Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

davis vantage vue question

Options
  • 31-05-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm hoping some of the guys with weather stations that post here can help. I was recently given a vantage vue by a wind turbine company to monitor wind speeds at my house.

I live 6km from a met eireann station and 25 km from an airport station, I'm also 40km from a weather buoy.

I've been matching the wind speeds to these stations, and I've become a little suspicious that the station is reading the speeds too high as it is constantly reading between 1.2 to 2 times the speed of the 2 land based stations and usually more than the weather buoy.

We are very exposed at our location and we may have a landscape feature that speeds up the wind.

My question is; can someone calibrate the anemometer to read the wind speed higher than it actually is??

Thanks for any input.

P.S. the weather forum rocks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

My question is; can someone calibrate the anemometer to read the wind speed higher than it actually is??

Have a Vantage Vue myself and gave a quick look at the manual to confirm that the anemometer can only be adjusted direction wise, speed is factory calibrated. I know you can use Cumulus software to multiply the wind speed depending what height you have your station at. A lot of factors can effect wind speed readings. Is the station level? How high above the ground is it? Is the mounting pole good and solid? Is it in an open area? All these factors make a difference. Its a great station though and lucky you to get it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Thank mickger, Its a very tidy station alright. the station is level at a height of 11m making it 50m asl on a solid pole and good and open. They havn't given me any software yet so I've just been taking average hourly readings from the console.

According to the difference in readings between my console and local stations, the average mean wind speed appears to be somewhere between 8.5 and 10 m/s!! surely that be correct?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Thank mickger, Its a very tidy station alright. the station is level at a height of 11m making it 50m asl on a solid pole and good and open. They havn't given me any software yet so I've just been taking average hourly readings from the console.

According to the difference in readings between my console and local stations, the average mean wind speed appears to be somewhere between 8.5 and 10 m/s!! surely that be correct?

8.5 and 10 m/s ????? Did you mean MPH ?

8.5 and 10 m/s ????? Did you mean MPH ?

Ha Ha. No. metres per sec.!

Ha Ha. No. metres per sec.!

8.5 to 10 Metres per sec :eek: Didn't think the Vue could read that fast :D

• Advertisement

I think the vue can read up to 150kmph which is over 40m/sec

I think the vue can read up to 150kmph which is over 40m/sec

Never knew the Vue measured in m/s to be honest so thats an education for me :o Seems very strange that its reading so much higher than stations close to you. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

How does one read the mean speed from the console?

Regarding software, I presume the datalogger is needed and it's an expensive piece of kit.

well, the mean wind speed is available for the other stations so I've been multiplying that by the difference in the speed here.

I have the weatherlink datalogger, just no software yet

well, the mean wind speed is available for the other stations so I've been multiplying that by the difference in the speed here.

You should have got the software with the Weatherlink datalogger. Was it a brand new unit they gave you??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Cumulus will work with your Davis unit if you want to get up and running straight away.

nilhg wrote: »
    Cumulus will work with your Davis unit if you want to get up and running straight away.

Thanks, I could only find a version for pc, not osX

You should have got the software with the Weatherlink datalogger. Was it a brand new unit they gave you??

No it's not new, they have the weatherlink software for pc but not the macs that we use at the house at the minute they are coming every month to download the data from the logger.

To illustrate the high wind readings we are getting. the average for the last hour 4-5pm today was 40.32 kmph .

The only station on the IWN website that was above it was malin head at 43 kmph.
    The nearest met station (6km away) to me had 22kmph. the next nearest (25km away),(an airport) also had 22kmph
    And the next one ( a weather buoy) (40km away) had 35kmph

No it's not new, they have the weatherlink software for pc but not the macs that we use at the house at the minute they are coming every month to download the data from the logger.

To illustrate the high wind readings we are getting. the average for the last hour 4-5pm today was 40.32 kmph .

The only station on the IWN website that was above it was malin head at 43 kmph.
    The nearest met station (6km away) to me had 22kmph. the next nearest (25km away),(an airport) also had 22kmph
    And the next one ( a weather buoy) (40km away) had 35kmph

There shouldn't be such a big difference. Its a problem with your station i would imagine. Check in here www.wxforum.net, lots of Vue owners in there some who might have had your problem. Otherwise try contact Davis. If that fails get the crowd who gave you the unit to replace it. After all false wind readings for them are not much use.

There shouldn't be such a big difference. Its a problem with your station i would imagine. Check in here www.wxforum.net, lots of Vue owners in there some who might have had your problem. Otherwise try contact Davis. If that fails get the crowd who gave you the unit to replace it. After all false wind readings for them are not much use.

I got in touch with the company, they still think the readings are correct, as the results seem so promising they are putting some thought into putting up an ultra sonic station that can do some 3D wind modeling, which sounds very cool. the company move really slow so I'll potter along with this one for a while and when the davis comes down I'll calibrate it with another station to see if it's been accurate all along.
    Thanks for all the input.
    Wazzo

Advertisement