Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to get to Glengarriff in Cork from Dublin?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey everyone,

I am wondering which would be the quickest and cheapest way to get to Glengarriff from Dublin? I have done a bit of research as to how and i'm totally confused as to which option to take on. If anyone knows the best way, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks,
    Sonia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Bus Eireann from Cork if you arent driving..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,496 ✭✭✭✭L1011

M8 to Cork, N25 round Cork, N71 to Glengarriff if you are driving. N71 isn't marvellous but Halfway is bypassed, Bandon and Clonakility have relief roads, Rosscarberry is bypassed, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I think Skibb has a relief road too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

MYOB wrote: »
    M8 to Cork, N25 round Cork, N71 to Glengarriff if you are driving. N71 isn't marvellous but Halfway is bypassed, Bandon and Clonakility have relief roads, Rosscarberry is bypassed, etc.

If driving, an alternative route is M8 to Cork, N25 round Cork, N71 to Bandon, R586 to Bantry, then N71 to Glengarriff. That route isn't as around-the-country as it might sound. Once you get into Bandon, you take a right in the town centre and pretty much keep going until you rejoin the N71 a few miles outside Bantry. However it does take you through some towns and villages, so you might get caught up in local traffic depending on your time of travel.

In any case, if you are driving, there are two tolls on the M8: near Portloaise and at Watergrasshill in Co Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

corktina wrote: »
    Bus Eireann from Cork if you arent driving..
    Aircoach half an hour quicker though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

NuMarvel wrote: »
    If driving, an alternative route is M8 to Cork, N25 round Cork, N71 to Bandon, R586 to Bantry, then N71 to Glengarriff. That route isn't as around-the-country as it might sound. Once you get into Bandon, you take a right in the town centre and pretty much keep going until you rejoin the N71 a few miles outside Bantry. However it does take you through some towns and villages, so you might get caught up in local traffic depending on your time of travel.

In any case, if you are driving, there are two tolls on the M8: near Portloaise and at Watergrasshill in Co Cork.

your route is actually a better shorter road than the N71 ands has a 100km/h speed limit on most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Aircoach half an hour quicker though.

I think corktina may have meant Bus Eireann from Cork to Glengarriff. Though if Aircoach were to do West Cork to Cork City, it would make my travels home alot more comfortable.
    corktina wrote: »
    your route is actually a better shorter road than the N71 ands has a 100km/h speed limit on most of it.

Out of curiosity, what's the speed limit on the N71 between Bandon and Skibbereen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's the speed limit on the N71 between Bandon and Skibbereen?

80-100km for the most part with 50km sections for the villages/towns along the route.

Advertisement