Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming Mileage

Options
  • 31-05-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi Hope someone can help.
    I currently claim mileage on a private car at the civil service rate.
    I am thinking of changing to a commercial crewcab jeep type vehicle.
    Can I claim mileage at the same rate for a commercial vehicle?
    I am an employee of the company ad spend a lot of time on the road.
    I would not claim VAT back on the deisle but would hope for cheaper road tax as commercial.
    Thanks
    Con

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Might be tough taxing it as a commercial if used privately. Plenty of threads on motors forum about whats going on in that space.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

As above either you use your private car (taxed privately) and claim mileage at civil service rates,

Or you have a commercial vehicle (taxed commercially) which the business owns and pays for the running of (No personal use)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

If you have a commercial vehicle paid for by your work it can also attract a BIK on the value of the Vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

DoMyBooks wrote: »
    As above either you use your private car (taxed privately) and claim mileage at civil service rates,

Or you have a commercial vehicle (taxed commercially) which the business owns and pays for the running of (No personal use)

What is the law now as regards using for personal use?
    Wasn't some minister saying that they would not like to see the Guards proscecuting people who did the school run, mass etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

afaik this was rolled back on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What is the law now as regards using for personal use?
    Wasn't some minister saying that they would not like to see the Guards proscecuting people who did the school run, mass etc?

I think the OP will be doing more than the school run, mass etc

If its taxed as commercial its only meant to be used in this way. It seems that it is down to the luck of the draw and who you get while taxing if you can "get away with it".

Advertisement