Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sobering Truths About Making A Career Out Of Photography

Options
  • 01-06-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

The next time someone asks about a career in photography we should point them this direction (Via Roger Overall on Twitter)

http://ht.ly/57oRC

Now that's a discussion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I love this line from the second comment...

".....I’m going to do what I love with the time I have left on this earth, and at least I can die knowing that I did what I wanted with my life instead of just bowing out….."

I made exactly the same decision 3 or 4 months after my sister died, and that was more than two years ago. I still don't regret it.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I could wish i hadnt played football as a kid, think of all that time between the ages of 10 and 21 that i spent training, and playing. All that money i spent on boots, and balls and other various gear.

I could have been at home studying, i could have been squirreling that money away into a high interest savings account, i might even have sorted enough that my mortgage wouldnt be such a burden, christ with all that extra study i would have had a fantastic job as a lawyer, or an actuary or somesuch.

So why did i do it? Did i really dream of playing for Rangers and earning 20k a week for doing something I love? Such childish thoughts, of course i did.
    If only i knew now.

What if someone had came along from the Scottish 3rd Division when i was 17 and said "Eirebear - we are offering you a contract to play full time with us. We will give you enough money to get by on, probably comparable with a bus driver, or a binman or some such other worker.

However, where the binman and the busdriver will have an almost guaranteed job for 40 years, you on the other hand will have around 15 years, provided you stay fit, and after which you will be left to your own devices to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life.

Will you sign?"

Of course i would sign, football was my passion back then, and the chance to play proffesionally would have been the holy grail.

Sure i wouldnt be able to command the wages of Wayne Rooney, in fact i would be earning a wage which was probably slightly below the average in the UK.

But i would have been doing something that i loved more than anything else.

I'm almost 30 now, and you know what? I still dream about signing that contract with some non-descript lower league club when i'm playing 5-a-sides with a bunch of fat guys from the pub.

Without ambition, without passion and without dreams - you'll get nothing done, in any career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Sure going it alone is a risky way to go but I reckon if your good and have a passion you'll have enough to get by. Also if your in a relationship with someone who has a healthy career all the better.

I listen to a lot of photography related podcasts in work and its all the same the american's go on about how hard it is and how they have to do workshops to make extra money and all that.. They travel the world to these workshops to make more money. Bull**** they already make a lot of money. Their mentality is totally different to the Irish one.. They dream of big house's and big car's and every type of insurance under the sun.

I honestly hate these kind of thread's because it really deters the people who want to make a career from photography. Who feel they have they have what it takes and don't care about the money as long as it's enough to get by. Let it deter the cowboys and aunt mary's who thinks just because she got a €400 dslr for the holidays she can now become the greatest wedding photographer in Ireland.

If you have a genuine passion for it and I know quite a few people on here do. Then go for it. It's already working out for some people. Doesn't matter what area of photography it's in cause its all really the same, the more you put in the more you get out.

Also just to say a comment that backed up my thinking about the retirement:
    I have never met a photographer who retired.

Did Avedon retire?

Did Irving Penn retire?

Has Albert Watson retired?

Has Jay Maisel retired?

Has Bill Cuningham retired?

What is this retirement crap?

Why do people retire? So than can focus on the things they can enjoy in life. Honestly.. Trolls the lot of them :p

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

dazftw wrote: »
    I honestly hate these kind of thread's because it really deters the people who want to make a career from photography.

but, but, but.......

3/3 responses thus far very much in favour of the passion. I think if it keeps going the way it is at the moment, this might be a good thread recommending photography as a career ;)

I see it as being a head/heart kinda thing - a monumental struggle of ones inner self sorta stuff (if only i knew what i meant there :o) you may [not] regret it if you do [or don't].

love the contributions so far btw, good to see passion for photography is alive and well in these parts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I read it and some of the posts and all I could think was 'I am going to do my damn best that in 10 years I still feel like this about my work'. I can't imagine not doing it, I can't imagine going back to any job I had before this because not one of them made me feel so good about what I did. So the business model is gonna change, over and over again, well I hope to God I can handle the change cos I have no intention of bowing out!

I love what he said about the facebook pictures, how many times have I mentioned that on boards haha, facebook for me is one of the ultimate advertisements and it is free, along with being nice. Walking away from my clients for them to enjoy the rest of the wedding day after laughing and joking with them knowing that not only have they enjoyed the session but so have their pals and family is better than any advertisement I could ever place.
    oshead wrote: »
    I made exactly the same decision 3 or 4 months after my sister died, and that was more than two years ago. I still don't regret it.... :)

Sorry about your sister! Sounds like she has given you the drive to succeed in what you love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Its true that a career can be made from photography but people's attitude towards photography changes when they make the move into the serious side of the career.

