Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate flooring problem

Options
  • 31-05-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

We put down a laminate floor in the babys room,
    it seems to have spread apart in places leaving a bit of a gap here and there.

I tried squeezing some of it tighter but to no avail.

Is there some kind of filler we could use that would fill in the gaps and not need to be sanded down?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What size gaps are we taking here, a couple mm or 10, 20 mm?. Tbh I can't see a filler helping much if the boards keep moving, there's only so much it can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

They need to be locked together when installing, and those grooves have failed. pushing them together is pointless. If its really a problem then you'll have to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

Would you consider relaying the floor? Most laminates can be taken up (carefully) and re-laid providing none of the joints are damaged.

It's easy enough to do. If some joints won't lock back together use some wood glue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Can you lay a new one on top of the defective one? Would save a lot of time and aggro.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭toshy321

Max is spot on, assuming this is a laminate floor I would say it hasn't been installed correctly the flooring more than likely wasn't clicked together correctly I would retake up the floor it should come up alright take off skirtings/moulding and start from there dont even think about filler your wasting ur time there floor should be perfect if you take it up and fit it correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Didn't we have a similar thread here quite some time ago about gaps opened at the ends of the boards? Turned out that some previously cut boards were used and the cut ends simply butted together, no tongue or groove to keep them locked together. Very shoddy.

Advertisement