Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Internet

Options
  • 31-05-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have just password protected my wi fi router, a Huawei b260a wireless gateway. My Toshiba laptop while will connect via wireless will not show any internet pages. My sons Dell does not have any issue. The Toshiba is ok when connected to the router via a cable. there was no problem before i password protected the network. Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

are you sure the dell doesn't have an issue?? that's strange?

did you change the password on your son's computer? I assume you changed the pass on yours? and you have selected the right type of encryption?

it will always work if it's plugged in, because none of the security malarky matters if you're "Direct Injecting".

My guess is you just have to forget the network on your laptop, then enter the new password when you try to reconnect??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It still remembers the old settings that's why it won't work. Go into windows networking and manually delete the old wifi. Then connect again and you will be prompted for password.

Old wifi: WHATEVER_NAME no encyrption
    New wifi: WHATEVER_NAME wpa2 encryption

Windows is dumb and won't realise that is has changed if it has the same name. Manually delete the old network.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 murraypjm

hi, the Dell just requested a network key, when password was put in all is fine, and laptop no longer requires you to enter a password to connect to our router, The toshiba is still failing to show internet pages even though it shows to be connected

done that and even went to security tab and entered password (security key) but still no change, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Try the age old trick of turning everything off (computer and router) then turning everything back on...

I'm surprised that forgetting the old details and entering the new ones didn't work... I'm out of ideas.

• Advertisement

well went for the old trick, all off, did not seem to work, then clicked on the globe in internet sharing and all working again, thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What operating system?

If windows - open your command prompt, type in ipconfig and tell me what it says for Default Gateway for your Wireless network connection, and your IPv4 address.

If the IP starts with 169.*, it means it's not receiving an address from the router. If default gateway is blank, it means you're not connected to the router tirelessly either.

How old is your network card? What mode is your router set to (802.11b/g/n?)

when i type in ipconfig the dialog box does not stay open long enough for me to read the contents, the router is set to 802.1.1 auto channel 11 network card is about 6 or 7 years old, operating system is xp

You need to open your command prompt first. Type CMD, and open that - then type ipconfig in there. Set the router to 802.11g and see if it makes a difference. I've noticed some newer routers with g/n modes cause problems with older G cards, even though they should be compatible in theory. I have this problem with my android phone actually, which will only connect in G mode, opposed to G/N.

the modem is set to 54g auto, default, when cmd, then ipconfig is typed there is no show for the wireless network connection, unlike my dell laptop

• Advertisement

If you can't see wireless network connection, then your card is not being detected. Make sure to scroll up and down looking for it. It should be there. If not - check your network connections and make sure a wireless network connection is listed there.

wireless network connections does recognize gateway, the network, but not in command prompt,,done the scroll up/down

Advertisement