*if its just for fun...then its simply that .... a bit of fun, capturing images that you wanted to capture.

*if it's a career - then you have to capture images that other people want.

there is a very thin line dividing the two but once you start to earn money from your photography you evaluate your life differently.

*=based on photographers that I know and based on personal experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

PCPhoto wrote: »
    *if its just for fun...then its simply that .... a bit of fun, capturing images that you wanted to capture.

yep, this is why i'm happy keeping it as a hobby.

*=based on photographers that I know and based on personal experience.

It depends on the area but one thing I would say is when you are feeling sooo bad that all you want to do is curl up under the sofa and die, if you have a job booked in tough cookies you gotta put on the slap (for the girls) smile like a chesire cat and take those shots, unlike those working for a company who can just call in sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

It depends on the area but one thing I would say is when you are feeling sooo bad that all you want to do is curl up under the sofa and die, if you have a job booked in tough cookies you gotta put on the slap (for the girls) smile like a chesire cat and take those shots, unlike those working for a company who can just call in sick!

the joys of self-employment !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

For 80% of people making a living from photography, only 10% of their time is spent taking pictures.

Stats made up for dramatic effect, but you know what I mean. The life of an average photographer is more about patience than passion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I'm still on the fence about the whole 'passion vs desk-job' debate

I dont think it's just about the career you want, but the lifestyle as a whole

As much as I want a career in photography, you really do get back what you put in.

Some of the bigger established fashion photographers I know work lots of 12hour days for weeks on end

And as mentioned above, when you're working for someone, you have to deliver what they want, so that's something you can't really anticipate

Then there's the no steady pay issue. Its great to be all free and happy and doing what you love, but you still need to live in the real world and pay your rent/mortgage, and put food on the table.

I personally, like desk jobs. Most are sociable, steady pay and consistent hours. Gives me the time and money to do all the activities I do outside work, and I do a fair bit! I do plenty of photography outside work, and its mostly things I want to do specifically.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I don't think that this is an either/or scenario though PC. It's good when you can do point A and point B naturally follows.

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't think that this is an either/or scenario though PC. It's good when you can do point A and point B naturally follows.

Good point..... but sometimes you need to take on jobs in areas outside of what you love just to make ends meet. I mean for me, weddings, yes your point is completely true but in mid November when there is little happening on the wedding scene I am more likely to take on jobs I dont enjoy quite as much because I have to be working!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

i just want to start getting (any) photography jobs and ill be happy :D suppose one more year of college wont kill me..

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

I'd would have liked to have done something photography related as a career. I think I could have been good enough. Only problem is, now I've kids and a mortgage etc etc. In some perverse way, it would be easier if I lost my job. Otherwise, there is no way I can be that selfish now...

If you don't have those responsibilities, I say do it! The worst you'll get out of it is valuable life experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

DougL wrote: »
    I'd would have liked to have done something photography related as a career. I think I could have been good enough. Only problem is, now I've kids and a mortgage etc etc. In some perverse way, it would be easier if I lost my job. Otherwise, there is no way I can be that selfish now...
    Exactly and while in theory if you lost your job you might think that you'd have the time, and talent, to start fresh, its often not the case. Even if you are lucky enough to get a decent severance pay.

The only way that you can make it as a pro-photographer is by working hard to get your name out there. Which can only be done if you have a partner who is in a stable and well paid job. But who then is watching the kids? Even if they are at school you still have to be available to pick them up, get their homework done and bring them to where they need to be. Not to mention, since you are at home, there are a thousand jobs that need doing! :p

Then all that nice equipment that needs to be bought, the insurance, the advertisement, it all adds up. But you are now on a single income and there is a mortgage, bills, fees, shopping and hopefully savings to worry about. And try to explain to the other half why you seem to be enjoying yourself while he/she is working every god awful hour of the day to make ends meet! :(

There are people who can turn a bad situation into their dream job. But the dedication and the time that it takes is often a barrier to most people.

I know that there are a few here that have achieved it and congrats to them. Unfortunately they are the lucky ones! :D
    DougL wrote: »
    If you don't have those responsibilities, I say do it! The worst you'll get out of it is valuable life experience!
    Thumbs up!

But...after saying all that - read my next post!

I honestly hate these kind of thread's because it really deters the people who want to make a career from photography.
    Exactly. Every industry is difficult to break into. If you think the odds on being a pro-photographer are tough, try to imagine what it takes to open a new restaurant!
    If you have a genuine passion for it and I know quite a few people on here do. Then go for it. It's already working out for some people. Doesn't matter what area of photography it's in cause its all really the same, the more you put in the more you get out.
    Like anything in life, its all about setting a goal.

