Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London, need phone contract

Options
  • 01-06-2011 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'll be moving to London in September for university, and I was wondering if anyone could help me on getting info on how to get a mobile phone contract there. I have an iPhone 4 so I'll be needing a micro sim. I have checked loads of network websites and would prefer to go with Orange or maybe Tesco mobile, the only problem being I can't find any info on their websites about what criteria people need to fit if they have just moved to the UK.

I asked 3 what the deal was with them and was told that you needed to be living in the UK for 3 years in order to get a contract, which I find a bit silly. The contract I want is just one of those rolling month-long contracts so that when I come home for the summer next year I can just cancel the contract without any hassle and not have to pay for 3 months usage that I don't need. I can't find any email address to send Tesco an email to ask them. There is a form you can submit questions with but you need 2 British numbers on the form just to send it. Orange's website is down for maintenance at the moment now so I can't get an email to them...

Any info greatly appreciated. :)

Jafin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Why not go pre pay . London has serious competition so things are normally cheap. I know myself i wouldnt go bill. i have a prepay card and does the job. But thoses smartphones require a lot . but yes generally you do have to be living in england for some time before your allowed to sign to bills and stuff. or have a place of residence with a utility bill. I Dont know the full story as i have this done for me many moons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Jafin

Thanks shannon_tek. Normally I would go pay as you go, as that's what I am at the moment here in Ireland, it's just that the bill pay deals look so much better as I use data on my phone quite a lot and so will need that to be part of whatever my deal is. The minutes aren't as big a deal for me as I prefer texting to talking, but I can't find anything on prepay that allows for, just as an example, 500MB of data and 300 texts for £X, whereas there are quite a lot of good deals on bill pay for data, minutes and texts.

I'll be going to my Uni open day on the 25th of June anyway so if I have time I can pop into a phone shop and see what the deal is. If worst comes to worst, I can go prepay for whatever the required amount of time is before I'm entitled to a contract.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Jafin wrote: »
    Thanks shannon_tek. Normally I would go pay as you go, as that's what I am at the moment here in Ireland, it's just that the bill pay deals look so much better as I use data on my phone quite a lot and so will need that to be part of whatever my deal is. The minutes aren't as big a deal for me as I prefer texting to talking, but I can't find anything on prepay that allows for, just as an example, 500MB of data and 300 texts for £X, whereas there are quite a lot of good deals on bill pay for data, minutes and texts.

I'll be going to my Uni open day on the 25th of June anyway so if I have time I can pop into a phone shop and see what the deal is. If worst comes to worst, I can go prepay for whatever the required amount of time is before I'm entitled to a contract.

Thanks again.

Ya do shop around. its actually amazing that a shop meters away from another can have better deals. example in my area there are 4 carfones. i went to each one of them two in the same building and one across the road from another and each one gave me a different deal for the exact same product. my aunt just thought was mad how one can charge xyz and the one opposite can give a total different deal and there the exact same shop . we even had the same shop assistant joke with us how we were stalking him ha ha. Orange do seem to have the better of the deals from what i noticed. but i stayed on O2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

My gf is using an o2 sim card and it is costing her £35 per month.

It is £15 for the calls and data plan (500mb I think), and 20 for the international favourites. That allows 3000 outbound minutes to 5 international pre-determined numbers, including mobiles (200 mins to mobile), and 3000 inbound minutes to 1 call me number in a country of your choosing (i.e. they provide, for example, an Dublin number for you that friends and family can call).

There is a 3 friends option that does not include outbound mobile phone calls for £10 and the quality is a lot better than VoIP.

International Favourites

Edit, it looks like the prices have gone up, but I would imagine if you call them and say you are going to be a new customer looking for a sim only they will drop the prices slightly as they are not providing a phone for you

http://www.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simplicity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Jafin wrote: »
    The minutes aren't as big a deal for me as I prefer texting to talking, but I can't find anything on prepay that allows for, just as an example, 500MB of data and 300 texts for £X, whereas there are quite a lot of good deals on bill pay for data, minutes and texts.

You're not looking hard enough. I am with Virgin and for £15 per month on a 30 day rolling contract I get: 500 minutes, Unlimited texts, 1GB Mobile Web.

You won't get a normal contract as (I presume you are) an 18 year old with no credit history in the UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement