Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car reversed into me, help please!

Options
  • 01-06-2011 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm looking for some advice, I feel like I'm banging my head off a brick wall!! Basically at the weekend a car was reversing from a minor road onto a main road and reversed into me, my whole wing has to be replaced at a cost of €500!! Disaster. So the other driver got out we exchanged details and were in contact a bit, basically she is claiming no libability for the damage whatsover claiming that I should have seen her reverse lights. So I went to the cops, who rang her and said that they found her awkward (shes only in her early 20s, driving her parents car and I have doubts as to whether she has her full license or was even insured to drive it in the first place) so they had to make a personal call to her. I'm just so stressed out about the bloody thing cos there is so much damage done and it needs to be repaired and the cops don't appear to be very proactive in getting insurance details from her. Now I have been assured that she will be summonsed to court should she not provide the details to the cops within 10 days. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

Report it to your insurance company immediately
    Give them her name and reg
    Let them deal with it
    That's what you pay them for

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

meercat wrote: »
    Report it to your insurance company immediately
    Give them her name and reg
    Let them deal with it
    That's what you pay them for

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mr_Andy

she is totally in the wrong, it is illegal to reverse on to a road, I agree with previous post, contact your insurance company straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

mayorose wrote: »
    a car was reversing from a minor road onto a main road and reversed into me
    she is claiming no libability for the damage whatsover claiming that I should have seen her reverse lights

Don't worry too much about it as she was totally in the wrong and she hasn't a hope of denying liability and dont let her tell you otherwise

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/reversing.html
    You must not reverse from a minor road onto a major road as it is unsafe to do so.

The fact that she doesn't know the rules very well and is also reversing around a corner and going from what the guards said, she's most likely a learner. Lets hope she learns a very hard lesson. She should have been watching for you not the other way around

+1 on contacting your insurance company. Just let them deal with it, they are being paid by you so don't go doing their job for them, let them deal with the stress, they're expert at it

Sorry about your car, chin up and be grateful that you weren't hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

It sounds like you've a good case, I mean in the end you did nothing wrong. You should come out of it ok, let us know how it works out in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I'm looking for some advice, I feel like I'm banging my head off a brick wall!! Basically at the weekend a car was reversing from a minor road onto a main road and reversed into me, my whole wing has to be replaced at a cost of €500!! Disaster. So the other driver got out we exchanged details and were in contact a bit, basically she is claiming no libability for the damage whatsover claiming that I should have seen her reverse lights. So I went to the cops, who rang her and said that they found her awkward (shes only in her early 20s, driving her parents car and I have doubts as to whether she has her full license or was even insured to drive it in the first place) so they had to make a personal call to her. I'm just so stressed out about the bloody thing cos there is so much damage done and it needs to be repaired and the cops don't appear to be very proactive in getting insurance details from her. Now I have been assured that she will be summonsed to court should she not provide the details to the cops within 10 days. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Well thats a corker, becuase the reversing light is on that makes it ok to reverse into traffic.

Must remember that one myself. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Mr_Andy wrote: »
    she is totally in the wrong, it is illegal to reverse on to a road, I agree with previous post, contact your insurance company straight away.

Send her the estimate at once, and say you are going to your solicitor and the gardai should follow it up. She committed a criminal offence by backing out on to road. She has not a leg to stand on. I also hope you took number of the car, thats always important. Is she covered by Insurance if it was not her car. If not the gardai will have to prosecute her, and do keep after the garda who was dealing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

Def sounds likes she was hopign you wouldn't follow up on it, def get onto to your insurance company and let them know that the Gardai are following it up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The OP should have taken the insurance details of the other car from the disc, that's what it is for (although of course there is possibility that the driver wasn't covered!).

The reverser who reversed into her should have settled, since she was clearly in the wrong and requiring the other party to get the Gardai involved is never a good plan.

Advertisement