was in Munich airport a few years ago and you can have a smoke just before you go down the walkway to board the plane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Tallin Estonia have a lovely air con smoking area in Depatures. AND a Tv with "you've been framed" kind of stuff on.
    Brilliant Airport.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

On a recent trip to the Netherlands I was very happy to find that Schipol airport has not one, but two indoor smoking areas once you pass passport control for an outward flight.

Compare and contrast with tetchy old Ireland, where US troops can't even have a ciggie when resting over airside at Shannon.

Shannon DO have a smoking area after security!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Lanzarote airport have great smoking areas after passport control. It's a pity Cork won't even bother to put one in. Shame on them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

chucken1 wrote: »
    Shannon DO have a smoking area after security!

None once you go past US clearance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Demosthenes

Airport in dusseldorf has a few of them, swanky looking glass boxes every 100 metres with benches and large plasma screens....would love to see the likes of it in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

There's one in Hamburg airport. Approx the size of a tin can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Does Dublin Airport have anywhere you can smoke? Just curious as I'm heading away on Monday and might fancy a smoke before the flight.

In Terminal 1 there is a smoking area in the beer garden across from Burger King. Go up the escalator opposite Boots & you'll find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Frankfurt has those glass booths aswel. Pretty handy when you have long layover, although it feels weird being in one and watching people go by, its like being on display in some sort of weird box.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

scooby2791 wrote: »
    Pretty handy when you have long layover
    Though you should be glad you weren't on one yesterday when this was taken.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Birmingham had those super suction table things last time I was there about 7 years ago.

Cough-tastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Las palmas has a great one 2,

The one in dublin airport is upstairs at the back of a bar(forget the name)in terminal 1,The only problem is if it rains its not the best.

The ever-sensible Swiss have now put a Smoking lounge in the Baggage Hall so you can have a fag while waiting for your bags.

They've also opened up a Duty Free shop there too. So, if you forgot to buy cheap smokes/booze/whatever at your point of departure - you can now get them before you clear customs at arrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ererer

robin hood airport has one but it is long and narrow and surrounded by metal bars. I feel like I'm in a chain gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Image1286small.jpg

Frankfurt:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Airports in Ukraine allow smoking, don't know if it's true of thier EU neighbours though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Image1286small.jpg

smoker here but there is no way i'd be able to stick this. rather wait for the bit of fresh air while having a smoke. don't enjoy smoking indoors at all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

syngindub wrote: »
    smoker here but there is no way i'd be able to stick this. rather wait for the bit of fresh air while having a smoke. don't enjoy smoking indoors at all
    I am gonna be hammered for this but do you know how funny that sounds?

(I know what you mean)
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Dunno, you've done a 3hour flight, +45 minutes on the plane before your flight took off. Now facing a potential 30 minutes to pick up your bags + passport control.
    These machines suddenly look quite inviting, and they are at least partially ventillated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Dunno, you've done a 3hour flight, +45 minutes on the plane before your flight took off. Now facing a potential 30 minutes to pick up your bags + passport control.
    These machines suddenly look quite inviting, and they are at least partially ventillated.
    put me in that scenario and i'd be tempted alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Image1286small.jpg

Remember seeing one of these inside a pub in Vienna Airport, strangest thing I've ever seen, I mean it was in the middle of the pub. Looked like the people inside were on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Those booths are ventilated with the exhaled smoke being sucked out and 'fresh air' being pumped back in. Doesn't feel like your smoking inside at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just gonna add to this thread Fuerteventura Airport. Came through there last night returning to Dublin and was delighted to find not 1 but 2 smoking terraces after security. They are located on the same level as shopping and food & beverage and have loads of tables and chairs so you can bring a beer/coke/food out with you. It was like heaven being able to chill out with a few smokes before the flight rather than chain smoking 3 or 4 before checking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It's odd how conditioned one becomes, I find it surreal whenever I'm abroad after a long stint in Ireland and finding someone smoking indoors. The ashtray on the table seems as natural as a top-hat on a toe.

Advertisement