Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am entitled to claim the dole since college is over till september?

Options
  • 01-06-2011 7:03pm

or am i not? and how much is the dole for a student per week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Of course you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

lol. sure claim it anyway op, no one will say anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You could decide to drop out then decide to come back in september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Nope - you're a full time student, thus not available for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

actually yes you can believeit or not , My sis just finsihed college 2 weeks ago, she getting 109eur a week ..............its a ****ingjoke ,
    considering my bro (unemployed for a year now (painter had been working for 12years) , has had his entitlements cut to just 70 a week now ) , he and his wife have a mortgage etc ,

the system is totally wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

You cannot draw the dole while you are still a registered full time student

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

LOL_WUT_PEAR.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingstapler

Do you not have to wait three months after you finish college? I think you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Do you not have to wait three months after you finish college? I think you do.

From what I understand, after you've finished your last exam in final year you can bring your exam timetable to the exams and records office who will provide a letter stating you are finished your course. This is apparently sufficient proof to receive state benefits

I'm not the most educated on this though so don't take it as gospel

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Only if you're a mature student afaik. It's not available to non-mature students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cakeisgood

The system is a joke, I dont think its fair that some mature students get so much help from SW whereas younger students (who are poorer) get so little help. I think the system should be inversting money in the young people who are going to be working for years. A lot of mature students get courses paid for who are near retirement age and I dont think thats right

OP, sorry am going off the point. I have heard different things on the subject, that apparently you can yet apparently you cannot. I certainly do know students who tried to claim over the Summer who were told they couldnt because they hadnt being claiming all along

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

@Cakeisgood....

Mature students arent always better off financially. A few, well maybe, most are not.

I have 6 kids and 3 are in uni/college. I am a fulltime student. My other 3 are in LC and younger. I have to pay for childcare for my 6yo..... unfortunately I cant opt in and out of this when it suits me I pay for it for the entire school year... sept-end June.

Currently I feed my family on €60pw. Try it. Feed yourself on €60 and see how hard it is to feed a family.

Oh and the best bit is, my course provides a ''professional qualification''.... not much good when the government cant provide jobs at then end...

Yes I got a better grant 3k as opposed to just over 1k, but then next Sept the govt seems to think we dont count anymore so I will get the same.... shame my childcare costs dont go down... oh and the fact I will be supporting a 4th child in education doesnt matter wither because I wont get child allowance for her either.

Everyones circumstances are different. Please try not to judge!

To the OP,
    apply, whats the worst they can do.... turn you down!!! If you get it let me know 'cos I will also apply! My 19yo (just finished a FETAC and pplying for more courses) has been told by the benefits ppl she should get dole for the summer. SHe told them she wasnt sure if she will go for another course.... she has applied!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Yes, you can apply for jobseekers allowance, but must be available for work. Go to your sw office, fill in the form and get letter from college stating when you finished for the summer. Do it as soon as you finish to avoid gap in payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cakeisgood

@Cakeisgood....

Mature students arent always better off financially. A few, well maybe, most are not.

I have 6 kids and 3 are in uni/college. I am a fulltime student. My other 3 are in LC and younger. I have to pay for childcare for my 6yo..... unfortunately I cant opt in and out of this when it suits me I pay for it for the entire school year... sept-end June.

Currently I feed my family on €60pw. Try it. Feed yourself on €60 and see how hard it is to feed a family.

Oh and the best bit is, my course provides a ''professional qualification''.... not much good when the government cant provide jobs at then end...

Yes I got a better grant 3k as opposed to just over 1k, but then next Sept the govt seems to think we dont count anymore so I will get the same.... shame my childcare costs dont go down... oh and the fact I will be supporting a 4th child in education doesnt matter wither because I wont get child allowance for her either.

Everyones circumstances are different. Please try not to judge!

To the OP,
    apply, whats the worst they can do.... turn you down!!! If you get it let me know 'cos I will also apply! My 19yo (just finished a FETAC and pplying for more courses) has been told by the benefits ppl she should get dole for the summer. SHe told them she wasnt sure if she will go for another course.... she has applied!

I know everyone circumstances are different and it certainly doesnt sound like your circumstances are easy but am just going by people I know myself. They are literally living lives of luxury paid for by SW and most of them have no intention of getting work afterwards. Again these are people I know personally

Yes, you can apply for jobseekers allowance, but must be available for work. Go to your sw office, fill in the form and get letter from college stating when you finished for the summer. Do it as soon as you finish to avoid gap in payment.

thanks for the replies guys, but i dont think i'll apply for the dole incase it ****s up my college degree ha

Advertisement