Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Lean to greenhouse

Options
  • 31-05-2011 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I am about to start this little project but there are a couple of points I would appreciate some guidance on.

I plan to build something like this from scratch.

i am trying to figure out what the best way to frame the windows (I will probably use perspex), see attached options A & B. Are either of these options fine or one better than the other (for the wall and roof)? I will put sealant on the external joint too.

Also, would I be mad to use standard deal and treat / paint it instead of pressure treated timber?

All contributions welcome!

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

you'll probably use a variation of both depending on detail location. IMo go for the best externally treated timber you can (its about lifespan), pressured and then painted. also think carefully about your junctions with the ground and flashings with the existing wall. also think carefully about drainage in these locations, you want to avoid water sitting anywhere near timber, whatevery way its treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

BryanF wrote: »
    you'll probably use a variation of both depending on detail location. IMo go for the best externally treated timber you can (its about lifespan), pressured and then painted. also think carefully about your junctions with the ground and flashings with the existing wall. also think carefully about drainage in these locations, you want to avoid water sitting anywhere near timber, whatevery way its treated.
    Thanks Bryan.
    I'll price up some decent treated timber so. I thought as much but looking to save where I can!
    I was just going to bolt the horizontal and vertical supports to the wall. Should I be doing something else re flashing?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

James_M wrote: »
    Thanks Bryan.
    I'll price up some decent treated timber so. I thought as much but looking to save where I can!
    I was just going to bolt the horizontal and vertical supports to the wall. Should I be doing something else re flashing?

yes, dpc protection for the timber and definitely consider a lead flashing dressed into the existing wall (presuming its a plastered wall) to stop any water coming down vertically and continuing down into the shed.

Its thinking about all the end-grains of the timbers. they will perish quicker if water can penetrate there.

Advertisement