Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full-Time Creative Writing Course for September

Options
  • 31-05-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey guys. I'm looking into doing a full-time course in creative writing starting in September, but a quick search on Google was not as helpful as I had hoped. Although it needs to be a FETAC course I'm afraid. Being stupid and not caring about my future when I was young lead me to not care about my LC so I don't have the credentials to go straight to 3rd level.

I'm living in Cavan atm and writing a novel in my own time but I'm willing to move to a bigger city in order to attend the course, in fact, I hope to move from Cavan. I've just moved back from Dublin after doing one year in a Journalism course there.

Any info you can give me would be great, thanks very much :)

- Daleno

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dee42

Inchicore College of Further Education run a Fetac Level 5 creative writing course. Here's the link: http://www.inchicorecollege.ie/creative_writing_and_cultural_studies.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Daleno

Thanks for the information. It seems that is the only PLC course available for Creative Writing. I went to apply but the application section of the site is down, will probably open later in the year for second round applications. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Daleno wrote: »
    ... not caring about my future when I was young lead me to not care about my LC so I don't have the credentials to go straight to 3rd level.

I imagine you're over 23 and would qualify as a mature student. On this basis you do not need to meet the points requirements. You'd be interviewed for the course and if you can demonstrate your suitability they could offer you a place.

Mature students are very much prized by colleges/unis. Put your experience to good use. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dee42

If you want to get on this years course starting in Sept I would advise you phone the college. Colin Carters was the course director up until last year, he still may be heading it. I would imagine the interviews are already completed but if there are places left you may be able to get in as a late entrant and as smcgiff said if you are over 23 your suitability would be based on an interview. Best of luck.

Advertisement