Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult boss - am regretting my recent promotion and want out

Options
  • 31-05-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Really would like advice on how to approach my boss

I have been working for an IT company for about 6 years. I did really well and got promoted every
    year

Background:
    I reported into my current boss J about 5 years ago – at that time we got on well – only reported into J for a few months. However I know that other people have had issues with J, some people even found him to be a bit of a bully a few years ago

I have been promoted into a management role reporting into J who is now a senior manager. I have switched from a sales role into managing a telesales team. I am new to management.

My issue with J is that no matter what ideas I come up with J either disagrees or no matter how I decide to deal with any day to day issues that crop up – J will more or less imply I took the wrong approach. Effectively it is now undermining my confidence to such an extent that I want to leave the job. I rarely get any positive feedback – either from J or J’s boss
    I feel I have completely lost confidence and I feel I need to approach J. I must say that J is not very approachable. If I need a second opinion on anything, J either says – “we have discussed this” – I never get any good feedback at all.

How do you think I should approach this?

Advertisement