Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Earnin' a Crust?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I know there are other threads for unemployment and jobseekers but I wondered how things are in this thread for the oulwans 'n oulfellas regarding work? I was made redundant 2 years ago. Did a full time Business+IT course for a year which gave me Level 6 qualification. I got a temporary job for two months recently which is now finished and I have been turned down for JA because hubby is working and over the limit. Now I've no job, and no income. I am doing some voluntary work but its temporary. Are the over 50's expected to just lie down and die? What do you all think? Should I just forget about looking for a job at this stage? Am I just driving myself mental even trying? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm lucky enough to have not been in the situation and so have little to offer in terms of experience. What I would say though is to play on your age and experience and make them count for you rather then against you in application forms.
    Play up your wealth of experience. Emphasise your stability, i.e. not going to be flying off to India to find yourself for a year.
    You easly see the big picture rather then getting bogged down in minuta.
    Less likely to have Monday morningitess and less likely to turn up to work with a hangover.
    You have a lower tolerance for bull****, either giving it or taking it and this is a great trait for dealing with troublesom and longwinded customers and clients. You are more likely to be a straighttalker.

You get the idea. Polish your CV.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for your comments OldGoat but I've been doing all that for two years, and the CV sparkles too much really because when I did get into a couple of interviews the interviewers said my CV was very impressive but still didn't get me anywhere.

Not really looking for advice on how to do CV or jobseek as I've done all that to death already. I just wondered what others in my position were considering at this stage.

Thanks anyway for taking the time to reply, appreciate your interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I had a lot of time unemployed unfortunately. So, I went to college to "return and learn" it got me the qualifications to go to Uni as a mature student. After that I returned to a career I had left years before. Now I do the same job I did in my teens/twenties. (But for more money)

Rubecula wrote: »
    I had a lot of time unemployed unfortunately. So, I went to college to "return and learn" it got me the qualifications to go to Uni as a mature student. After that I returned to a career I had left years before. Now I do the same job I did in my teens/twenties. (But for more money)

Congratulations for doing all that and getting the right result! Didn't work for me unfortunately, and besides I couldn't afford to go to Uni as a mature student.

I know I sound like an old misery guts. Forgive me, but I really don't want to fade away......not yet, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Are the over 50's expected to just lie down and die?
    OldGoat wrote: »
    What I would say though is to play on your age and experience and make them count for you rather then against you in application forms.
    Play up your wealth of experience. Emphasise your stability, i.e. not going to be flying off to India to find yourself for a year.
    Thats good advice from OldGoat. Experience is invaluable and a lot of potential employers recognise that.

Sure, there are loads of graduates out there seeking any type of work and while they have all the letters of the day after their name it counts for nothing when it comes to experience.

You also have the added bonus (and I mean this in a sincere and honest way) of emphasising the fact that maternity leave will never be an issue. That point should never have to be raised but there are, sadly, employers out there who just dont want to employ females who may go "missing" for almost half a year.

Im in my 50's and self employed as an architectural technician and sadly the building boom and the recession in general has really hit hard. But I still get clients coming to me and saying that they prefer to engage someone like myself who has loads of experience in dealing with planners, builders etc. So yes, experience is a big, big, asset.

Keep the chin up and Im sure something will come your way.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. Am taking it all on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

My father who is in his mid 50s worked hard all his life on building,labouring ect.
    has been out a work afew years now. He hates it . He hasnt really adapted
    to modern technology very well and doesnt agree with having toput together a c.v to find a new job

he is very experienced but just a shame he hassnt papers or qulification to prove it.

its hard for older folk these days

Mc Kenzie wrote: »
    My father who is in his mid 50s worked hard all his life on building,labouring ect.
    has been out a work afew years now. He hates it . He hasnt really adapted
    to modern technology very well and doesnt agree with having toput together a c.v to find a new job

he is very experienced but just a shame he hassnt papers or qulification to prove it.

its hard for older folk these days

Your father is one of the old brigade! Maybe he could put a notice up in the local shopping centre/newsagent offering building services, handyman services? Might be worth a try.

Advertisement