Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Scan

Options
  • 01-06-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi Ladies,

After a horrible 18 months we are finally going in for our big scan tmrw (21 weeks), still can't believe we have made it this far despite the growing belly :D
    Cant wait to find out what we are having (thats if they can tell us) but once its healthy i suppose it doesnt really matter.
    Anyway im just so excited i could burst, any of you ladies due in this wk for your scans??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Hey alde, I'm not getting the big scan for another 3 weeks - I'll be 19 weeks then and it will be our first scan, so a wee bit of trepidation, hoping that everything will be okay. We won't be finding out the sex though, we didn't on our first (a boy) so I think we'll leave it this time too. I really don't mind whether it's a girl or another boy. It's kind of awful that I'm not as excited about the whole thing this time - I mean we are completely thrilled to be pregnant (and still pregnant) but guess there's a little bit of been there, done that about it, especially as I'm sick as a dog this time whereas last time out I sailed through feeling better than I ever had. I think not having had a scan yet means the whole thing is a bit abstract. I haven't much of a bump this time (from all the puking!), just the leftover bump from last time! I have been feeling movement for the past 2 weeks though and that is definitely perking me up a bit - with the scan in 3 weeks time it should all become more real.

Glad it's going well for you, enjoy the scan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Awh so exciting! Enjoy the scan Alde!!
    I'm in for an appointment tomorrow, but not sure whether I'll be lucky enough to get a quickie scan or not (fingers crossed though!)
    I had my big scan when I was 21 weeks too and it was amazing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

I have my big scan Tuesday week the 14th! We can't wait, so excited, this is our first. We are really nervous too though, just hope it goes ok. I 'think' I have been feeling movement the last week or two, it feels like bubbles or something in my tummy, not sure if it is babs moving or just my guts moving he he.... my husband has yet to feel anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Best of luck! hope it goes well and bubba gives you a big wave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

Hi there - congratulations!
    I'm going in for the big scan this week too. Excited, but pretty nervous too. Haven't felt much movement either, and I wasn't really sick either so it doesn't feel real at all. I probably will find out the gender, if possible!

Has anyone else been in for a scan, asked the gender and they can't tell you? Like if the baby's not cooperating will they just send you on your way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

bobobear wrote: »
    Has anyone else been in for a scan, asked the gender and they can't tell you? Like if the baby's not cooperating will they just send you on your way?

My sister wanted to find out but couldn't, because the baby had her legs crossed and then she was too far gone by the next scan for them to be able tell (baby was bigger and more squashed into position). If they can't see, there's not a lot they can do about it - they get you to change position and drink cold water to make baby move, but it's not always successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I have my big scan next Thursday when I'll be 21 + 2. Can't wait, so excited. Not going to find out what I'm having, but my other half wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

Well ladies had the big scan today and its a girl. All looked well on the scan, our little girls head was buried deep in my pelvis so i need to go back in two weeks to repeat the scan apart from that all was well. They sent me off for lucozade chocolate and a sandwich to try and get her to move but she is way too comfortable down there and refused to move (a bit stubborn already) ;)

Bobobear, my friend was in last wk for her scan and she wanted to know the sex of the baby, the baby had its legs crossed so they could not see what the gender was and that was that so i guess she will go for a 3d scan now cause she really wants to know.

Good luck to all of you ladies who are having their scans in the coming days/weeks xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

alde wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

After a horrible 18 months we are finally going in for our big scan tmrw (21 weeks), still can't believe we have made it this far despite the growing belly :D
    Cant wait to find out what we are having (thats if they can tell us) but once its healthy i suppose it doesnt really matter.
    Anyway im just so excited i could burst, any of you ladies due in this wk for your scans??
    Are you on xtc by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

bobobear wrote: »

Yes. We asked and baby was all scrunched up so she couldn't see. She said she could make a guess but couldn't be certain. She gave us loads of time tried to get it to shift, but nothing lol. I had another scan at 32 weeks and asked then, but baby was too big and scrunched up so she couldn't even see lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

digme wrote: »
    Are you on xtc by any chance?

Can you tell the rest of us what that is please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah was wondering that myself. Presuming its not ecstasy, although that's how it reads..

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Sorry for hijacking the thread ladies.. I am a public patient and am 26weeks pregnant
    I had a scan at 16 weeks. That was the only time that I saw the consultant.. next appt with him is at 29 weeks.
    Am curious if i will get another scan then, or if the first one was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

I had a scan at 13 weeks and apparently my next scan is around the 32 week mark.
    I am attending the cumh. they do not normally give 20 week scans... to me this seems like a very long time between scans.

I have my next cumh appointment in june. I will be about 22 weeks so am asking when my next scan will be then....

I am getting a private anomally scan previous to this appointment to put my mind at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I went for one of those private anomoly scans too, at about 22weeks.
    Might book a 3D one if i dont get another scan at my next consultant appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

I think in a "normal" pregnancy you are only offered the one scan at 20 weeks in holles street. When you go for your first appointment they usually would do a mini scan but the 20 week is the detailed scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

i'm 20 weeks tomorrow and getting my big scan on the 15 of this month i'll be 21 weeks. What does the big scan entail will we hear our sons heartbeat for the first time we are dying to hear it. we just cant wait for the big scan its so exciting! :D our first baby :D xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

The scan consisits of you laying down, the techician will rub some gel on the bump & move a small handheld scanner over the baby. The scanner projects images of the baby on a computer screen, which the technician then uses to measure the baby's organs, head, neck, etc to ensure all's well. Despite common anticipation, the scan is not to discover the baby's sex (altough this can sometimes be done). The techician may ask you if you want to know, or you can ask after everything else is done, but the most important (and the biggest reason for having a scan) is to ensure healthy progression of baby & placenta.

The scan can also give a better estimation of due date, but the later in the pregnancy the scan is done (i.e.: after 20 weeks) the less accurate this dating system is.

You won't hear the heartbeat but you will be able to see it...the most amazing thing ever (until holding your babe in your arms anyway). Depending on your own consultant & GP, they may do a quick heartbeat listen with a little microphone-type thingy, but that seems to be done infrequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Can you tell the rest of us what that is please?
    she makles it sound like the whole world is a part of her scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

digme wrote: »
    she makles it sound like the whole world is a part of her scan.

I think you got lost around Parenting somewhere. After Hours is thataway ---->

If you don't care then don't read the thread, considering the thread title it's pretty obvious somebody is likely to be excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

Thanks for the advice everyone! Went in for the big scan in Holles st the other day. It was great, a much better experience than I was expecting. I was nervous as hell beforehand thinking of all the things that might be wrong. Thankfully, everything looks good!

I had expected a wait of about two hours but we were called in after about forty minutes.

The midwife/sonographer was really nice and didn't rush through it at all. She talked all the way through, pointing out the face, nose, mouth, heart, fingers, everything. She too measurements of the brain, the chest and the thigh bone.

She was very nice and helpful and asked a few times if we had any questions. We ere a bit too shellshocked to ask anything though.

Towards the end she asked if we wanted to know what it is and we said yes, and it's a GIRL! YAY! She said that even though it's never 100%, she wouldn't say unless she was pretty sure.

It really did make it all seem a lot more real.

Now to go buy pink things!

Advertisement