If you want to be a wedding photographer then stop reading thread, get out there and get the experience. Build up your portfolio and get to grips with the business side of it.

If your dream is to release a photographic book on ancient monuments in Ireland, then stop reading this thread. Do your research and get out there. Find the sites, get the photographs when the weather and light are perfect.

If your dream is to be the go-to photographer for your local newsletter, working for free, but for your local community. Then get out there, snap away at every event, and enjoy yourself - but most of all stop reading this thread! :D

"Sobering Truths" don't make for a great life story! :D

K_user wrote: »
    The only way that you can make it as a pro-photographer is by working hard to get your name out there. Which can only be done if you have a partner who is in a stable and well paid job. But who then is watching the kids? Even if they are at school you still have to be available to pick them up, get their homework done and bring them to where they need to be. Not to mention, since you are at home, there are a thousand jobs that need doing! :p

Very good points, I was like that once, just me and a baby and a mortgage and then hubbie came on the scene and bought me some equipment, on maternity leave with no. 2 I decided, right if I dont do it now I never will. Funny thing is, he was out of work last year, and it was during that time that I really got to put a push on things and make my name, I had him to rely on for the kids.
    Exactly. Every industry is difficult to break into. If you think the odds on being a pro-photographer are tough, try to imagine what it takes to open a new restaurant!

:D

You're on a roll, another good point. Last year while I was putting all my focus on my work a friend set up his own restaurant. Even now he is working all hours god sends and the stress is there but the takings are going up and word is getting around.

My point is though, if you want it, and really really want it I mean and you have what it takes to succeed, no matter what the industry, recession or no recession, you will get there, you just need the drive, the determination, the business sense, oh and a little bit of talent will come in handy:p

If photography is the dream and you think you have what it takes to make it work then grab it with both hands and try it, you ay find that it is harder then what you imagined and give in as quickly as you started or you may go on to live the dream you always wanted!

You're on a roll, another good point.
    Ah well, thats my allocation of ideas for this decade...roll on 2020! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

"Sobering Truths" don't make for a great life story!
    They may not but they can still provide valuable nuggets of information which one can incorporate into their on-going plans, should they still want to follow their ambition.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with much of what you’ve said but words of wisdom (be they positive or in this case, negative) should never be disregarded because they shatter our preconceived assumptions.

In a room of 10,000 people, where all are continuously tossing coins, there are bound to be a few individuals who happen to toss 10 heads in a row. These people may think themselves extremely lucky or that they have the gift, but in a room of 10,000 people it was going to happen to somebody; it just happened to be them that time.

I’d imagine there are more than 10,000 photographers out there so naturally there will be those who are going to be successful.

Now before anyone thinks I’m equating someone’s skill/talent to that of a mere coin toss, I’m not. My point is to demonstrate that for every successful photographer, there are probably 100 or more who will never get to the same point in their “career”, but it’s not always because they’re less motivated, hungry, talented, capable, industrious, etc. In business, there are things like timing, social interests, and market demand. All are vital components of having a successful career, but they’re often out of our hands. You can’t predict peoples’ tastes, attitudes and habits.

In saying all that, it’s nothing to get depressed over. Give it a shot and see what you learn from the experience. My advice would always be not to go for broke, where if it doesn’t work out, you’ll be left in a worse off state. I know risk is a part of all business ventures but there is no point in putting all your finances on the line in the hope that you make it big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers anybody? 10,000 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

Shock horror! Photography won't make you a millionaire!!!

STOP THE PRESSES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nikonowner

I believe that if it makes you happy you should do it.

I currently work full time in a job completely unrelated with photography. It pays the bills but for some 2-3 years now I have been yearning to take up photography as a career.

My Dad, who passed away 4 years ago this year, worked all his life in plumbing, but in his latter 10 years he took to flower arranging, and did quite a few weddings (all from word of mouth) and had won a lot of awards for his works. At a wedding I did photographs for for a friend a few weeks ago, I met with a florist who knew him and had worked with him many years ago, and she still spoke of him with great gusto, I could see the respect he had earned..... This is what I would love to have one day for my photography. I just want to make the Client happy on their day and ensure they have a fun time on one of the most stressful days in your life (believe me, married 4 years tghis year too, great day but was tough, despite being quite prepared and having wonderful family/friends).

I very much believe that if it is meant to be it is meant to be, and I will keep plugging away at my day job until I get to a point where I can take up the photography on a full time basis...

Advertisement