Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-booked holiday problem?

Options
  • 31-05-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have an interview tomorrow for a job which I'm so happy i got.
    I have been looking for a job for a year and a half, the problem is that I have a pre-booked holiday at the end of july for two weeks.

Should I mention this in the interview or when I'm being offered the job?

People have told me to just take the job then work for a month then your entitled to one week holiday then just take a week holiday and if they give me no holidays at all then just cut your losses and quit with the two months experience.

Others have told me to tell them in the interview but I'm afraid that they won't hire me and hire the guy that is free all summer?

Anyone have similar experience?

Thanks,
    Don

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

Personally, I would be honest with them early on. If it comes up during the interview, mention it then (don't lie to them!). If it doesn't arise during the interview, I would mention it in passing around the time they are offering you the job. When saying it to them, stress that the holiday was booked before you knew about the job etc. I'm sure most employers will expect employees to take holidays during the summer months.

I think that most employers would appreciate you being honest and up-front with them, rather than leaving them in the lurch. Just my 2c!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

Thats what I was thinking but can they change their mind while offering me the job when they hear I need two weeks off?
    Its only part-time though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

donfarrell wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking but can they change their mind while offering me the job when they hear I need two weeks off?
    Its only part-time though

I would be honest about it. You won't be entitled to a week off after working for a month, whoever told you that was incorrect. You'll have to look up part time workers entitlements and find out what you'd be entitled to depending on the hours you're doing. If it's a job you'd really like and would pursue again even if they say no this time, I'd be honest.

If you don't care, don't, but if you stay in the same field it might come back to haunt you in the future, and in my own personal view, it's just bad karma to mess people about, but that's just me :)

PS...you haven't been offered it yet so don't worry too much and see how the interview is going first up!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I wouldn't bring it up unless asked in the interview. If asked explain the situation and whether you were prepare to take it as unpaid leave which I have had to do previously after starting a new job with holidays booked so soon after starting.

If offered the job and the issue still hasnt been raised then raise it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

donfarrell wrote: »

People have told me to just take the job then work for a month then your entitled to one week holiday then just take a week holiday and if they give me no holidays at all then just cut your losses and quit with the two months experience.

Others have told me to tell them in the interview but I'm afraid that they won't hire me and hire the guy that is free all summer?

no, you will have accrued some leave, but not the right to take it when you want. That is largely up to your employer.

I would mention it if you get a job offer, or if it comes up during the interview. I wouldn't bother bringing it up voluntarily during the interview. But the chances are they will ask about your availability, and I would consider that an aspect of it given that youll only be in the job 5 weeks tops by the time the holiday comes around. Depending on the job, they might have training programs etc they want you to attend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've been in the same position. Recently took up a role, and was asked at interview whether I had any leave booked. I was honest and explained I'd be away for a few days later in the year. Employer was fine with it.

I'd be honest and tell them if I were you.

Advertisement