Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a wireless printer GGGRRR....

Options
  • 01-06-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

Spent hours trying to connect a Samsung CLP 310 wirelessly. I connected the printer to my router using an ethernet cable, got the IP address, connected to Syncthru and followed the instructions. My laptop recognised the printer and set it as default. Everything worked fine until I disconnect the ethernet cable. I get an message telling me that the network is unavailable. Where did I go wrong ?? This thing is driving me crazy. Can anyone help please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The problem is that you set the machine up as cabled instead of wireless. Is there any settings on the machine itself that you can connect to your wireless router? You'll need your SSID and WEP (or WPA) key to put in to it and you should be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭big man andy

chin_grin wrote: »
    The problem is that you set the machine up as cabled instead of wireless. Is there any settings on the machine itself that you can connect to your wireless router? You'll need your SSID and WEP (or WPA) key to put in to it and you should be sorted.

Sometimes Windows doesn't "find\detect" things very well, so you may need to enter the IP address @ Add Printer section.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I thought I entered all the details correctly. All the details appeared on Syncthru but it remained unconnected. I decided to give up and go back to using the printer through a usb. I uninstalled everything and then re-installed the printer and smart panel. Guess what, it doesn't work. The status remains idle, troubleshooter tells me there are documents in the queue, yet there are none listed. I have probably messed about with drivers or something ???
    Totally p1ssed off, I should have left it alone. :(

Try the Samsung website and run a Windows Update session to see if there are softwaer updates.

What OS are you running?

Try the Samsung website and run a Windows Update session to see if there are softwaer updates.

What OS are you running?

Thanks Andy,
    I'm using Windows 7. I try the updates and see what happens.

• Advertisement

No harm to make sure you have Service Pack 1 installed while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hey jos,

are you sure the wireless is switched on, on the laptop.. on the bottom right of the system (beside the digital clock, it's called the system tray) can you see the wifi icon, something like

c01891221.jpg

And when you click on this icon do you see the wifi printer..

Hi Jonathonanon,
    I downloaded the updates as Andy suggested and got it working through usb again. I've checked the wi-fi icon and the printer is not there. Just mine and the neighbour's broadband signals.

Thanks Arty,
    That looks exactly what I need, step by step instructions. I'm going out for pints tonight and my task for tomorrow is to follow that link and get the thing working for once and for all. Cheers, will keep ya'll posted.

• Advertisement

Went for pints, went on holidays, came back and I STILL can't get this printer sorted. I have followed all the instructions and still can't get it to connect wirelessly. I have no problem connecting the IP address to Syncthru. My router settings are WEP 128 with encryption. I use the wizard in wireless settings and all goes well until I disconnect the ethernet cable. The blue wireless light on the printer flashes briefly and then dies......The printer claims to have built in wireless capability but I'm fecked if I can connect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Well I hope you at least had a good holiday. Welcome back to the real World.
    One suggestion, can you connect it directly into the router via cable and just print to it then as it will now be part of the network? Is that an option?

Had a great holiday, thanks. Tried that Arty and it didn't work:(

YIPPEE it's working. I got onto my router helpline and they set up a new wireless connection, configured the printer settings on Syncthru and it worked. Blue wireless light staying on ! Happy days.

Advertisement