Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom isnt water proof

Options
  • 01-06-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

Now your first thought, this guy just gave his router a bath...nope im not that thick!

But it is as silly really. Eircom Broadband constantly cut out, so I rang customer care. I explained to the guy the usual and he brought me through nothing new in settings that I hadn't experimented with myself...then, and this is the good bit...he asked me what the weather was like...i said raining.

"Ah yeah sorry, when it rains the connection has a tendancy to go down. Sorry about that. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

Please tell me someone else has had this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

eldwaro wrote: »
    Now your first thought, this guy just gave his router a bath...nope im not that thick!

But it is as silly really. Eircom Broadband constantly cut out, so I rang customer care. I explained to the guy the usual and he brought me through nothing new in settings that I hadn't experimented with myself...then, and this is the good bit...he asked me what the weather was like...i said raining.

"Ah yeah sorry, when it rains the connection has a tendancy to go down. Sorry about that. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

If your broadband provider is relying on a wireless/sat connection at some point between your modem and their wired network then this could be used as an excuse, as could windy weather........ it would obviously effect the connection quality and if the connection was line of sight dependent something could be crossing the line of sight on a bad day.
    I dont know whether Eircom offer either so it may have just been the techie having a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Or maybe more people stay in using internet when its raining :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It's hardly news that any company with underground infrastructure especially an aging one could be affected by rain however given that there hasnt been a whole lot lately I would suggest that you would be far better off checking your line stats and particularly your snr if you are getting constant drop outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

eldwaro wrote: »

I assume you're connecting to Eircom broadband through a phoneline and router? If so, that was an extremely unprofessional response and you should register a complaint with eircom about it.

But first I want to give eircom a chance, is it DSL or some sort of satellite or outside aerial connection?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If it's a DSL line, that response is just not good enough nor is it professional.

That kind of problem would only effect satellite broadband.

If it's effecting your wired DSL then there's something uncovered / seeping water along the route and an engineer needs to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If DSL goes down due to weather conditions then thats considered a line fault and needs to be investigated by Eircom, however I'd imagine the agent you spoke to just wanted a easy way off the call and used that as an excuse rather then it actually being the issue.

Might I suggest the Talk to Eircom forum : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1293

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP if you'd like your thread moved to the eircom forum so they can deal with it directly simply use the report post option on this thread and either myself or another mod will move the thread for you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There are places where the phone lines are so old that BB goes down when it rains, Montenotti and Tivoli in Cork and Monkstown in Dublin come to mind....some of the lines are so old they have no plastic covering coz there was no plastic back then.

If you live in one of those places then fair play to the eircom guy for knowing his network :)

Those old areas are long since rewired, thankfully!

Otherwise everyone there would be on upc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement