Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Poor Customer Service & False Advertising

Options
  • 31-05-2011 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

I saw a meteor advert for a €35 12 month plan and an Xperia Arc for €199 & I thought it was a good offer.I went to the carphonewarehouse with all my documentation to purchase . I also had a voucher from a work group scheme which entitled me to 25% off my Monthly bill which would now be €26.25 p/m.This was looking like a good deal until I went to pay and was told that I needed to pay a €300 deposit up front.This means that I would have to hand over €500 in store and pay €26.25 on top of that for 6 Months. No details of how the deposit would be refunded were given and the rep in carphone warehouse told me that it would probably be a credit. This was also confirmed by Meteor customer care when I got through to them after holding for 15 minutes. The agent told me that I needed to ring direct sales the next day so that is what I did. After holding for 10 minutes I was put through to direct sales. I was told that I needed to speak to customer care.I got through to customer care (after holding for 15 mins) and was told that they could not help me and that it was something to do with a credit check. They told me that there was an address I could write to but that they didn't know it and I'd have to go back to the carphone warehouse and get it there......... This is where I gave up.

I can't understand this as I have been an O2 customer for 3 years and never missed a payment. In fact I have never missed any dd comittment... ever!! I own my house (and am luckily not in negative equity) and have been in a good job for 3 years. I wanted to join Meteor but have really been put off by your poor service and false advertising. I have compared the deal as advertised to the deal I was offered below.

Advertised Deal.

SE Xperia Arc € 199

€35 - 25% = €26.25 p/m for 12 Months.

Total contract price €315

Instore offer

SE Xperia Arc € 199

deposit €300 (no confirmation how this would be refunded)

€26.25 p/m x 6 €157.50

Total 6 month cost €656.50
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Not correct. I am also paying €157.50 for the 6 months. So at the end of the 2nd 6 months (when the contract ends) They will still have €142.50 of mine which they will need to refund. I was told that this would come in the form of credit which ties me in to Meteor for another few Months. The false advertising comes from the inital outlay of €199 for the phone. When you are really handing over 500. Sure you can buy the phone outright for that. Maybe misleading advetising would be more apt

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Every network has deposits schemes and terms and conditions.

Theres tons of people with great credit rating but they cant even take out a bill pay plan. And its the same story against all networks.

You get your deposit refunded back into your account as far as i know.

Most people wouldnt pay straight up for 6 months. They pay monthly so whatever they pay for the phone in the shop is just it + deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Your problem is that you're dealing with a dealer, not the network. Any Meteor store would have told you that the €300 would be, by default, given as a credit. If you choose, you can have it refunded into your bank account. It's in no way false advertising, and is clearly displayed on their website about bill pay
    What you need to sign up
    To join Meteor Bill Pay you must be over 18 years of age.
    You will need the following to fully complete your Bill Pay application.
    Proof of ID
    Your passport, drivers license, EU National ID Card or International passport.
    Proof of address
    A recent utility bill, a recent bank statement, a letter from bank, building society or credit union, a motor or income tax credit or a motor insurance certificate.
    Your bank account details
    To set up your monthly direct debit mandate.
    Your credit card details
    To make an order online
    Please note your Bill Pay application will be credit scored and you may be asked for a deposit.

Deposits don't go on your credit scoring the same way a bank does it, as Meteor/O2/etc don't have access to all that, but it's based on their own internal scoring. Either way, there was no poor service or false advertising based on what you are saying there. You're just reacting the way most people understandably feel about getting deposits: annoyed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

chrislad wrote: »
    Your problem is that you're dealing with a dealer, not the network. Any Meteor store would have told you that the €300 would be, by default, given as a credit. If you choose, you can have it refunded into your bank account. It's in no way false advertising, and is clearly displayed on their website about bill pay

Deposits don't go on your credit scoring the same way a bank does it, as Meteor/O2/etc don't have access to all that, but it's based on their own internal scoring. Either way, there was no poor service or false advertising based on what you are saying there. You're just reacting the way most people understandably feel about getting deposits: annoyed! :)

The problem isnt you where dealing with a dealer either , the problem was the guy/girl serving you didnt know the network policy in relation to how Irish networks deal with Deposits.

It gets refunded to your bill after 6 months or you can request to have it paid back instead. The credit check system can be quite random it seems , ive heard of €450 deposits on some networks for people with decent credit ratings you would assume (Mortgage, car payments up to date etc).

The opposite also being true , students living with parents working part-time not being asked for any deposit. Such is life !

Advertisement